The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about a month ago I had a gentleman bring in his beloved Super Blackhawk old model that was very damaged in a house fire. His 1100 that he brought too was a total loss. Most was water and smoke damaged. It never got hot enough to change the temper of the steel but it was pitted and eroded throughout. Well after a week of constant work, its back to its close to original glory.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Start with a good pistol.......:)
Looks good now, I bet the owner was ecstatic.

·
Premium Member
10,340 Posts
I have a super blackhawk, and it does not have the cylinder flutes.
I bought it back in the mid-60's -

GREAT restoration!
Man, I would CRY if mine went through that damage!

·
Premium Member
10,340 Posts
Never mind -
I just noticed this was the .357 and not the .44

·
Premium Member
13,000 Posts
Nice job!

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Top notch work Eric. Beautiful job!

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
If I remember correctly, it only has to heat up to about 400* to lose temper. Unless he is very sure, I would use caution. It wouldnt take long or necessarily have to have been very close to the flame to get to that temp.

Very nice work though.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I'll bet he was one happy guy. I just looked at one but it was 357 and i dont have a use for one. good job cleaning it up.

·
Premium Member
21,037 Posts
I have a super blackhawk, and it does not have the cylinder flutes.
I bought it back in the mid-60's -

GREAT restoration!
Man, I would CRY if mine went through that damage!
I have a 44 mag Super Blackhawk and it has the cylinder flutes. Most of them don't.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I remember correctly, it only has to heat up to about 400* to lose temper. Unless he is very sure, I would use caution. It wouldnt take long or necessarily have to have been very close to the flame to get to that temp.

Very nice work though.
If it got above 300 the grips would char. The grips are original. Its mostly water and soot damage.

·
Premium Member
3,870 Posts
All I can say is you did a Outstanding Job!!

·
Premium Member
34,376 Posts
I have a 44 mag Super Blackhawk and it has the cylinder flutes. Most of them don't.
The short barreled revolvers of 5 1/2" have the fluted cylinders. They also have the smaller XR3-red grip frames with the round trigger guards. These smaller SBHs are seen more as "general packin' guns" and critter defense guns over the longer-barrel "hunting types".

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
great job.........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts