The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has had my grand children out shooting several times throughout this past summer. My Grand Daughter has just turned 16 and my Grand son is 10. They both have their own .22 rifles and went through a couple or more bricks of ammo. They both caught on quickly and have become quite proficient with their rifles. Of course we spent a lot of time explaining the safe practices while handling firearms.They have also been schooled in cleaning and maintaining their firearms. When done the guns go into a locker until they are taken out with supervision.
My Grand daughter also got in some practice with her Winchester .308 until she got comfortable with it. Her practicing and the confidence she obtained paid dividends this past Sunday.
While hunting with my son in my enclosed blind they had a nice 8 pt. buck walk out into the field, scope out a couple does and lay down. They waited patiently until the buck stood up took another look at the does. The buck stood broadside, my Grand daughter put the scope on the bucks shoulder and pulled the trigger. The buck reared back and hit the ground right where he had stood. A perfectly placed shot at 158 yds. Through the heart, lungs and broke both front shoulders.
This was her first deer. She had passed on a couple smaller bucks but was holding out for a really nice one. This one dressed out at 182#. A nice deer for our area. I can't stress enough how important the practice played a role in her success.
I'm a proud Papa.
Lynn

·
TFF Chaplain
19,691 Posts
Well done, grand dad and gran daughter. You did a great job. Great for filling the freezer, and every time they take some venison out she'll be able to say "this is the one I got."

She'll be grinning ear to ear all year now. Hope she doesn't get in trouble from school snowflakes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts