Suggestions on Carry Revolver

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by johnlives4christ, May 11, 2009.

Taurus, Rossi, Charter Arms, Smith & Wesson

Poll closed May 18, 2009.
  1. Charter Arms

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Taurus/Rossi

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. other, please explain below

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Smith & Wesson

14 vote(s)
    43.8%
  1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

im going to take a concealed carry class saturday. and im thinking about what type of gun i want for a carry gun. i want a revolver over a semi auto, mostly because i just like revolvers.

i am considering a taurus although i dont know a model number,
    and also a charter arms, again model number
    and a rossi, no model number again

the last time i was at the gunstore i favor, i looked at all 3 and they all seemed to be good quality, i havent had any experiance with any of them. the gunstore owner says he carries a Charter Arms, i checked the website and it gave me confidence to some degree, american made, lifetime warranty, it explained why they have a bad rep due to bad years an so on.

i have enough money now to buy any of the cheaper guns, even though i would rather have a smith. but they are getting hard to find around here, never see any used ones. none of the dealers can get anything.

and also i had a smith model 66 that i had some trouble out of. was shooting full power loads, sometimes some 38s too, but it went out of time twice, and both times Smith and Wesson fixed it at no cost or shipping. but it made me kinda leary since i've heard they are so good.

my buddy has a keltec pf9, with a clip installed so no holster needed, and i have tried it out just a tad and it carries great. but i just dont really like little bitty automatics.

the last reason im considering a revolver is this, ammo. i cant find ammo in common calibers... but since i have a 357 already, i have some ammo on hand, in both 357 and 38. since i dont want to buy a gun without having ammo, it makes since to me.

out of the 3 that i mentioned considering the rossi i liked best because it was 357 and the others was 38, but i dont have any experiance with any of the them, i've heard taurus were good if you get a good one, and bad if you dont. so any advise or other suggestions would be appreciated

thanks

God bless All
    ~john

2. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Cant go wrong with an S&W IMO never had a problem out of my 686 in .357

3. Red84

Red84 New Member

Ive had a few Taurus revolvers, and I have loved all of them. Right now I carry a Model 85, in a .38, which are really common. They are reasonably priced, I got mine for $329.99, and they shoot pretty well for a little revolver. I have the ultra-lite version, and it carries really well too. I will never discount a Smith as a great revolver, but for less money I have never been disappointed with my Taurus'. As far as holster selection, I use a Galco stow and go, they are inexpensive ($27) and comfortable. I think they make a good combo.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

the charter arms gets my vote the reason it's american made. yes they made crap for a while but have cleaned up their act. ok yes the taurus is stronger and has a life time repair policy but so does the charter. remember this is all just opinion . and i'll admit if i was going to buy a carry gun given those choices and if it was to be carried alot and shot very little the charter would still get the nod , but if you want a all steel frame 5 shot that would hold up to countless days of shooting at the range i'd have to vote taurus out of the choices you gave. by no means would i consider a smith and wesson but that is a personal choice based on my unreasonable hate and dis-trust of a company that doesnt give a crap about anything but the bottom line.

5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Theres a new Ruger light weight compact revolver, the LCR (.38+p). Using new lock work and a big rethink on the materials front. The cylinder looks neat too...

I have not handled one, but given the new thinking and high spec of Ruger products, if I were shopping for a carry revolver, I would give one a close look.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2009
  6. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

I have a S&W model 649 357 w/shielded hammer. This allows conceal carry without the hammer spur getting caught and still gives me hammer control that the "hammerless" units don't. It is a little heavier but you will appreciate the weight if you shoot 357. Of course it also shoots 38 and 38+P. Good luck on your decision.

Old Guy

7. techoca

techoca New Member

Without a doubt the Smith&Wesson J frame.

8. Go with the Smith, John. You'll spend a bit more money, but end up with a much better weapon. Personally, I like the Smith 637. Avoid the Charter at all costs!!! Taurus builds a good revolver, as does Rossi, which is made by Taurus now.

9. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

I don't know the laws in Kentucky, but if I were you John, I would give some thought to qualifying with a semi-auto. You can carry what ever you like after you get qualified. Somewhere down the road you might decide that you want a semi-auto for what ever reason. Might not affect you in Ken., but here in TX, if you qualify with a revolver, then that is all you can carry, unless you redo the whole course! I voted Charter Arms, because they are made in America, and I also own some of them. I started out with hand guns many moons ago, and that was with a .44 Mag for hunting. I have become very attached to the .44 caliber hand gun, and can shoot anything in that caliber in my lever gun as well. I think your choice of sticking with the .357 is a good one, and this rd. is good in pistol or rifle. I have several hand guns in 2", and I really wish that I had bought each of these guns in at least a 4" barrel. The 4"ers are a little more difficult to hide as a CCW, but I personally think that this is not a big deal, as I usually carry a 1911A. The added 2" of barrel gives you a better sight picture, and makes shots out to 30 feet a little easier. Just my opinion!

10. pawn

pawn Active Member

another vote for smith and wesson. pleased with my 638 bodyguard w/shrouded hammer.

11. ARB

ARB New Member

Ruger makes a five shot .38 SP101. Never carried it but have handled them a bit, not bad. I would wait and see about the Ruger LCR. It looks real nice but after going through the recall with the LCP I'd let them work out the kinks first.
    My next carry revolver will be a Taurus. I had a Tracker and that thing was great. I would suggest the ribber grips.
    Happy hunting..err..shopping.:)

12. doug66

doug66 Member

John,

I bought a 3 1/16" SP101 after I got my carry permit. Now wish I would have picked the 2 1/4" bobbed hammer version. I am trying to rat hole enough cash to get one. I love Ruger revolvers. S&W would be my only other choice.

13. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

14. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

15. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

hey everyone, thanks for the replies, i still havent made my mind up for sure. i would rather have the smith, but because of our africanized government and poor political situation used smiths are non existant at present, and new ones are getting to be slim pickin's.

carver, thanks for your advise on the semi auto thing, but that isnt an issue in kentucky, you can cary anything you want after you qualify. you can go through the course with a single shot pistol and carry a desert eagle if you took a notion. as long as it is a handgun.

i dont much care for the rugers, and for the price i would get a smith if i could find one.

if i was going to spend the extra money i would opt for a small 1911 or a small glock probably. the reasons being that i have experiance with those, and i am generaly leary of guns i have no experiance. since non of my buddies have any of the newer concealed carry models i dont really have a chance to try any of them out except for a keltec pf9

~john