The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.. I just got some Mil-Surp.. Stripper clips for my SKS...:D
I cleaned the the "blood" :confused: cosmoline off of them, now... what's the best maintenance practice for theses things so they won't rot as they sit around with rounds stacked on them?
Thanks in advance,
Shawn Dow

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
A light oiling should do the trick. Be sure not to soak them, just a light coating.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
As carver said but be sure to NOT use a penetrating oil. It can ruin primers.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking spraying it down with rem oil and wiping it off?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Stripper Clips ???? Don't they use those to hold on their pasties ? :)
Having been in the Navy I have NO idea what you are talkin about;) I get erked when someone calls a magazine a "clip" I just see some DI making the offender do a LOT of pushups for that error:D

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Correct.. its a stamped spring steel strap that holds.. in this case 10 rounds,.. when placed above the opened breach (which exposes the "box magazine" ) it fits into a groove cut in the bolt carrier.. allowing you to rapidly push (10) rounds down into the box magazine... Ill post a pic tomorrow afternoon... after work.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Having been in the Navy I have NO idea what you are talkin about;) I get erked when someone calls a magazine a "clip" I just see some DI making the offender do a LOT of pushups for that error:D

Marlin used to call them both...just to be safe.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
I still call magazines clips more often than not. Sometimes I do it just to irk people that I know it irks.:D

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK.. time for pics! Note, empty stripper "CLIP". Stacked stripper "CLIP" and the stripper "CLIP" in place in the bolt carrier. There is a set of notches milled in the carrier to receive the "CLIP" once in place... push the stack down into the "MAGAZINE"
So... Did we get the terms straight? :rolleyes:
Just a side note here.. My Type 56 SKS does not hold on to the stripper clip in the magazine like an M-1 Garand will with the EnBloc "CLIPS"... so I don't get the cool "Piong!" sound when final round empties.:mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
OK.. time for pics! Note, empty stripper "CLIP". Stacked stripper "CLIP" and the stripper "CLIP" in place in the bolt carrier. There is a set of notches milled in the carrier to receive the "CLIP" once in place... push the stack down into the "MAGAZINE"
So... Did we get the terms straight? :rolleyes:
Just a side note here.. My Type 56 SKS does not hold on to the stripper clip in the magazine like an M-1 Garand will with the EnBloc "CLIPS"... so I don't get the cool "Piong!" sound when final round empties.:mad:
Yup got in one. Talk to or read some old WWII vets accounts of that "pong"- it means you are reloading in the middle of a firefight sooo the enemy pours on the fire and may even "rush" your position to overrun it while you are reloading. The WWII and Korean vets figured that one out quick. They kept and extra "empty clip and Ponged in to the ground while STILL having ammo left and when the enemy tried to rush them while They thought the GI were out of ammo- well they never made the mistake again because they were dead.:D

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yup got in one. Talk to or read some old WWII vets accounts of that "pong"- it means you are reloading in the middle of a firefight sooo the enemy pours on the fire and may even "rush" your position to overrun it while you are reloading. The WWII and Korean vets figured that one out quick. They kept and extra "empty clip and Ponged in to the ground while STILL having ammo left and when the enemy tried to rush them while They thought the GI were out of ammo- well they never made the mistake again because they were dead.:D
I've heard that.. carrying an empty one to make the "point" sound, it when they in fact have full magazines... kinda sneaky!

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've heard that.. carrying an empty one to make the "point" sound, it when they in fact have full magazines... kinda sneaky!
In combat your are either sneaky AND quick or you are DEAD. There is only one rule IMO the survial of your squad (the men and women you serve with) and maintaining SOME modicum of humanity after the fighting is over. The last is the hardest to do afterall you have taken human life. Some may have actually got to liken that concept. That is were sanity leaves you and you become an animal not human. OR you feel so bad about butchering the people you kill when you come "home" you do not want to be around people any more. Lot of fellas and lady combat veterans are homeless in part for that feeling.:(

1 - 20 of 31 Posts