The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
TFF Chaplain
20,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really pleased. A friend let me shoot his muzzle loading black powder rifle in our club competition. I think I have shot it before, about a year ago. He asked if I would like to shoot it in this year's competition. Rules are 1 fouling shot, two convertable sighters, and 10 to count, in roughly an hour. I won, with a score of 89. Runner up scores were 88, 87, 86.

My friend has also asked if I would like to shoot his 45/90 in an upcoming black powder cartridge competition. I have had some practice with this gun; sighted it in a couple of weeks ago.

Here's the target. Two of the holes are "double hits" so it only shows 10 holes instead of 12.

Target 16-6-13.jpg

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Nice shooting.

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
Shooting is fine, competing is great but WINNER! WINNER! Well, :dancingdots:

·
TFF Chaplain
20,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. I usually make everyone else look good on the range. :D

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Nice shooting indeed!
How far was the shooting distance if I might ask?

·
TFF Chaplain
20,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice shooting indeed!
How far was the shooting distance if I might ask?
100 yards. The black part of the targer looks about the same size as a pinhead at that distance.

Strange thing is that he has the same sight system on his 45-90 and on a Sharps 45-70. I was able to do the same thing with the 45-70, but he sold it a year ago so I was shooting the 45-90 this year. I could not get it to hit consistantly at all. We are going to work on the loads to see if they get any better.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Nice shooting BlackEagle and have to agree, 100 yard target, open sights...good man!
My eye's aren't what they used to be, but open sights @ 100yds isnt an easy task, especially with hits like yours!

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Well, well BlackEagle... Very nicely done and Congratulations! :)

One of these days I'll find me a black powder rifle or two. Having a couple of them would allow me to extend hunting season since we have a week or two that is black powder hunting only.

·
TFF Chaplain
20,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Oops. Sorry;
It was peep sights, something like this for the front sight... http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=116_152_153&products_id=5804

and like this for the rear sight...http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=116_152_154&products_id=459

Now my street cred is probably in shreds... :eek: :eek: :eek:

But it was fun anyway, and thanks all.
Not by any means!!!
I've only used, what I call peep sights a few times and it flat-out aint like no scope shooting!!!
VERY well done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts