The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all the members here, I am totally new to this forum. I joined today in search of
a good solid source of information and sharing experiences relating to [firearms, reloading, hunting], etc. I hope to be able to learn more about the hobbies I enjoy, and also share any knowledge I may have that might be useful to You, collectively. Respectfully, I would like to lead off a discussion revolving around Load Data for the 6.8 SPC cartridge to be used in AR-15 rifles. My data will be given from my personal experience in loading, and having been tested in My rifle which has a Spec II barrel, 16" Stainless, 1:7" twist rate. All the loads I will present have been tested by me, using this rifle, and proven safe & effective in My Rifle. I will follow the "Rule" and expect anyone reading this will also follow the "Rule" -- Rule: When hand-loading rifle or pistol cartridges, one should always assume that the powder charge is high, and therefore begin loading at several grains Below the listed charge amount to avoid accidentally using too much powder, causing a dangerous High Pressure discharge in your firearm, which could potentially cause damage to your firearm, and personal injury or death.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
6.8 SPC 100 grain Spitzer (AccuBond) -- Hodgdon H335 Powder (29.5 grains) yields 2615 fps and 1250 ft/lbs. Energy @ Muzzle. This is a very good load for anything between hogs to white tail deer within 100 yards.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
6.8 SPC 90 grain HP Match / flat-base bullet -- Hodgdon Lil'Gun Powder (21.0 grains) yields 2850 fps and 1175 ft/lbs. Energy @ Muzzle. This is the same load I used to take this boar seen in the profile pic. He weighed about 130 lbs and ran 0 yards after the shot. Dropped in the dust left by his traitor friends who ran off like they didn't even know the dude. That shot was taken at about 85 yards. Entered behind the shoulder, exited (fragments) front of right shoulder.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Welcome aboard.
Hodgdon mentions your 90 gr and Lyman 49th the 100 grain. How did you choose to settle on those two components given all the options? Just curious as I usually choose the main bele curve available powder that I can get locally then build off that. PS: I don't have the 6.8.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Drymag. I too usually choose a load using the most readily available powder, as that is the hardest component to get, but I also try to choose a powder based on the performance-to-pressure ratio (my terminology). I try to stay well below the Max Pressure specs for each caliber & specific load. If I see in the loading manual that for a 110 gr. 6.8spc the max pressure listed among all the different loads is 54,000 psi, I try to choose a powder that will give me somewhere in the neighborhood of 46,000-48,000. Always keeping in mind that velocity is not the only attribute you seek. If you don't own a 6.8, It's one I will recommend you try to get. It is a superb round. Amazing results for me since I've owned my first one back in 2008. Love It!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
6.8 SPC + 85 grain Barnes tsx or Nosler E-Tip + Reloader RX15 Powder (28.5 grains) = 2,950 fps --- Super fast, super Accurate load. 16" AR-Stoner Barrel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts