Summertime CCW

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by olmossbak, Apr 8, 2009.

1. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

I need recommendations on warm weather concealed carry. I tried my H&K USP Compact in a high ride belt holster under a knit shirt worn outside the pants but even with an XL shirt one could see that there was something there. I don't care or IWB holsters as I find them uncomfortable. I also have a tendency to perspire in our local summer weather.

All advice appreciated.:confused:

2. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

If the problem is that your shirt has a tendancy to ride up and show your piece, you might try going to a big and tall store. You should be able to find a shirt in a tall that is a little longer so the weapon stays concealed.

3. JetGirl

JetGirl Member

True. But honestly, most sheeple think "PDA/Cell phone/Electronic something-or-other". The only people who look at an angular protruding object and think "gun" are...well... us.;)

4. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

True. Very true. I see someone walking around with a cell phone/PDA/Blackberry/Etc. on their belt, and the first thing that flashes through my mind is the dude is packing open carry:p:D

5. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

have you considered a holster to go in the small of your back? attached to the belt, or maybe a paddle holster:confused:, that goes toward your dominant side and is canted for ease of access. or, depending on your ccw weapon and if you wear pants regularly, what about an ankle holster?? it may take a little longer to get to but with some practice you could get used to it....

6. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

Thanks for the feedback. It was the bulge that had me concerned and you are right about only we gun nuts thinking it to be something other than a phone or PDA.

Adding to my problem is a substantial girth that gives me what my daughter calls "muffin top". It is the spare tire that causes the holster to protrude rather that ride snugley against the area that should be a waist.:eek:

My PPK/s in a high ride belt holster worked well on a recent trip to NOLA and a 380 is better than a 0 but by owning more substantial calibres one feels the need to use them - maybe. I remind myself that it served James Bond well in the movies even though in "Dr. No" his was only a 32.

Thanks again,

7. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Lightweight. That is what I was looking for.
    Cloths that were REAL lightweight.
    Oversized T-shirts were not too hard to find, but a button up shirt, with the right tail so that it can be left un-tucked and unbuttoned, was a bit harder to find. After going through a number of stores, and almost giving up, I finally found the shirts I wanted at, of all places, the Army Surplus store.

The T-shirt mostly covers it up, and the regular shirt hides any leftover bulge. And as has been said, the only one questioning the bulge is.....us. LOL
    Both shirts being REAL lightweight, are about as thick as ONE regular T-shirt, which helps me, since I sweat rather easily in the heat of summer.

This combination allows me to carry a full size handgun, on the belt.

8. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

With summer carry, I really don't care what anyone says, the alternatives are limited to the pocket pistol. The Ruger LCP, the Kel-Tec P3AT and the Kahr PM-9 and 40 series are the only ones I'd consider in the mainstream mix. You're discovering what many well-meaning concealed carry permit holders have seen. It's just not practical to carry a large or medium frame pistol all the time. Still, people persist otherwise. I don't get it.... :eek:

9. JetGirl

JetGirl Member

Because it's your opinion. Not fact.;)

10. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

i agree. i carry full size, it buldges, so what.

11. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I agree that 99% of the people you meet while out and about are not going to notice an occasional print or even partial exposure of the weapon. Their minds just are not tuned to identifying these markers. I will be carrying a Colt Commander OWB this summer.

12. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

If you'll show me someone who carries an IWB holster with a full-size pistol as often as someone who just drops a pocket gun into their pocket as they walk out the door then I'll cede your point. I don't think you'll find that to be the case for any male concealed carry permit holder. A female has the ability to drop a .500 S&W in their purse if she so chooses but this is simply not so with males, and especially not males who actually tuck in their shirts.

I've told a lot of new concealed carry holders NOT to buy large guns for primary carry. They shrug off my opinion and buy one anyway. I even let one guy try out my PT145 around my house to prove the point. He bought one anyway. If they really want to carry all the time, they go back and buy a pocket pistol because it's just too burdensome to always carry the large or even medium-sized pistol. In SC, some establishments restrict carry, much like other states. It's much easier and inconspicuous removing a pocket pistol to place in a storage area than to do the same with another holstered gun.

And then again, it's like they've always said... A .22 in the pocket is better than a .44 Magnum in the truck.

If one wants to actually carry a firearm most of the time, a medium-framed or larger pistol is not a way to get there, and particularly not in a warm climate. As a secondary firearm, the medium-frame is fine. You can choose when to wear it as it's suitable. For one-size fits all, you'll find it sorely lacking. The analogy could be drawn to purchasing a set of garden shears for clipping coupons from the paper. Could it be used for that task? Sure... Will it be the most accessible or practical tool for the job? No...

The same could be said for mobile phones. When mobile phones were carried in lunch box sized cases you didn't often see someone lug a phone out of their car for a trip into the store. Now, the phone fits into a fraction of one's pocket space and everyone carries one along wherever they go.

It's all about convenience. :)

Opinion or not, it's the truth... ;)

I get what you're saying in that everyone has an opinion but it's also true that we learn through our mistakes. Someone wanting to carry often learns on their own, quickly, that caliber can be sacrificed if size prevents carry in most situations. There are too many discretely-sized pistols on the market today to pass them up for lightly clothed carry in a warm climate. :)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  13. JetGirl

JetGirl Member

Please point me to the section of this conversation that specifically mentions IWB & full-sized pistols. As I recall it, the original poster stated he did not care for IWB, and that was the reference point I spoke from.
    Again, from that standpoint I reiterate; "carry guns are NOT limited to compacts". Stating that they are is still just your opinion.

14. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Yes, he did say he was against IWB. My argument was much broader in nature.

Statistically, I don't think you'll find any larger pistol that anyone with any carry method considered, will carry as often as a compact auto. The analogy holds true for how the cell phone, or watch, or GPS has shrunk and became more convenient to carry. Convenience is key. For primary carry, a medium-frame auto or revolver will not always work. I can think of no situation where you might not be able to conceal a micro-sized auto pistol such as the ones mentioned previously.

I'm not trying to get on anyone's bad side. We may be saying the same thing, only in different ways. If you have both tiny autos and large or medium autos, then there will always be a place and time for each of them but the medium and larger pistols will never be carried all the time. If one has to choose only one gun for carry, then the tiny one should be it. :)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  15. JetGirl

JetGirl Member

I disagree.
    The one with the biggest available stopping power that you are most proficient with and are most confident and comfortable with in its reliability of function and accuracy, is the one it should be.

The smaller the frame, the bigger the recoil.
    If a person dislikes that in their "tiny" gun, they won't regularly practice with it. If they don't practice with it, they'll feel less confident and comfortable with it. Proficiency drops off without practice.
    At that point, it can become more of a liability than a life-saver.
    Train how you fight and you'll fight how you train by default.
    If a bigger frame is what you practice with most often and most comfortably and confidently, carry it.
    And that is my opinion.