The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son purchased an 8Lb canister of Alliant B86 powder. I would like to take 1/2 of it with me to AZ.
My question, what type/style container?
My main concern is static electricity, in the type of container.

Any help or insight would be helpful.

Scratch 1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was toying with the idea of a plastic doggie treat jar, approximately 2lbs.
Also what about spraying the inside with dry graphite powder? This my help with static.
Scratch 1

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
If you are worried about static, just go to any computer repair shop and ask for a static bag. Put your powder in any container and place it in the bag and tape shut.
Most places will let you have one for free. ( at least where I live)

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
To keep static out of the powder measure, I wash it in sudsy dawn soap and let it air dry with the soap on. Wouldn't that work in the various plastic containers. Make sure they are dark plastic.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I have used one quart plastic opaque jars to hold small amounts of powder so I wouldn't have to keep an 8 lb jug o my bench. I make very sure the only markings on the jar are the name and lot number of the powder...

I once saw a video of a feller trying to ignite some smokeless powder with electricity, both static and DC. Unable to get any powder to burn except with an arc...

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Thanks Guys - so a plastic jar - wiped - air tight
that's what it's gonna be.
Scratch 1
My advice is to put that clear plastic jug in side a bag that won’t let light in. Heavy duty paper freezer bags will work, and they are free at any grocery store.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I kept my empty one pound powder bottles, so I can transfer from the 8 lb. jug to the smaller one, properly labled of course. Simple.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Guys, I enjoyed the MSDS read, lots of good info there - and spray painting the jar, off to Lowe's, have many colors but BLACK - LOL
I feel more at ease knowing that many have tackled this problem before.
Scratch 1

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Yep, nuttin' "magic" about smokeless powder or it's storage. Just keep the powder in a container that keeps the powder dry (snug fitting cap), won't let any light in to degrade the powder, and can be clearly marked with it's contents (if you reuse 1 lb jars either use the same powder as originally in them or completely remova any labels)...

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
"......properly labeled, of course." o_O

Reactions: mikld

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Yep, nuttin' "magic" about smokeless powder or it's storage. Just keep the powder in a container that keeps the powder dry (snug fitting cap), won't let any light in to degrade the powder, and can be clearly marked with it's contents (if you reuse 1 lb jars either use the same powder as originally in them or completely remova any labels)...
Duct tape is your friend! Just apply a fresh strip, and write on it what you need.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
If possible, use an empty 1 lb. gun powder container relabled as Bigdog57 stated. The plastic used for gun powder containers is of an anti static type.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts