Stumbled on this 22

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by bsparker, Sep 12, 2020.

1. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

JMOP You can make it look brand new. But you loose 30 to 40% of it's value. In fact you can make it look much better then new with a good hot blue and full checkering but as I said you loose value by doing that.
    But I have to tell you I have taken a $150 valued gun at 100% and after redoing it adding checkering and hot blue I was offered and got 2 times it's value because it was one of a kind of that model.
    You will never get what it would cost YOU to do but sense I do this as a living I can do the work and sell it for a profit.

2. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, I wasn't doubting you, I had just never been aware of this before. The reamer pic says it all. I'm going to do some research on this, and see if I can find an explanation of what Winchester was up to.

tedwitt and shootbrownelk like this.

3. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

In my eyes that gun is to nice to mess with. I would look for something with much more wear to play with. That's just me as it is your gun and you can do what you want to with it.

DCman, BlackEagle, goofy and 7 others like this.
  4. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I agree George. If’n you’re gonna learn I’d pick one not near as nice.

BlackEagle, goofy, tedwitt and 6 others like this.
  5. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ditto.

goofy, tedwitt, shootbrownelk and 2 others like this.
  6. pdkfishing

pdkfishing Well-Known Member Supporting Member

One more vote in favor of leaving it as is. IMHO it looks too nice to qualify as a project gun. :twocents::)

7. bsparker

bsparker Member

The votes have been tallied....I'm going to leave it as it. I agree, too nice for a project gun. I'll leave her as she is, and keep eyes pealed for another project.

In the morning, I'm going to call my local gunsmith about the sight ramp. If no luck, I'll call Wisner's and also get an extra set of original springs (they have purchase minimums). Hope to get this out for a range report this coming weekend.

One more photo...just because.

IMG_4310.JPG

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020 at 8:28 PM
    DCman, gvw3, BlackEagle and 7 others like this.
  8. bsparker

bsparker Member

Appreciate the expertise. I had been interested in checkering and wanted to try it out. From the photos in the ad the guy posted for this gun, it looked in rough shape. Given the condition of this one, I will not be trying my hand at checkering on this one.

I've been interested in checkering since I fashioned a "single-piece" grip for a SAA this past spring. I figured it wouldn't turn out well so it'd be a nice test piece. The grips turned out better than expected, fit perfectly, too nice to test on. But I would like to get some experience. I'll hold off for another project and in the meantime, start learning on some scraps. Definitely doesn't look easy, but wanted something to learn and be able to focus on. I know it's out of my league but I gotta start somewhere...just not on this 67.

Thanks for sharing in info in this post and your follow-up!

BlackEagle, Grizzley1, joe45c and 3 others like this.
  9. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

Well, this old dog learned something new today. Ned Schwing's book on the Models 1890 and 1906 addresses a .219 bore on these .22's.

tedwitt and BlackEagle like this.
  10. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

bsparker, you might be able to pick up some old beat up or cracked stocks at a gun show for a few bucks to practice on.

johnsxj, tedwitt, bsparker and 8 others like this.
  11. pdkfishing

pdkfishing Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Another fine old rifle saved. :thumbsup: +1 with grs as to standard velocity ammo. I have a 1915 vintage Stevens Favorite purchased cheap because the prior owner shot it loose using hyper velocity ammunition. BTW, old rifle looks even better up close. Waiting on a range report. :)

Edit: Not surprised that Trap knew where you could find an elevator at a reasonable price. Lots of good folks willing to help on TFF.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020 at 6:05 PM
    tedwitt and bsparker like this.
  12. msheff

msheff Well-Known Member

@bsparker try shooting it without the sight ramp. It may have been removed on purpose. My 67 is accurate without the ramp.

DCman, tedwitt and bsparker like this.
  13. bsparker

bsparker Member

Hope to get out this weekend. Front sight seems off center also but again, going to shoot before touching anything. Fingers crossed.

tedwitt, DCman, msheff and 1 other person like this.
  14. DCman

DCman Well-Known Member

I think you got an EXCELLENT deal!
    Those guns are fabulous!
    Congrats. :thumbsup:

joe45c, bsparker and tedwitt like this.