SW model 6906 handgrip

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by pinkerpv, May 6, 2009.

1. pinkerpv

pinkerpv Member

I just purchased a sheriff's office trade in 6906 and would like to change out the grip as it is really banged up. The gun itself is in good shape and will make a good carry weapon. Where can I get an exploded diagram of the 6906 and a new grip. Also a little help on removing the grip would be welcome. I have also posted this on the S&W main forum.

2. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

This link has a scanned copy of a S&W pistol owner's manual that includes an exploded diagram and parts list.

http://stevespages.com/pdf/s&w_centerfire_pistol.pdf

To remove the grip, use a punch to drive out the grip pin at the lower rear of the grip. The grip helps hold in the mainspring and mainspring plunger, so there will be spring tension there. Once the pin is out, slide the grip down and to the rear of the frame. There are lips inside the grip that help hold it in place when the grip is installed on the frame, so you will have to slightly spread the front of the grip open to completely remove it from the frame. You will reverse this process with new grips, making sure the mainspring and mainspring plunger go in the proper hole in the back of the grip.

3. pinkerpv

pinkerpv Member

Thanks pkcgbifaid, Grip came right off. I'm going to try S&W parts to see if they have a grip in stock for reasonable price. Any other place you know where I can get one?

4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

hogue makes a aftermarket grip

5. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

6. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

7. pinkerpv

pinkerpv Member

Got the grip from S&W today. Cost $17+ and went right on. Looks great. My son is coming for a visit with his family next week. He carries a Bersa Thunder 380 for protection but with everyone out of 380 ammo I know he doesn't train/shoot much. Going to try to trade him the 6906. With 9 mm ammo being more plentiful and I have a bunch, maybe he can shoot/train a little more on the range. He loves his 380. he might not trade. May have to give it to him. Or swap a PA 63. Don't know what he'll want to do.

Thanks to everyone for the help.:):)