The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
*VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*
26,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Though I have no interest in sporting activities, the event of the
SUPER BOWL 2015 coming to Glendale Arizona, is noteworthy for me...The stadium is only about 4 miles from my home...crowds, traffic, crime...but, hey, don't want to be like that...Chief

Preparations for 2015 Super Bowl in Glendale already underway
Posted: Feb 03, 2013 7:56 PM PST

By Jill Monier, FOX 10 News - bio

PHOENIX -
In just 24 months, the Super Bowl will be back in Glendale and fans watching Sunday's game couldn't be more excited.

2015 seems like a long ways away, but the CEO of the Arizona Super Bowl Host Committee was in New Orleans, doing her homework.

She says she wants to use the event to accelerate economic growth and development for the state.

Football fans cheered as they watched the Super Bowl on TV at Majerle's in downtown Phoenix. They know they could be watching in person when the Super Bowl comes back to the Phoenix area in two years.

"I am always excited about a Super Bowl, especially when it comes to your city...brings money, helps all the local businesses out," said Kevin Bryant.

"Yeah, if our lights can stay on that would be pretty sweet, that would definitely put us above New Orleans," said Mike Dugdale, from Baltimore, Md.

Lonnie Miller went to the 1996 Super Bowl in Tempe.

"Yeah, it's going to be fun when it's here. It's a good city for it 'cause the weather's always good," said Miller.

Just like in 2008, the 2015 game will be played at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale.

Even though it's 24 months away, planning is underway.

Jay Parry, CEO of the Arizona Super Bowl Host Committee is in New Orleans, taking notes.

"What's different this time is Phoenix and downtown Phoenix has a lot more infrastructure that we're going to be doing even more in downtown Phoenix with extra hotel rooms, lots of light rail, a bigger convention center. So, we're going to take advantage of all the enhancements and I think that's one of the reasons we got the game back so quickly, six years later in 2015," said Parry.

Parry says she wants Arizona to be a cool place to live and do business.

"We've proven ourselves and we do want to be on the regular circuit for all these big events because what's exciting about it is this something our residents and businesses can participate and take advantage of," said Parry.

Bryant plans to be at the 2015 game.

"My limit's $2,000. I'll be at the Super Bowl in Glendale," said Bryant.

The exact date of the 2015 Super Bowl has not been announced although typically it's the first Sunday in February.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
They just recently got all the bribery cases cleared up from the last time it was held there didn't they Chief?

·
26,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure, Berto... Sure that Arizona has some of the most crooked people around, be it for sports, real estate, politics or whatever...Maybe they get run out of other states and come here for the climate!!!Chief

·
Armed Infidel
1,470 Posts
Can I rent a bedroom from ya?? LOL. I am retiring in Jan 2015 and planning on loading camper and heading to speed weeks in Daytona for early part of Feb through the 500. I had thought of heading to Texas in Jan and working my way around Gulf Coast and back to Fla. After Daytona head to Disney for two weeks and then work way back up east coast and arrive home in PA sometime after the cold weather leaves.

·
26,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GLENDALE, Ariz. -
It's not a done deal, but it appears right now that the Arizona Cardinals are getting very close to leaving Flagstaff and moving their summer training camp down to the valley.

That's the word coming late Tuesday afternoon from the city of Glendale.

That official, Dave Mcalindin, is assistant director of economic development for the city. He says they have an agreement in principal with the Arizona Cardinals.

That would be a huge disappointment to Flagstaff Mayor Jerry Nabours. He has been fighting hard to make a deal that would keep the Cardinals summer training camp in Flagstaff.

"Weather, altitude, attitude and facility, you know NAU has finest facilities in the state, both indoors and outdoors," says Nabours via Skype.

The team has practiced in Flagstaff since 1988. Cards Camp is held in July and August...

"Hey have you ever been to Glendale in the summer? Have you ever been to Flagstaff in the summer? So we think the better choice is Flagstaff and we hope they come here."

When the team signaled 3 months ago it was willing to relocate -- Glendale wanted in the game.

"I am very optimistic extremely optimistic that we're going to make this happen."

Glendale Mayor Jerry Weiers says Glendale is working a 15-year deal with the Cardinals that would save the team money, keep the players closer to home in the valley, and help build the team's fan base.

"Obviously it's a great thing for the Cardinals. they won't have to spend nearly as much money. Their players won't be sleeping in bunks like they are in Flagstaff," says Weiers.

Preliminarily, the Cardinals players would stay in the Renaissance Hotel and when it comes to practice they would split their time between the University Of Phoenix Stadium and a bubble they would construct on these youth football fields right next to the stadium.

At a city council workshop in Glendale this afternoon, Glendale officials presented details of a potential deal with the team.

"There are several pieces and part of this, we've come to agreement on some of it, we're still working on other parts. Clearly the council has to approve all of it before it becomes a done deal. The Cardinals have to announce that they're coming to Glendale, but I feel good about it."

Late Tuesday afternoon we heard from someone with the Cardinals who says this deal is not done, however -- they are closer to a deal with Glendale than they are to a deal with Flagstaff. We will keep you posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts