The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Old folks around here used to put in a pin and feed them cornmeal and butter milk for a week or more before cooking.

I've had a few different wild game types before but never a opossum. A live trap and some rotten meat/fish in it and you can catch all you want.

Wild game is fairly plentiful right now but let the other foods run out and it will be gone in a matter of months.

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
Good to know since @tedwitt isn’t sharing his recipe. 😬
I can see Lawton turning into a Mad Max movie but out here we’ll do fine. In my little…..guess you call it a subdivision, we’ve got Army Colonels, Fire Chiefs, Police Chiefs, Doctors and ER Nurses. I understand no one is invincible but we’d giv’m hell for sure.

·
Registered
426 Posts
From the 1920's depression days of East Texas I have some recipes passed down from mother and grandmother for squirrel , rabbit , raccoon and armadillo ... Mom said if her Dad hadn't killed all those armadillo's and other small game to feed their family of 8 ...they would have starved slap to death .
Grandpa even made curved knives for getting up under the shells when cleaning .
We called em Possom on the Half-Shell !
My Mom got good at cooking nutria's and the Wildlife and Fisheries has a bounty ...they give you $6.00 for every nutria tail and you get to keep the meat and pelt ... they make for some good eating ! My brother and I regularly hunt them in South Louisiana .
Gary

·
13,495 Posts
Good to know since @tedwitt isn’t sharing his recipe. 😬
I can see Lawton turning into a Mad Max movie but out here we’ll do fine. In my little…..guess you call it a subdivision, we’ve got Army Colonels, Fire Chiefs, Police Chiefs, Doctors and ER Nurses. I understand no one is invincible but we’d giv’m hell for sure.
Hey, Ted Witt don't eat no possum.
Now a diller better hid around here. Batter diller and fry it like squirrel or rabbit.

·
13,495 Posts
From the 1920's depression days of East Texas I have some recipes passed down from mother and grandmother for squirrel , rabbit , raccoon and armadillo ... Mom said if her Dad hadn't killed all those armadillo's and other small game to feed their family of 8 ...they would have starved slap to death .
Grandpa even made curved knives for getting up under the shells when cleaning .
We called em Possom on the Half-Shell !
My Mom got good at cooking nutria's and the Wildlife and Fisheries has a bounty ...they give you $6.00 for every nutria tail and you get to keep the meat and pelt ... they make for some good eating ! My brother and I regularly hunt them in South Louisiana .
Gary
I never ate a nutria, but I have a flexible knife for shelling a diller.

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
Hey, Ted Witt don't eat no possum.
Now a diller better hid around here. Batter diller and fry it like squirrel or rabbit.
Ya know Ted, ya almost got me willing to give one a try. If one ever makes itself a nuisance around the house I may just fry him up.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Around the mill & mine towns during the depression, small game was wiped out. People would dig groundhogs out of their holes. Set traps for birds, didn’t matter what kind. The woods were also wiped out for heating fuel. My great uncles were poachers. They dynamited fish, ran gill nets and shot every thing that walked or crawled. They had a fence in several towns. The sausage coming out of these stores was questionable species of origin. They were all missing chunks out of their hands and fingers from feeling under rocks for fish and turtles. No parks in the area had ducks and geese swimming around, unless it was in gravy.

·
13,495 Posts
Ya know Ted, ya almost got me willing to give one a try. If one ever makes itself a nuisance around the house I may just fry him up.
Remember, when Herbert Hoover was Pres, the were nicknamed Hoover Hogs.
I wish I had a dollar for everyone I skinned and ate.
My Mother would leave the head and tail on, somehow she cleaned out the head and tail, put the end of the tail in it's mouth and put a pin through it.
She quilted the inside and Dad made a flat wood base for it to set on. She would varnish them. She sold them in the '60s for like $50.00. And we got the meat.

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
Guess it depends on if you’re talking end of days, complete economic collapse, zombie apocalypse or really hard times. Either way I’m prepared for both. 😉

Reactions: joe45c and tedwitt

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We have squirrel, rabbit and groundhog all the time. My wife won’t cook possum or **** so only have it when at friends houses. The old ladies that could do up a possum are getting thin. Try to get a real mince meat pie. The pop tart generation ain’t going to roast no possum. Unless some chain starts slathering them with sweet sauce and making them fashionable. I don’t think I would do diller unless I was starving to death.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Remember, when Herbert Hoover was Pres, the were nicknamed Hoover Hogs.
I wish I had a dollar for everyone I skinned and ate.
My Mother would leave the head and tail on, somehow she cleaned out the head and tail, put the end of the tail in it's mouth and put a pin through it.
She quilted the inside and Dad made a flat wood base for it to set on. She would varnish them. She sold them in the '60s for like $50.00. And we got the meat.
I’m 72 and can’t recall when Hoover was in office. I must have been busy chewing on the chickens in every pot.:eek::D:eek::D

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Mouse Shepherd's Pie. Make as normal Shepard Pie. Eliminate the ground beef. Substitute mice. Leave the tail on, they are good for picking your teeth with, after the meal. 👍

Culinary note - This dish is easier to prepare if the mice are no longer alive. (Also very good as a substitution in Chicken and Dumplings.) 😉

Bon Appetite'. 😋

*Oh yeah, Don't forget to use a propane torch to burn all the hair (fur?) off prior to preparation. Who likes hairy (furry?) mice?
Yuck.....................

·
Registered
426 Posts
If we going to have another big depression ... I'll get out my "Depression Era " recipes ...
I'm lucky ... us Louisiana Cajuns hunt and fish on a regular basis and will eat just about anything ...
There are two things I don't care for ... Skunk and Brussel Sprouts .
It's not that skunk doesn't taste good ... it's the bagging and skinning that I don't enjoy , they don't like it and spray that aweful smelling defense mecanism ! Brussel Sprouts just taste wonky .
Gary

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Mouse Shepherd's Pie. Make as normal Shepard Pie. Eliminate the ground beef. Substitute mice. Leave the tail on, they are good for picking your teeth with, after the meal. 👍

Culinary note - This dish is easier to prepare if the mice are no longer alive. (Also very good as a substitution in Chicken and Dumplings.) 😉

Bon Appetite'. 😋

*Oh yeah, Don't forget to use a propane torch to burn all the hair (fur?) off prior to preparation. Who likes hairy (furry?) mice?
Yuck.....................
I'm kind of like a dog or chicken - dont want to eat anything a rat ran through.

My old cook books have lamb or goat as the meat for shepards pie. Guess thats how it got its name. Think it was around before ground beef or hamburger came on the sceen. To be honest though I have only had it with hamburger in it.

From Old Cook Book
Font Publication Handwriting Paper Writing

more opossum
Handwriting Font Writing Paper Paper product

Didn't see one for 'dillo but it has moose, reindeer, venison, calf brains, hearts, liver, kidney, tongue, tripe, and a few other things in it.

Guess opossum was fairly common years ago - probably cause all you have to do is run up on em fast, scare em a little bit, then pick em up by the tail when he pretends to be asleep.

Reactions: Firpo and tedwitt

·
Premium Member
22,111 Posts
I'm kind of like a dog or chicken - dont want to eat anything a rat ran through.

My old cook books have lamb or goat as the meat for shepards pie. Guess thats how it got its name. Think it was around before ground beef or hamburger came on the sceen. To be honest though I have only had it with hamburger in it.

From Old Cook Book
View attachment 274954

more opossum
View attachment 274955

Didn't see one for 'dillo but it has moose, reindeer, venison, calf brains, hearts, liver, kidney, tongue, tripe, and a few other things in it.

Guess opossum was fairly common years ago - probably cause all you have to do is run up on em fast, scare em a little bit, then pick em up by the tail when he pretends to be asleep.
Your recipe calls for stuffing the opossum with opossum stuffing. I wonder where you buy Opossum stuffing at?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts