Stuck cleaning brush in my 1861 Springfield

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by soonerfan66, Sep 12, 2017.

1. soonerfan66

soonerfan66 New Member

A couple days ago after shooting my Pedersoli 1861 Springfield rifle I was cleaning it and the cleaning brush got stuck and pulled out of the rod . Have tried to screw it back on , fish it out with a small hook , tried a 45-70 shell tied to string , air compressor and putting some black powder in threw nipple . Shooting it out may have worked but not sure . Using a bore light I can not tell if it is out our not . The original ram rod pings when I drop it down the barrel and about 3" of the rod is left sticking out . Can anyone tell me if that matches their rifle. I use a longer ram rod when shooting and cleaning . And I know I should have the rod marked or something and I will after this !!! I just want to be sure before loading and shooting it again . Any help will be great .

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Hold the rod on the outside of the barrel and notice where it ends. Then stick the rod in the barrel and if it is about the same, then the obstruction is gone.

3. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

If 3" of the rod sticks out - the brush is still in there. I have 1/2" of ramrod sticking out when the barrel is empty on my 1861.

Having been shooting these things since the early 70s, I have also had the same thing happen. I managed to retrieve my brush with a one piece cleaning rod and a LOT of patience (and teaching my dog a lot of new words that I can't use around the family) - and finally managed to screw enough of the brush's threads to extract it.

If you are pretty sure the bore IS empty - you **could** remove the nipple and shine a small flashlight beam thru the nipple screw hole. If you can see light when you look down the barrel - the bore might just be empty.

jwdurf, Kweeksdraw and crystalphoto like this.
  4. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

With that much rod sticking out I'd say it's still in there and a good reason not to use brushes. I don't use anything but bore mops. I doubt you got enough powder through the nipple to do anything. Take the nipple out and get as much powder as you can into the breech and then fire it out and point it at something you can see it hit.

5. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure a brush will allow any pressure to build up, what with it being a brush and all, but it ain't gonna hurt to try it.

BlackEagle and jwdurf like this.
  6. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

Small flashlight bulb taped to thin wires lowered down the barrel may be????

7. jwdurf

jwdurf Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Tie some heavy fishing line to a strong hook and tape it lightly to the end of your rod so the hook sticks out a bit. Push it down the pipe and work it around until that hook grabs the brush then pull it out. Don't get your face in the way.....

jim brady likes this.
  8. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

I kinda doubt that will work. When you push a bronze brush down a muzzleloader barrel and try to pull it out the bristles reverse and it will be stuck hard.

BlackEagle likes this.
  9. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

I would just spend the $20 and by a cheap Chinese scope used for inspecting drains. It works like a charm and you can use it to see if the brush is still there. And you also get a chance to inspect the inside of your barrel.

ms6852 and CCHolderinMaine like this.
  10. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

I'm probably going to catch a little flack for this but you may need to remove the breech plug, or have a qualified black powder gunsmith do it for you.

As a general rule you don't remove those things except as a last resort after all else fails. You will need a real barrel vise and an action wrench to get the job done without marring the finish on your barrel.

Plumbers vices and pipe wrenches are NOT the right tools for the job.

After you get the brush out of your bore, don't put it back in there. ;)

Kweeksdraw and BlackEagle like this.
  11. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do it except as a last resort. Reason being it may not line back up right when you put it back in and will require lathe work to get it right. I've seen where that's happened on TC Hawkens. You could get a co2 discharger but I still say get enough powder behind it and it will shoot out.

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  12. Grayrock Volunteer

Grayrock Volunteer New Member

If you have a proper wiper attachment (worm) for your ramrod you may be able to use that to pull it out. Picture is attached for reference.
    wiper.jpg

13. soonerfan66

soonerfan66 New Member

Sorry been out of town a few days but with a rubber hose that would fit down the barrel and a wooden rod I FINALLY got that brush out !!! Thanks for all the replies .