Swine Whine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by artabr, Apr 29, 2009.

1. artabr

artabr New Member

What is it about DHS and changeing the names of objects and issues?
    Is Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano that much of a control freak.
    No using the term War on Terror, no call terrorist terrorist.
    Now they want to drop the name Swine from Swine flu. :rolleyes:

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N28343516.htm

U.S. officials want 'swine' out of flu name

28 Apr 2009 21:31:42 GMT
    Source: Reuters
    WASHINGTON, April 28 (Reuters) - What's in a name? U.S. pork producers are finding that the name of the virus spreading from Mexico is affecting their business, prompting U.S. officials to argue for changing the name from swine flu.

At a news briefing, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack took pains to repeatedly refer to the flu as the "H1N1 virus."

"This is not a food-borne illness, virus. It is not correct to refer to it as swine flu because really that's not what this is about," Vilsack said.

Israel has already rejected the name swine flu, and opted to call it "Mexico flu." Jewish dietary laws forbid eating pork.

The Paris-based World Organization for Animal Health also objected to the name, saying the virus contains avian and human components and no pig so far has been found ill with the disease.

And there is growing sentiment in the farm sector to call it the North American virus -- although disease expert Anthony Fauci told a Senate hearing the "swine flu" designation reflected scientific naming protocol.

For U.S. pork producers the swine flu name has hurt, forcing government officials into the position of stressing that American pork is safe to eat and that other countries should not ban imports.

Pork, soybean and corn prices have fallen in the last two days, "and if this continues, obviously you have significant potential, which is why it's important to get this right," Vilsack said.

At the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there was also talk of stripping the "swine" from swine flu, which CDC acting director Richard Besser said was leading to the misapprehension that people can catch the disease from pork.

"That's not helpful to pork producers. That's not helpful to people who eat pork. It's not helpful to people who are wondering, how can they get this infection," Besser told a briefing.

(Reporting by Tabassum Zakaria; Editing by Patricia Zengerle)

Art

2. topper

topper New Member

anything to draw attention away from the real problem?

Keep both barrels loaded!

3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Thanks Art

ah, would somebody please let the stupid people out of the room?

? When you die and go to whatever place is in your future, do you think you will have to spend eternity with stupid people?

4. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

In the rush by this administration to rename everything, I propose renaming the Democrat Party the Most Wonderful and Gracious Party. But if swine is not "helpful", it is still a pig when you get down to the n** cutting. Kind of like the U.S. Congress in general and the Liberal Democrats in prticular.

5. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

BULLETIN
    JUST IN

Sesame Street has announced that the letters "H, N and the number 1" will no longer be bringing you the latest shows. The are upset. They no longer will be taken for granted and demand the respect that is due to them. Using them to describe a flu is hurt full to their image of good letters and numbers. On the other hand the letters F,L,&U are despicable and dirty. "We will bring forth charges aganist F,L &U for discrimination and slander" Attoutneys for H,N,&1 said in a news briefing.

6. artabr

artabr New Member

:D :D :D :D

Good one!!!!!

Art

7. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Janet is just mad that the scientists named this flu after her.

8. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride Active Member

BCJ - That's the funniest thing I've heard all month!!! :D:D:D

I literally fell off of my chair laughing!!!

Secretary Janet Swineapolitano

It does kinda have a ring to it.... :D

9. primerib

primerib New Member

10. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

11. ARB

ARB New Member

Ahh, man! Does this mean that I'm going to have to go stock up on duct tape and plastic for my windows again? I just took down the last batch.:confused:

12. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

Ok...how about the "exwife flu" then? ...sucks the life from a person just as thourally! :rolleyes:

mike
    gn

13. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Well-Known Member

Since it happened during the first 100 days of Obamamania, why not call it
    "Obamaosis" Works for me:D

14. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Thank you thank you! I'm here all week:p:p

Swineapolitano does indeed have a nice ring to it. It just seems to roll off the tongue.:D:D Now, let's all hope I never meet Janet, or else I might "accedentally" call her Sec. Swineapolitano:eek::eek::p:D:D:D

Whoops, I just put myself on yet ANOTHER watchlist:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

15. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I really dont care what they call it. I reckon if I was a hog farmer I might be sensitive to the swine flu label as it looks like it has already had an effect on pork and feed prices. What ever they name it I hope that this does not become a super deadly killer. Our natio has enough problems let alone a potentially deadly flu virus.