Stopping a Home Invasion in its Tracks?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Maritime Bob, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Maritime Bob

Maritime Bob Well-Known Member

There has been some discussion in my home about what the best weapon to have immediate access to - in order to immediately immobilize an assailant that is within 10 feet of someone in my family.
    I proposed that my .45ACP pistol would be the best choice, but I'm not sure. I have access to a .45 in a secure but accessible place and a .357 revolver (likewise) as well as a .22 auto hidden/secure as a last resort. I own several shotguns, but can't get to them readily. I'm sure some of you can help me out on this. My guns are in good working order, I practice quick access scenarios, and know how to use the guns. How much gun? Auto or revolver? Hollow points or ball? Any tips will be appreciated. I'm talking "stop dead in tracks" from a charging criminal intent on hurting me or my wife! I've taken combat courses in the Navy (my instructor chiefs swore by our 1911's) but that was a long time ago.

2. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

The 45 has advantages, low pressure less noise and flash, a bit more capacity than the 357 mag with faster and easier reloads. The 357 arguably has the best wallop per shot but has lower capacity, a lot of flash bang and recoil. The 22 is a bit underrated IMHO fast accurate shooting is far easier than the others BUT it is less reliable and every bit of the accuracy is needed as it has to hit something important.........
    For me no matter which pistol you go with it is only a stop gap till the 12 gauge can be deployed. 12 gauge when someone needs to stop what they are doing NOW.

3. Maritime Bob

RAL, the shotgun would be my first choice but my wife doesn't like the idea. I have placed the .357 in the closest proximity to our bedroom (where we would likely escape to) we both know how to use it (I told my wife to keep pulling the trigger until it stops) In NJ you have to retreat to the last resort area and your life has to be directly threatened - of course if someone breaks your door down with you and yours inside, what the hell is he doing? Thanks for your comments - I wish I could put some kind of suppressor/flash hider on the .357 to address your issues with it - but impossible in this State.

Arteest and flboots like this.
  4. GeneSC

GeneSC Well-Known Member

I vote for shotgun 16g, or 12g.

VIOLATION OF TFF POLICIES.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2020
  5. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

No one should ever own or have in their possession anything that is against the National Firearms Laws and Regulations. It is not worth it and a sure way to end up in serious trouble.

6. Maritime Bob

Thanks Gene, but in Communist NJ even law-abiding righteous shootings are prosecuted. So my chances of using a sawed-off are highly unlikely. My father was a strong proponent of a 12 gauge and kept a sawed off 12ga. in our house in Philadelphia, but that was in a day when all you needed was your word and a dead body inside your front door. Looks like I'll stick to the .357 and keep the doors locked. Our area in South Jersey near Atlantic City is usually pretty safe (everything is relative) but we do have home invasions and crime in our region and this State favors illegal aliens, felons, gun control, does not issue carry permits, has "Red Flag Laws, and prosecutes every gun related case. It is an accepted fact that even if you are attacked in your own home, you will be arrested, your guns will be confiscated, and even if acquitted, you will be sued by the scumbag's family - and they will win!

Alaska444 and flboots like this.
  7. mudman35962

mudman35962 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

what ever you have it MUST be handy. i mean close. bad people will NOT give you time to protect yourselves. i have two neighbours that are proof. both still alive.

shootbrownelk, REM1875 and flboots like this.
  8. Maritime Bob

I agree and - see my response to GENE SC - That goes for every state and especially in NJ!

REM1875 and flboots like this.
  9. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Well-Known Member

My always-close home defense gun is my Colt M1991A1, in .45ACP. In my current home, I have some distance between me and my closest neighbors. Overpenetration isn't the huge concern it was at my other property, but is still in mind. But the shotgun is now locked away.
    I also have a .22LR revolver close at hand, but it is backup for the Colt pistol.

REM1875, flboots and mudman35962 like this.
  10. rcairflr

A 16" sawed off shotgun is illegal. That was the point of my post

shootbrownelk and flboots like this.
  11. flboots

flboots Well-Known Member

I would say which ever gun you were comfortable using in a high stress situation with love one near by or near the line of fire. The shotgun would be nice than you have to think of the pattern if the pellets would hit someone you don't want shot. I would go with the handguns with hollow points. Even the 22

ms6852 and REM1875 like this.
  12. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Sorry GeneSC but your above post has been modified. You are advocating something illegal and TFF does not condone unlawful activities

Alaska444, Rae Harrison and REM1875 like this.
  13. REM1875

REM1875 Well-Known Member

TEXAS - near Buffalo Springs -Clay County
    That truly is sad ...... but you are there and there isn't much you can do about it

The best way to survive both attacks from the criminal and the elected criminals is to present the smallest target ......Nothing pro 2A, no military, no funny 911 vs 9mm signs or displays. No displays of gun books or magazines, reloading equipment hidden in basement or garage and covered when not in use.
    You don't want your weapon to have the appearance of self defense as a primary purpose. So that leaves hunting or target shooting basically (they are not fans of re-enactors due to the link with patriotism and cowboy action leaves them with the taste of WILD WEST frontier justice in their mouths)
    Your weapon needs to speak of another primary use and self defense as an after thought.
    As short a hunting shotgun as possible - while a single shot would be a wise choice to present to the anti-gun DA it's not the wisest choice for self defense. So a double barrel or pump (without extended magazine or pistol grip) loaded with store bought bird shot paints you as the victim as much as possible. AND THEY DO WORK and work damned well. You are better off presenting yourself as the occasional bird hunter than let them portray as some insane right wing, gun crazy, killer who baited the poor criminal into your house just so you could kill em.

Look this involves your freedom, life, the lives of those around you, your cash, livelihood and possessions. There is a time to fight and time to go with the flow. It's not just the anti-gun judge and DA but they have convinced a lot of the population that you dying while waiting for the police is far preferable to you even owning a gun..... and despite what they say some jurors will be exposed to the media's anti gun rant about the incident, and they will be on your jury.

This is truly sad but you may be able to get out of it with your freedom and maybe even your gun rights intact.

We still have room for conservatives in Texas .....but i understand obligations to family and job don't always make this possible ...

mudman35962 and reflex1 like this.
  14. rcairflr

IMO, in your home, especially at night, your first line of defense should be a good alarm system. No firearm is going to help if you are asleep and a bad guy sneeks right up to your bed.

bonkerpro, Clipper, Bigdog57 and 2 others like this.
  15. Alaska444

Alaska444 Well-Known Member

The gun that is in your hand is the best gun. I don’f intend to have anyone within 10 feet of my family.

I start with security doors on all outside access.

I ALWAYS carry inside the house. Our CCW instructor taught us, “If you are going to carry, carry all the time.”

So, the gun in your hand is what works best.

bonkerpro, rcairflr and ral357 like this.