The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a guy offering me this 1100 for trade on a chainsaw I have listed for sale. The receiver however has a rusty/light pitted looking surface. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but I think it can be saved with some steel wool and elbow grease.

Thoughts? I really don't want to have to refinish the whole gun. The barrel doesn't look bad from what I can see in the pictures.

Also, is the gold inlay original or did somebody paint that on themselves? I know they had a commemorative version, but the engraving looked a bit different I thought.

Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper Wood

Wood Trigger Material property Air gun Shotgun

· Premium Member
21,847 Posts
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but I think it can be saved with some steel wool and elbow grease.
I'd stay away from the steel wool. It might take some of your bluing off. Like Hawg posted above use a copper scrub pad and some oil or Hoppes solvent.

· Registered
9,538 Posts
If it were me - I'd be jumping all over that trade. The 1100s are just about the best shotguns ever made. I had one years ago I got from "Bimbo" when we were married. When she left she took everything and I ended up selling off my gun collection to pay off the huge mountain of debts she left behind. I still miss the 1100 (but glad to be rid of her - but the 7th Fleet misses her.)

· Premium Member
20,199 Posts
I'd stay away from the steel wool. It might take some of your bluing off. Like Hawg posted above use a copper scrub pad and some oil or Hoppes solvent.
As I remember an old post there is a difference between the Remington Magnum and a regular 1100. If I remember you have the magnum Joe? What is the difference?

· Premium Member
21,847 Posts
As I remember an old post there is a difference between the Remington Magnum and a regular 1100. If I remember you have the magnum Joe? What is the difference?
Good memory Val. see your not getting too old. Yep i have the Magnum like the OP is getting. And like Hawg posted the difference is in the heavier action sleeve and one gas port. The magnum can use barrels with 2 gas ports with no difference in function.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The more I look at this gun, the more I think the stock has been refinished. I noticed some brown on the receiver around where the stock bolts on, and I also noticed the stock has some ripples around the recoil pad. I would bet the stock got wet and it was refinished after. The steel did clean up quite a bit, but it is a bit dull. I need to get some wax and see if I can make the bluing shine. I guess I will be in the market for a new stock or I will be refinishing this one to match the forearm. My OCD will not allow me to ignore the mismatched wood.

· Registered
731 Posts
Surface rust cleans off guns quite well with Turtle Wax Chrome Polish & Rust Remover ... it is a very fine abrasive / polishing compound , follow directions and when the polishing pad no longer turns brown ... the surface rust has been removed and it doesn't remove gun bluing when used by hand ...
Use a clean cloth pad and your hands ... the rust will come off brown .
I saved a Model 58 S&W from rebluing with this method ... it's amazing .
It doesn't remove pits ... but freckling and light surface rust ... it works like an old voodoo woman's black magic spell !

A coat of any brand automotive pure Carnauba paste wax will give the metal a nice shine and protect the finish ... use it on wood too .
Gary

· Premium Member
21,847 Posts
The more I look at this gun, the more I think the stock has been refinished. I noticed some brown on the receiver around where the stock bolts on, and I also noticed the stock has some ripples around the recoil pad. I would bet the stock got wet and it was refinished after. The steel did clean up quite a bit, but it is a bit dull. I need to get some wax and see if I can make the bluing shine. I guess I will be in the market for a new stock or I will be refinishing this one to match the forearm. My OCD will not allow me to ignore the mismatched wood.
Yeah it does appear that the stock has been refinished, but not the forearm. That looks original. On mine i changed out the 30" barrel and bought a 28" rem choke one.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts