Stolen 4473s

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by goofy, Jul 28, 2020.

1. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I received a PM asking me about if someone broke into a FFL and stole all the 4473s how would the FFL contact the buyers and tell them there info. was stolen. The person who asked me did not think posting this question on the open forum would be a good Idea.
    What do you think?.
    My answer was.
    If someone broke into a gun shop they would not be doing it for the 4473s but for the guns.
    And said that a FFL selling guns are suppose to have a very good alarm system (With cameras and alarms) and the LEO would be there to get them as they left the shop.
    And the FFL is suppose to have the 4473s locked up.
    I went on to say that there are easier ways to get your info. (By computer hacks) then breaking into a gun shop which is a BIG felony and a good way to get shot dead.
    Why would someone take a chance on getting busted and charged heavy charges AND possibly get your brains scattered across the shop.
    I said that I think that breaking into a shop for info. (4473s) would be a stupid and VERY dangerous way to get that kind of info. when all they have to do is hack into your computer.
    And I said yes a FFL can get the 4473 info. but IF this happened the FFL has to contact the ATF and they would be the ones to contact all the 4473s that were stolen.
    And there are other places a FFL keep info. of sales and all the info. of the sales.
    Again what do you think?.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  2. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT No Power Options Supporting Member

I`ll just stick with the question asked. How would you contact the former and current buyers. Taking the 4473`s is not the only record of sale. I won`t mention the others.
    Stealing 4473`s from a dealer to me would be to know where firearms are located to be targeted. If you think by not taking firearms from the dealer-only 4473`s is a lessor crime, your fooling yourself. Seems a fools errand question.

tedwitt, Limbo Jimbo, Broot and 3 others like this.

3. rawright54

rawright54 Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work Supporting Member

Breaking into a gun shop to steal the 4473s would be as sensible as breaking into a bank to steal the vault door. Even so, various anti-gun groups would love to get that information, including a few government agencies. When we transmit the information to the NICS system, after a decision is returned to us, the FBI is required to erase the information. Does anyone really believe that the Bureau is going to let go of any information they have in hand? I don't.

A few decades ago I worked for a pizza place owned by a close friend of one Italian with family in Chicago; that friend is the one who got him started in the business. Several years later, a friend of mine who worked as a night clerk in the Los Angeles FBI office, called me one evening. He'd been exploring in the files (yes, paper files) and found one with my name on it. Apparently I was a "known associate" of a mafiosi. Go figure.

4. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

Here's my question. Other than the information the buyer fills out, what information does the FFL add?

Limbo Jimbo and goofy like this.
  5. goofy

You now have to add a drivers lic number. And the new 4473 ask if you are male/female/ and now Non-Binary and if you answer Non-Binary we have to ask for a drivers lic that say that and a picture ID that says that. we also add the gun, ser. number of the gun and make and model of the gun.
    Other things we add is the NICS number and there answer.
    And yes there are other places we are required to put all info. in.

Limbo Jimbo and howlnmad like this.
  6. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

No hacker has the ambition to break into anything....other than another computer. That and I can't think of any info that's really on a 4473. I don't believe getting the drivers license # of someone in Missouri does them any good.

Limbo Jimbo, joe45c and goofy like this.
  7. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

Thanks Mike. I wasn't sure how much info about the purchase was added.
    Binary or Non Binary? That's all 0s and 1s.

8. goofy

Non-Binary is for (READY FOR THIS) trans gender or someone that has gotten the surgery or THINKS they are not what they were born as (Male/female).
    Most of the info. on a 4473 can be gotten on the internet with some research. AND a few bucks.

9. BlackEagle

BlackEagle TFF Chaplain Supporting Member

Glad Mike elaborated on binary/non binary. I was going to say the non-binaries are all a bunch of 0's

Limbo Jimbo, Broot and goofy like this.
  10. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

I thought the non binaries are Dimocrats.

11. djthumper

djthumper Well-Known Member

There has been a lot of unemployment fraud going around lately. I got a call because someone tried to file for unemployment using my SSN.

BlackEagle likes this.
  12. BlackEagle

BlackEagle TFF Chaplain Supporting Member

That too. And liberals. They are all a bunch of zero's.

Broot likes this.
  13. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Many, many years ago someone either working on the inside, or on the outside going the dumpster diving route, obtained a listing of NYC Firearms Control Board (long gun) License holders, and with an accomplice - both posing as police officers - proceeded to visit the license holder, gaining entry on the pretext of clearing up this or that paperwork snafu. Once in the license holder was handcuffed to something immovable - a kitchen fridge in the case I'm familiar with, and the long gun(s) cleaned out.

goofy likes this.
  14. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Oh OH i can see where that question right there will trip up a few people nowadays!

OPPS i guess i should have read post #8 before i posted post #14.:oops:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2020
    BlackEagle and goofy like this.