The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever seen one? Is it possible? Are there suppressors made for it or does the muzzle need to be turned down? I've searched for two days and have found hearsay evidence of it, but have yet to have seen any made to mount to a heavy or bull barrel!

·
Super Moderator
41,332 Posts
The barrel will have to be turned down and threaded for whatever the thread pattern is on the suppressor. I have a .22 suppressor and two of the guns that I use it on have bull barrels, they both have been turned to fit the suppressor.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The barrel will have to be turned down and threaded for whatever the thread pattern is on the suppressor. I have a .22 suppressor and two of the guns that I use it on have bull barrels, they both have been turned to fit the suppressor.
Thank you George! Now the stupid questions, does turning down the muzzle affect the crown?

·
Super Moderator
41,332 Posts
Here are shots of the two I have. Not very good ones as they both have thread protectors on them. First one is my 10/22 with .17Mach2 barrel (on left) and second one is 5.7X28

IMG_1934.JPG IMG_1935.JPG

I was doing these pictures and resizing them and did not see your second question until right now. I will try to get a good close up of one of the crowns to show that the turning down of the barrel in no way affects the crown. Give me a few minutes.

·
Super Moderator
41,332 Posts
Alright, here are a couple more pictures of the 17Mach2, one with the thread protector and one without. In both pictures you can kinda see that 11 degree slope of the barrel down to the hole. It can probably be seen better in the one without the protector. You can see where the gunsmith cut the barrel down but only enough to where the suppressor can be threaded onto it.
IMG_1937.JPG IMG_1938.JPG

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next stupid question...

How much does a suppressor change POI? (Hey an excuse for you to go to the range! You're welcome!)

·
Super Moderator
41,332 Posts
To be honest, I have not really noticed a difference. I have the rifle, it stays on most of the time, zeroed with the silencer on it. When we shoot it at the BBQ in a couple of weeks, I will have someone shoot it to see if they can tell a difference.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Look forward to hearing that... I'm seriously thinking if my wife does get that 6.5 CM then it needs a supressor and some fun to be had!

·
Super Moderator
41,332 Posts
You do know that to realize the full potential of a suppressor, you would have to shoot subsonic loads. If I shoot standard velocity or high velocity ammo through mine, it is NOT quiet. It may sound a little quieter at the muzzle but 10-20 feet from the muzzle when the bullet hits supersonic speed, you are going to get that CRACK sound. My suppressor is pretty worthless when I put it on the .17 or the 5.7, but then I did not pay $500-600 for the thing.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I intend to buy one of those multicaliber ones and use that on a few others. Most likely I'll be playing with 300 BO before long if I've got a supressor.

Reactions: JRK57
1 - 11 of 11 Posts