Stopping a Home Invasion in its Tracks?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Maritime Bob, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Alaska444

Alaska444 Well-Known Member

Well stated. That is what I consider the alarm, God forbid, and early warning system so I can wake up, grab one of my 5 guns, or maybe a couple of them and be ready for anything. We also have solid doors, not those flimsy put your hand right through variety and keyed locks. If the door was a bit closer to our bed, I would put a 2x4 to brace the door like I do in the front of the house and the garage to the laundry room. This with the security gates on all three doors.

My wife wants to get video, but haven't settled on the right system, nor do I want one more spy system for the Guvment to utilize. Ring Doorbell has internet connections.

But calling the police is after I have already got the home defense ability to stand up to whatever may come, God forbid. Hopefully I never need to use any of my defenses, but I already have twice before in CA.

The first night in a new house, we had ADT come over and set up a wired alarm system, most of which was already prewired from the builder. The tech said it is already to go , but not connected to the phone system yet because we didn't have the telephone company over until the next day. That night the alarm went off and we found a damaged screen window the next morning in the back of our house.

The second incident was when rumors of a large, dark hispanic male doing home invasions during the day after ringing door bells. I was home alone with my 20 ga upstairs when I heard the doorbell followed a few seconds later by vigorous bumping of my door. I waited upstairs shotgun in hand and then watched as a very large, dark, hispanic male walked away. The security gate did its trick. In addition, I had installed the locks backwards, replacing a light bulb is a big event for me in our house, and if he was "bumping" the lock, he would not have known to turn the key the opposite direction. Really, HIS lucky day since I was waiting for anyone to come through the door.

So, yes, these security measures are important and I wish we could convince our kids to get the security gate, but our daughter just says, they are so ugly.

2. Alaska444

Alaska444 Well-Known Member

No need for illegal sawed off shotguns with shotgun pistols and this 18 inch barreled monster.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/sta...trols-matte-black-finish/FC-854581007220.html

3. Firedog

Firedog Well-Known Member Supporting Member

VT, Just under the Nostril of the Witches Nose
    you have to protect yourself so what ever you decide that fits your needs, police are just a reaction to something that happened.
    you might be able to set up with monitoring company after a certain time it just an auto police response.
    I hear you about living in rural area, we have a Barnie Fife and our State police go to bed at 1:30/2:00 until approx. 6:00.

4. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

As much as I love the .357 mag, it would not be my first choice for an "in the house" situation. Too much chance of it going through the bad guy, through the wall, and into your neighbor.
    I was recently reading on the difference between 40 s&w, and 357 sig. While the 357 sig out preforms the slower, heavier 40 in almost every category, the 40 is well documented on one shot stops. When the bullet stays in it's target, it imparts all of it's energy into "knock down".
    That said, the best gun is the one you are most comfortable with. An accurate hit from a 32 is more effective than a miss from a Cannon.

5. Catman1942

Catman1942 Well-Known Member

years ago some one or some group, i can not tell who, it was too long ago. did a study on what did the best as a hand gun on one to one. the .22 revolver came up high. it penetrates but wanders. and the end results was it was very effective in shooting some one. remember it wanders in the body and 3 shots always when you shoot a bad guy. also in WW2 the thompson 45 may have killed more germans than anything else carried by the americans. the germans were very afraid of it. when they heard it let loose when they were fighting they crapped in their german pants. their you are guys and gals, what has been proven by history.

6. Maritime Bob

Maritime Bob Well-Known Member

I like the .22 and have one in our bedroom as a "go to" final resort. I've loaded it with hollow points, and run the risk in this State of "possessing hollow point ammunition" which I have been told is against the law. I don't give a damn - if it saves my life, I'll live with the jail term. This is a serious issue for all of us. Many non-gun owners think guns are "bad" and if you use one in self-defense, they seem more inclined to judge you to be biased, or you hated whoever you shot because of race, gender, or some other violent intent. They don't think anyone should ever use a firearm, and think because you did - you are "suspect" I know people who say "I'll never allow a gun in my house!" Yet they allow hammers, knives, cars, matches, and opiates in their cabinets. All of those kill more Americans than legally-owned guns and are the best self-defense tools available.

7. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

I know people that don't allow handguns in their house, simply never go in their house. I've been wearing a concealed 9mm for years to our weekly card game here in town, I don't know for sure but not one person has ever made one comment about it! Business's that don't post no fire arms I carry in and keep my mouth shut. If no firearms is posted I simply don't do business there. Hospitals and government building's I leave the gun in the car. But one time I was visiting a friend at the hospital in Bend, Ore. Posted no firearms and I simply walked right past it. No body said the first word and when I figured out I was still carrying I took it back out to the car. There's a post office I always carry in also but small town and I doubt many people here really care! I don't go into other post office's. I think with a business if you want them to recognize our right to carry then in return we have to recognize their right to tell us to keep them out of their store. That works both ways.

Bought a new gun for the girl friend at the Bi Mart some time back. The salesman wouldn't let me carry it to the check out and then after paying he carried it to the door and handed it to me outside. I was a lot better armed than he was! My gun was loaded! :)

8. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Why risk it when it's questionable you are gaining anything? I would use the highest velocity solid that functions reliably in your gun.

Alaska444 likes this.
  9. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

A home invasion happens so quick that many people are caught off guard. Pre-planning is key and you have to strategically place weapons or firearms in areas around the house that will help you survive and protect your family from the attack.

You should take into consideration where you spend most of the time in your house and what your family members are mostly doing at those times. Figure out where your invasion will come from and have your points of retreat prepared with your defensive weapons easily accessible to you. I always carry in my house, whether I am in my pajamas late at night or other wise. This is where a small caliber lightweight pistol shines. I carry my 380 in my robe unholstered as it is light and you can still relax . I know it's a .380 but this is my immediate line of defense wherever I am in the house that will give me 8 chances to get to my main handgun or shotgun.

If children are of concern than you may consider wearing a neck knife.

Alaska444 likes this.
  10. Maritime Bob

Maritime Bob Well-Known Member

I have already taken your advice. I was a bit uncomfortable with the hollow points and am going with .22longrifles. It is truly a shame that in this State with the Democrats and Liberal rat-politicians, screaming for reducing magazine capacity to five-shots (that means a 6 shooter is now a five-shooter) Does anyone think a home invader - who breaks in when we are at home - is carrying a gun that complies with any law? His gun is loaded to the max - is likely stolen, and he will outgun me if he can. You would be amazed at the reasons they give to limit magazine capicity - they are ludicrous. NJ is at 10 now and going down to five rounds max - that makes most magazines illegal and that is the very reason they are doing it! Makes Me Sick.

Alaska444 likes this.
  11. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

Not if you buy a Mossberg "Shockwave" or similar shorty shotgun with an abbreviated stock & barrel from the manufacturer.

12. Clipped-in

Clipped-in Well-Known Member Supporting Member

ms6852's comments resonate with me. Way back at an earlier chapter in my life, a favorite theology professor was fond of observing, "We all greatly respect our own opinions, and those who share them!"

His comments are an almost perfect description of my observation about home invasions and how to prepare. I'll offer a few other thoughts below.

The comments I'm offering is a perspective I wish I had thought of 30 years ago. The fact is, I learned it all in the USMC and just didn't realize it at the time.

- Security in the house = bio-metric, or push-button if you prefer, single-gun safes at the critical places you need to place a weapon for ready access.
    - Weapon function & familiarity = the same weapon x however many places you need to hide one.

Multiples of the same weapon means the family members can go to the range and practice on equal footing. Ammo purchases are less complicated. And the same piece at all spots reduces the potential for panic or error in a crisis moment. And it means you don't have to remember which piece is stored in which safe.

I'm gradually shedding miscellaneous pieces and moving towards the above in my own set-up. Weapons wise I'm almost there with this one exception: a .380 is my robe and jammies piece. When we are all up and dressed, my EDC piece is either being carried at 4 o'clock, or on the sofa to my right, which puts it pointed at the front door.

Safes will come next. I'm shopping now with a view to mounting options and reliability factors.

ms6852 likes this.