The Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I ordered my first Hi-Tek coated lead from Summit City Bullets - 124gr RN. High praise from 76 Highboy Reloading on the tube, so I gave it a go. I have always loaded and shot jacketed or plated, and recently, Frangible. Neve lead, powder coated lead or Hi-Tek coated lead.

First impressions...well, that sucks.

First, I have never had to expand 9mm cases that much. I actually ran out of room with my Lyman expander die, which is a stepped expander. I had to resize all of them again using my Hornady dies after shaving the first three bullets.

Second, they weren't inexpensive, they were just "available". At 13.6c each I could easily order jacket OR plated, and just wait on delivery. In fact, Everglades ammo has 9mm and 380 ACP in stock, so I placed a new order.

Third, after seating to 1.075" (shortest ever for me in a RN bullet, they only plunk in one barrel...my Kimber Micro 9. They pass my Lyman ammo checker, but not my Lyman or my Shooter's Box ammo gauges. I was convinced that my Honor Guard proof barrel wouldn't plunk...it's very tight...but I thought my Hellcat would...alas, no. My Beretta eats anything, so I didn't even try it, but I will before shooting, as well as my G2C.

Fourth, they are quite lumpy...I thought that these bullets were swaged or resized after coating, but if they are, it's not an effective process. Though I'm exaggerating a bit, the texture is more like a Chicken Nugget, smooth, but uneven.

I only loaded 50 rounds over 700-X. I didn't bother with a ladder as these are not loaded to max, and my experience with 700-X is that it tends to run soft, but thermally hot.

Anyone else with coated experience have any feedback?

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Have shot over 5k-HTC..but I did them....before trying,I ordered 100 to try-same thing -very thick....Talked a few times with HTC,great guy,he said follow instructions-SOME suppliers don't...Mine have all shot great,seeing how I'm shooting from rifle,I'm obviously not "belling"the brass.....The handgun rounds I've HTC have'nt required any additional belling from my original die settings and load and shoot fine.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Well, I hate to hear you are not pleased with them. I have shot about 10,000 of them with very good results. No issues with them in any of my 9mm guns.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
I cant comment on the quality, I have bought several thousand, just havent loaded them yet. One of the reasons that I bought them is I know the owners of a local ammo manufacturing operation and they use a thousands and thousands of Summits bullets, especially 9mm and I have never heard a complaint. I will runs some small batches when I get into them just to test them in my pistols.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I hate to hear you are not pleased with them. I have shot about 10,000 of them with very good results. No issues with them in any of my 9mm guns.
Since I haven’t shot any yet I can’t say I’m not pleased...but loading sure was a challenge.
Since you’ve shot about 10,000 of them, what loading tips can you offer? Where do you seat them, and how much crimp? So far I’ve just straightened out the flare...I may just need to deconstruct a loaded round and see what impact on the bullet...if any. I know that seating them, even when my case resembles a blunderbuss leaves a ring where the seating stem contacted the bullet.

Subsequent to my initial post I discovered I was shorted 1000 bullets. I’m sure they’ll take care of it, and glad I broke down and counted them.

·
Registered
918 Posts
How much bell are we talking about, blunderbuss is pretty broad :)
This is the bell I am using for coated bullets, a tad more than I would need but the bullet feeder needs it

The ring left by the seater is pretty normal when seating soft bullets (lead, coated or thin plated ones) and will not affect accuracy.

I mostly just remove the flare and put a very slight crimp in, when I disassemble a competed round you can just barely see a the rim of the case in the bullet.

You could just weigh them instead of counting btw. :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could just weigh them instead of counting btw.
Well, that’s how I count them. I count 100, put it on my kitchen scale. These came to 28.50 oz., which becomes my reference. Filled the bowl to 28.47 oz, counted that, came to 100. So I repeated until the jar was empty. The last weigh was 14.25 oz. showing that I’d already loaded 50 rounds.

Yes...my expansion is as dramatic as yours. Often, with jacketed, I don’t really see the flare...with these it is readily apparent. I likely exaggerated on my Blunderbuss comment. Ji ji ji. Without measuring I couldn’t be certain, but I believe that your expansion is greater than what I settled on, so I’ll have to back off on my hyperbole! But these bullets measure .3565” on 90% of them,.3560” on maybe 8%, and .357” on 2%, so, a bit oversized from any plated or jacketed bullets I’ve loaded.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the bell I am using for coated bullets, a tad more than I would need but the bullet feeder needs it
. View attachment 241484
Your bullet looks pretty much like what I'd expected for coated bullets. As I said...mine are textured, and not in a good way.
Check this out. The "sparkles" can be felt. The coat is slick, but lumpy. The nubs get shaved when seating.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wanted to tag you to get your thoughts on this. Do these look okay to you? This is the texture that's causing me grief with seating...and trying to get enough expansion to fit in the first palce.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have to say they don't look great, even my home-made powder coated bullets are smooth. If I Look up other coated bullets (e.g. blue bullets), they also look a lot better than yours.
I think the sizing you measured is even more odd, I measured a few of my coated 9mms and they all measure .356. Yours very a lot.

I cannot say if they are good or not, I have no experience with them and I have no idea how they are supposed to look.

·
Super Moderator
40,000 Posts
I think that I would send that mess back to the seller, those are not acceptable!

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Sorry-those look horrible...the ones I bought were smooth but looked like they were painted.....The HTC bullets I do are smooth and don't look painted....once again-follow directions.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry-those look horrible...the ones I bought were smooth but looked like they were painted.....The HTC bullets I do are smooth and don't look painted....once again-follow directions.
I'm sorry...that's the 2nd time you've urged me to follow directions. Exactly what directions are you referring to in this regard? I received a shipment of coated bullets...I did not get a shipment of lead and a batch of coating...these were "ready to load". Challenges loading them is the reason I started this thread...part rant, part plea for guidance. I wouldn't have ever bothered trying HTC bullets from Summit or any other provider if they required sizing, baking, tumbling, polishing, or anything but powdering their bottoms and seating them gently, with just a goodnight kiss of the tape crimp die.

That said...my plated and jacketed providers appear to be catching up and I was able to order some last night...so this may show up on a reloading components for sale site very soon. Not at all worth the effort to me.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
image000000(20).jpg I was commenting that Summit may not have followed directions.......The bullet on left is mine-cast247gr/my HTC job.......bullet on right I bought and as you can see it looks painted...I've fired 3k through 2 AR uppers and they are as clean as when I started-just powder residue.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Since I haven’t shot any yet I can’t say I’m not pleased...but loading sure was a challenge.
Since you’ve shot about 10,000 of them, what loading tips can you offer? Where do you seat them, and how much crimp? So far I’ve just straightened out the flare...I may just need to deconstruct a loaded round and see what impact on the bullet...if any. I know that seating them, even when my case resembles a blunderbuss leaves a ring where the seating stem contacted the bullet.

Subsequent to my initial post I discovered I was shorted 1000 bullets. I’m sure they’ll take care of it, and glad I broke down and counted them.

I expand mine just enough to get the bullet to start about 1/16th of an inch into the case. I very lightly crimp, just enough to remove the bell in the mouth of the case.
As far as seating goes, I seat to 1.125 if I want to shoot them in all of my 9mm pistols. For my competition pistol, I seat to 1.140.

·
Super Moderator
26,856 Posts
Wanted to tag you to get your thoughts on this. Do these look okay to you? This is the texture that's causing me grief with seating...and trying to get enough expansion to fit in the first palce.
View attachment 241587
Are these bullets you did, or purchased?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The proprietor of Summit City bullets is quite angry that I posted on a forum about his product. The good thing about that is that he's passionate about his product. The bad thing about that is his passion is leading in a quite inappropriate direction. My intent was to get advice and counsel on my reloading challenges, not to stir up ire and animosity in a 2A product provider.

If the moderator will close out this thread to stop any further messaging, I'd appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
26,856 Posts
Done.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.