The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A long time ago, I got a PSL (Romak III) because I thought it was a cool "sniper" gun. I think I paid $800, and I got a case and used scope with it. I got nowhere with it, and I felt stupid because I could have had something like a Remington 700 or Winchester 70 cheaper. I bought Russian ammo which was supposedly made for snipers, and I got 2.5 MOA. I also had to replace the trigger group because the slap was so bad it made my finger numb.

Now it's an $1800 gun, for no apparent reason, and people are claiming to shoot sub-MOA with it. I am considering dusting it off.

Can anyone recommend a brand of ammo that shoots accurately from this gun? I mean real sub-MOA accuracy?

·
GUNZILLA
6,422 Posts
What is the rifle twist on that rifle? I shot one a couple of months ago, a cold bore shot hitting where I was aiming, but the other two shots gave me a 2.3" inch group at 200 yards, just a little over moa. I don't know why it spread out. I would try the Sellier and Bellot hollow points. Stay away from heavier bullets as I understand according to the owner of the rifle stated that with heavier bullets the receivers are prone to crack. You might have gotten one of those rifles that won't shoot any better.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea what the rate of twist is. I placed my order, and they sent me a rifle. Maybe I can find the information online.

·
Registered
9,768 Posts
Use a tight fitting patch on a jag, it will turn with the rifling as you pull it through the bore.
Mark your rod and pull or push it though the bore until it makes one full turn measure how many inches the rod moved to make that full revolution, that will give you the twist rate.

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
2-2.5 MOA is about it...Is it 7.62x54 or 8mm?...You will have to reload to get under 2MOA and it won't get much better than 1.5" if you find the sweet spot.I t will start vertical stringing once it heats up with the pencil barrel....Soviet sniper doctrine was to get rounds on people not precision head shots.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
There is a dude on Youtube getting sub-MOA, so it has to be possible.

The PSL is 7.62, and it wasn't made or designed by the Soviets. It's Romanian.

Various web sources claim the twist is 1:10.

I did something I should have done at the start. I checked out the Youtube guy, and he uses Sellier & Bellot 174-grain match. He also says he uses a KNS adjustable gas piston.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
PSL's tend to favor 148 gr bullets if I remember correctly.
This^^^, don't run heavy ball through it, or you'll break it!
Russian 7N1 "Sniper Ammo" is a farce, it's a "knocker round". When we first adopted the .223, the bullets were designed to deform when contacting soft tissue at velocities over 2800fps. The Russians countered with the 7.62x39 Knocker round. A knocker is a loose fitting lead core inside the bi-metal jacket, with a small void inside the tip. On contact, it "knocks" into the nose of the jacket, deforming it. They used the same bullet design in the 7N1, and just the way the bullet is made, it's the least accurate.
For accuracy with milsurp ammo, look for the light ball FMJ (usually marked with a silver tip) with a boat tail bullet, and stay under 150grns. Figure out the scope's range finder, with that round, and a good trigger, it'll put em right where they are suppose to be. Get a recoil buffer too! Every spam can has at least one round that'll hammer the bolt back.
Don't know if you can find it anymore, but Czech silvertip is the most consistent/accurate.

·
GUNZILLA
6,422 Posts
I did something I should have done at the start. I checked out the Youtube guy, and he uses Sellier & Bellot 174-grain match. He also says he uses a KNS adjustable gas piston.
From what I have read on the internet, you know they tell the truth all the time, heavier bullets tend to crack the receiver, if it is true I would use 147 grainers.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Were itme, I'd simply get whatever I could find and take it home. Remove the ammo from the box and clean each one with 0000 steel wool. Return the ammo to the box and tape the exposed edges to keep contaminate's off the brass. Store the ammo in and protected environment. Then get out the rifle and throw it away and buy a Rem 700!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts