Subcaliber device question

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by gdmoody, Apr 11, 2009.

1. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I wasn't quite sure where to post this question but since it has something to do with Rimfire, here it is.:confused:

I have one of the gas operated Bushmaster M4-A3 rifles. I just ordered a .22 conversion but I do not know if the .22 rimfire would have enough power to operate the bolt. I am pretty sure the rifle has an adjustable gas system, but still I am not sure.

Does anyone have the conversion and a gas operated rifle? Does it work without problems? Any information would be appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  2. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL Active Member

The rimfire is different, it does not depend on the gas system. Unless you installed or ordered an adjustable gas block, you can not adjust it.

A diticated upper will be complete, the bolt conversion is a drop in and uses a spring as does any other rimfire semi-auto.

Blackdog magazines are a must 28 rounder...........the best

If yours is a 1/9 twist.....the subsonic 60 grain aguila .22rf is great!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009

3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

I used a JA Ceiner Kit in my Bushmaster with no problems.

4. gdmoody

I just realized a mistake I made in the description. It is a gas PISTON system. There might be a different answer for that one. I apologize for the error. I just home from work and I was looking at the responses when I realized the error.

5. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL Active Member

It makes no difference. A complete .22 long rifle upper contains the bolt group, the other style is just the bolt group, take yours out and replace it with the .22 long rifle bolt. Conversions are spring operated just like other rimfire semi-auto`s.

It does not matter what the operating system is on yours.

.223 Centerfire (GAS)
    .22 Rimfire (SPRING)

6. gdmoody

Thanks, toohsotkil, after I ordered it, I had a panic attack thinking I had just wasted $200 that could have been used elsewhere (saving for Kimber).

7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The AR when shooting centerfire cartridges uses gas from the fired round taken from a point closer to the muzzle end of the barrel to operate the bolt. In original form the gas was routed back to the bolt where it pushed the bolt open. In the piston operated version of the AR the gas is confined to the gas port area at the front of the gun. The gas enters a chamber there and pushes on a piston located there as well. A long mechanical link (rod) reaches back to the bolt carrier and pushes the bolt open with a mechanical force (rather than gas).

The rimfire conversions work entirely differently. They do not use the gas port in the barrel at all or the piston with the mechanical link back to the bolt carrier. They are blowback operated. That is, the gas pressure builds inside the case and that expanding gas in the case pushes the case out of the chamber against the recoil spring and the inertia of the mass of the bolt. The case self extracts from the chamber and imparts a force to the bolt which operates the bolt. The extractor holds the case to the bolt face until the edge of the case is hit buy the stationary ejector. That flips the case out of the chamber area of the gun. When the bolt reaches the end of its rearward travel, and has cocked the gun's hammer, the bolt is propelled forward by the now collapsed recoil spring. The bolt strips off a new round, chambers it and completely closes. The gun is now ready to be fired again.

So it does not matters what kind of operating mechanism your center fire unit uses, the 22 LR Conversion Units don't use it but use a blowback operational design.

LDBennett