The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
So the new Sig P320 M17 without thumb safety. What is the conventional wisdom on how this pistol should be carried. As a longtime 1911 shooter, it makes be a bit nervous with the lack of thumb or grip safety. I understand keeping the booger-puller of the bang switch and I understand that the main safety lies between the ears, but is it considered safe to carry this with a round in the chamber and the striker cocked and the only thing between you an boom is a short, light trigger pull?

If you have to rack the slide to bring it to function, it is ALMOST useless.

Am I being over paranoid?

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
So the new Sig P320 M17 without thumb safety. What is the conventional wisdom on how this pistol should be carried. As a longtime 1911 shooter, it makes be a bit nervous with the lack of thumb or grip safety. I understand keeping the booger-puller of the bang switch and I understand that the main safety lies between the ears, but is it considered safe to carry this with a round in the chamber and the striker cocked and the only thing between you an boom is a short, light trigger pull?

If you have to rack the slide to bring it to function, it is damn near useless.

Am I being over paranoid?
No, not paranoid at all. I bought a Glock 40, my first Glock, for woods carry. I have a chest holster from Gunfighters INC. The gun in that position points at my arm I do dialysis in which has a blood flow over 4 L/min. That is nearly equal to the Aorta which is 5 L/min in most people. My Glock has about a 4 lb trigger pull compared to my Sig 229 and Sig 227 double action pull of 10 lbs. I also have Ruger SP101 in 357 that I had planned on carrying as a BUG to the Glock. I have now decided just the opposite. The Ruger will be my primary gun and the Glock will be a BUG with a loaded magazine, but not racked. Most Bear attacks are decided in only a couple of shots. If it is more than 5 rounds needed, hopefully, if ever happens, the 5 rounds would have slowed the beast enough to allow me to rack a round.

So, no, you are not paranoid at all. An AD or ND for me in that situation, drawing from a chest holster would be very rapidly fatal if it hit my dialysis access. So, no you are not at all paranoid. Further, you should NEVER carry a gun you don't have full confidence in. My Sigs in a leather holster are reliable and have a decocker so I can rack a round and then keep it on DA pull. That is very similar to a revolved with a DA pull. My choice of carry guns.

If I see a bear and have time, I would rack the Glock 20 first and keep the Ruger as BUG. But no, I have already decided not to carry my Glock in a ready position with a round in the chamber.

·
Super Moderator
27,516 Posts
I have 2 striker fired handguns, one I carry on occasion. Yes, with a round in the chamber and no safety other than the trigger. If you're careful while holstering it and keep that booger hook off the trigger while drawing, you should be fine.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had the same question, I own a P365XL and it is my first striker fire pistol. I have been uneasy about carrying it with one in the chamber ready to fire. Never had this problem with my 1911's. I ended up installing a manual safety and am more at ease carrying it now. As you said carrying on a empty chamber and having to draw and rack it is not the ideal way to carry.

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
One of the reasons I went with the Sig 229 in .40 and 227 .45 is I feel very comfortable drawing them from a holster locked and loaded but in decocted so it is a double action pull. I don't have the confidence with my Glock yet, but it is probably the most popular maker of LEO guns out there. It is reliable and for the most part, always goes bang when you pull the trigger.

So, I wouldn't carry anything as a primary gun you can't carry in a loaded position from the draw.

Here is an example of a man who "thought he was armed," but in reality he was not. The Robber shot him while he was trying to rack a slide. Carry what you feel confident with. Many carry Glocks with great confidence. I am not there yet. But I would not carry it as a primary gun not ready to shoot immediately. I probably just need more range time with it to feel that confidence, but it is not like my Sig when it comes to confidence of avoiding an AD or ND.

Reactions: ms6852

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Not to be the wet blanket here about the Sig P320, but I have seen a few videos were that pistol was made to discharge if dropped and hit the ground at an absolute perfect angle. The test I saw was the pistol was dropped from about three feet, or the average hip hight of a male. The pistol had to land hitting the back top edge of the slide. This test was performed dropping the pistol at different angels, but when the perfect angle was found, every time it would discharge. As a side note, all the testing was done with blank cartridges.

I have competed in mock combat back in the 1980’s, and the only time I had seen pistols or revolvers dropped was when re holstering the sidearm. It is simple to just look down at what your doing.

Understand that as far as a Tupperware pistol, I really like how the P320 fits my hand and it has a superb trigger for being a DA only pistol. It is the most natural pointing handgun I have ever tried, and despite the possibility of it discharging if dropped, I would still consider buying one in 45 ACP, although I would opt for the thumb safety model, but only because I like to ride my thumb on the safety as a place to rest it. I also like the trigger group and slide rails being all together in a removable chassis for easier cleaning and re lubricating.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I thought the problems with the Sig P320 were over after the recall for the drop problem. Then on another forum, they were talking about the P320 going off unintentionally. My first thought was it has to be human error, bad holster or something that catches the trigger while holstering.

Then someone posted this video which would make me shy away from the P320, at least one without a manual safety. I'd thought of maybe one day buying one since the grip module would interchange with my P250sc which is dao.

I'm wondering if Sig isn't wishing it had gone with that safety device on the trigger that most of the other striker guns use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts