The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently purchased what I was told to be a "Civil War era shotgun". On further investigation, it appears to be an English made sxs shotgun made by T. Bissell. I purchased the gun with the intent of cleaning it up a little for display. The gun has a significant amount of rust and the stock appears to have been repaired with a very old style repair. I have cleaned it up enough to free up the seized hammer and find any markings.

I am unfamiliar with antique guns, let alone English made guns. I have not had much success researching on the Internet, other than a few pictures of other Bissell made guns and a couple of Bissell patents. i would greatly appreciate any information that anyone can provide. (Pictures attached)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Welcome to TFF

Attached text is from 'Boothroyd's Directory of English Gunmakers'

I concur with Hawg, probably 1880s

Added comment: Although your gun is marked Birmingham, Boothroyd only listed London addresses for Bissell, but Birmingham was the gunmaking center, and the London addresses may have just retail outlets. Webley marked some of their guns "London & Birmingham" but their factory was in Birmingham.

-------------------------

Edit #2 - I don't think Thomas Bissell of London made your gun as I have access to UK censuses, and:

Residing in London 1881 and 1891 were Thomas Bissell born 1829 & Thomas Jr born 1862, both listed as gunmakers.

Residing in Birmingham 1871 were Charles Bissell born 1813, gun and pistol maker and son Thomas born 1857, moulder.

By 1881, Charles had died and Thomas was listed as a pistol maker. Thomas is not listed in 1891. (He was the only "T" Bissell listed)

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Hawg & hrf - good information

I guess I'll continue cleaning it up, but replacement parts are out of the question. Unless I find some other markings, 1880's it must be.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Thanks Hawg & hrf - good information

I guess I'll continue cleaning it up, but replacement parts are out of the question. Unless I find some other markings, 1880's it must be.
A C.W. shotgun would have been a muzzleloader.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts