SVT-40 Pawnshop find!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

ThePitbullofLove
    (9/18/02 12:49:56 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All SVT-40 Pawnshop find!!!!!!!!!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, here it is. The $260 SVT-40. I'm impressed with it's condition. Metal is just about perfect. Stock has one ding, and it came with a genuine M-1 carbine strap! Bore is lightly frosted, but in much better shape than when I first looked at her. I took a leap of faith because the bore was severely gunked in the shop!
    Hey, is there an online manual? I'm interested in learning to field strip this big Russian babe...

So, for the visually stimulated...here she is:

And here's a link to more pix-
    public.fotki.com/ThePitbullofLove/gats-things_that/svt-40/
    life is the crummiest book I ever read, there isn't a hook, just a lot of cheap shots, pictures to shock and characters an amateur would never dream up-Guerwitz-1994

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/18/02 5:36:38 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: SVT-40 Pawnshop find!!!!!!!!!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have to get up to your area and visit the pawn shops - those folks don't know what they have!

I walked into a pawn shop once here in the midwest back about 10 years ago when all those Egyptian FN49 rifles had hit the market and were going for $150 to $200. This pawn shop had an FN49 up on the rack, at first I figured it was an 8mm Egyptian, but something about the stock caught my eye - it just didn't look the same. So I asked to see it - it turned out to be a Columbian contract in 30-06 - and they had a price tag on it of $150! So, this guy had just priced it by what the going price on the Egyptians was. I gladly plunked my money on the counter and got the heck out of there with it.

I just wonder what the pawn shop stiffed the poor guy for that brought it in.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

ThePitbullofLove
    (9/18/02 6:10:17 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: SVT-40 Pawnshop find!!!!!!!!!!
    Oddly enough, this same shop had a Russian M-44 for $229 and an M-91 for $250! I guess the owner charged the same price for all WW2 Russian guns!
    A buddy tipped me that this gun was in this pawnshop in the boonies.
    Worth the trip. Of note, on the way I found another pawnshop with a huge C&R collection, reasonably priced & some nice examples...I'll be hitting it again later this week!
    life is the crummiest book I ever read, there isn't a hook, just a lot of cheap shots, pictures to shock and characters an amateur would never dream up-Guerwitz-1994

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/18/02 5:47:58 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Once again...
    Pitbull, Just like Bob said, where do you keep finding them. That's about half the price they normally sell for. Did it have an import mark on it? Won't really matter that much for the price you payed,just curious. When you shoot it let us know how it does.

ThePitbullofLove
    (9/18/02 7:54:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Once again...
    This one was a pawnshop in the boonies...waaaaaay out there. I owe a tip of my hat to a shooting buddy that tipped me off that it was there. It was marked at $300, and I would have bought it for that, but heck, it's a pawnshop...they gotta deal, right?

It has a teeny tiny CDI import mark along the right receiver at the woodline. The smallest import mark I've ever seen. I almost missed it.
    I'm really impressed with this gun's condition. The metal is 100% except for some wear on the buttplate, the wood has a single small ding, and the bore cleaned up to be pretty shiny.
    It was majorly gunked up when I brought it home.
    I think I'm gonna like this one.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/19/02 12:09:38 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Once again...
    I have a small army of recruits poring over pawn shops in a five-county area.

Some days chicken, some days feathers...

Stone-mint Win M12 12ga field (late gun) for $350, OK deal, sold for $500.

Win M12 solid-rib WS-1 Skeet Grade 16ga (!!) in 90% condition... $100!! (They thought it was a Mossberg...) Safely stored away in the safe, almost as rare as the 28ga.

Gotta love it.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson