Stopping a Home Invasion in its Tracks?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Maritime Bob, Feb 13, 2020.

1. GeneSC

GeneSC Well-Known Member

bob, that is sooooo sad, Seems like our government is more for the criminals nowdays than the innocent folk that want to protect their family and property. ( and it's getting worse EVERY WEEK) Glad I live in a Southern (SC) state, BUT more and more the Democrats (don't mean to get political) want More gun control and take away your Constitutional Rights! and seems like we have very few people in Government that will stand up for the Constitution!!!
    God Help Us in twenty more years.....

2. Alaska444

Alaska444 Well-Known Member

Got that as well. I have three handguns, an AR 15 and 20 ga.

Whichever I get to first.

3. GeneSC

GeneSC Well-Known Member

I have two alarm systems in my home and outbuildings, but If one alarms, The F***** alarm co will call me and ask if it's a legitimate alarm??? WHAT good is that??? you're already killed or tied up or knocked out or something before they even notify law enforcement, and I live in a rural area and it will take them at least half an hour to respond!! WHAT GOOD IS THAT??

4. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

I guess you really missed the point. No one said anything about waiting for the Police. Your alarm system should have an audio alarm that is very loud in your house. The point wasn't to call the Police, the point is that the audio alarm should wake you up or if you are up watching TV or playing with the kids or wife, it should alert you of someone trying to break in.
    What good is a shotgun if it is sitting up against the wall and the bad guy has already snuck up on you?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  5. Nor Cal Mikie

Nor Cal Mikie Well-Known Member

With a SIREN loud enough to blow the paint off the NEIGHBORS house!!! And, a fresh can of Wasp and Hornet spray on the table by the front door. The Ladies don't like to mess with guns?? Spray will do the trick and will shoot 10,15 or 20 feet with wasp/hornet killing accuracy.;)

Bigdog57 likes this.
  6. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

Bad guys don't like a loud Siren.....
    Bad guys really don't like you getting the drop on them while they are tying to climb through the window......
    Bad guys like to sneak in without being noticed.....

Nor Cal Mikie likes this.
  7. Catman1942

Catman1942 Well-Known Member

alaska 444 is right. what ever gun you get to first if you dont have one one you. i have several hand guns loaded around the house in drawers. 45 long colt, 38 special 22 mag and 22 long rifle. make sure your double doors are always locked. as is the windows. we are going to get a camera for the two front doors. the west door nobody comes to or can even get to or go through. wait untill they kick in both doors and come in. someone told me a long time ago in the military, never one shot into a bad guy, 3 fast ones in the center of them. also never ever use hand loads in your guns that are for defense. that is the first thing a lawyers for the bad guys family will ask you. was it hand loads in your gun. i dont think it matters what cal you use, 3 fast ones in the diaphragm or in a vital area will stop most of them, if not,do more. we dont have a dog but a dog that a very good with the family and very alert is a good choice also. the big bad ones are not always the best. research show some beeds of dogs will not falter in a tight spot but some will, even the big ones. if you get a dog, research it, some of the smaller ones are very aggressive to strange noises and will never back down. another thing i learned on the rez from going into natives homes to see patients is this. alot of them made a device to put in front of their doors at night that makes it very hard to break a door down, even the weaker ones. they take a 2 by four and cut it the length of waht the width of the door is. they take another one about that long and screw them together so they forum at T. you lay that in front of you door. the one will cover the width of the door. the T part sticks back. you drill down through it near the back for a long bolt, drill through the 2 by 4 and into the floor. the hole in the floor will hardly be noticed or not noticed at all. at night. or when your concerned put the T up against the bottom of the door and drop a bolt into the hole down through it and the floor. you can break a lock but in order to break this protected door in you would have to destroy it and you are waiting for the with your gun and they are toast. when you leave use this on the most insecure doors. the one you go out will have yo be strong and double with very good locks. another trick i learned on the rez was this. it would most likely get you in troube but it works. under the windows put a 3 ft by 2 ft piece of plywood with hundreds of nails screwed up through it. that goes under window with a thin towel over them also can be put on the first step up or down stairs when you are gone. not noticed because it looks like a rug. when some breaks into your house when you are gone and steps on one of these it will change his world very fast. hard to get of and hurst like crazy. check ER/s after the break in for foot injuries. could get sued over this one. natives live in a harsh inviorment, they adapt well and figure things out fast for safety. these two things are not my idea, but what ive seen on the rez. lots of good baseball bats in every part of the house also. ive seen a lot of swollen heads in my day from being hit by a baseball bat.

8. Firedog

Firedog Well-Known Member Supporting Member

VT, Just under the Nostril of the Witches Nose
    Well then you must call up your monitoring company and you can tell them how you want the call list to go. Your alarm company should have explained that to you after they set up the system.

9. Maritime Bob

Maritime Bob Well-Known Member

Wow! Mikie: I like the wasp spray idea and/or bear spray. I will pursue that also. My wife can work a spray can! The wasp spray is not threatening to anybody who simply sees it, but it sure will work on a home invader and I can mount it right near our foyer doors and elsewhere. I am an alarm believer too (self-contained remote wireless and internal siren like Simply-Safe)
    Our back doors are glass but have both floor locks (foot operated from the inside) and pry resistant latch locks and
    by the way, our front and side doors are steel reinforced security doors. I might be chubby, but I ain't stupid! Nevertheless thank you all for your suggestions and comments.

10. GeneSC

GeneSC Well-Known Member

Sorry, what policies did I violate, so I'll know next time???

11. GeneSC

GeneSC Well-Known Member

Weeeell sometimes it's not a bad idea, because we have opened a door on an occasion or two and set it off and they call and we tell them we forgot to disarm the alarm. BUT after bedtime it would be a good idea to have it contact police immediately. but it would STILL take them thirty minutes to respond. SO--- I believe the BEST first line of defense is a good weapon
    Sorry, I was actually responding to rcairflr's post about alarm systems. Police in my area
    (rural) takes a while. (didn't mean to step on your post. LOL

12. GeneSC

GeneSC Well-Known Member

Of course you are correct, AND I dont have anything in my possession that is Illegal. shouldn't have made the comment about the 'sawed off' Sorry

13. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I explained it in post #12

14. GeneSC

GeneSC Well-Known Member

Sorry, gdmoody, wasn't thinking, glad you modified it, Thanks.

15. GeneSC

GeneSC Well-Known Member

Got it, Thanks

gdmoody likes this.