Taliban claims NY shooting....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lori Mick, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Lori Mick

Lori Mick New Member

If this is true.....they had better not even think about any gun bans now!

A Pakistani Taliban militant leader has reportedly claimed responsibility for the attack on a U.S. immigration center in New York state in which 13 people were killed.

"I accept responsibility. They were my men. I gave them orders in reaction to U.S. drone attacks," Baituallah Mehsud told Reuters by telephone on Saturday.

A gunman blocked the rear door of the upstate New York immigration center, then walked through the front door and opened fire Friday, killing 14 people, likely including himself, on Friday.

Immigrants were preparing for citizenship testing at the time at the American Civic Association. Binghamton Police Chief Joseph Zikuski said 37 people were rescued from the building, and four of them were wounded and in critical condition.

The gunman reportedly was a 41-year-old man of Asian descent and lived in the Binghamton suburb of Johnson City. The man was carrying identification with the name Jiverly Voong, a local law enforcement official told The Associated Press — though there were conflicting reports of his age, and officials would not identify the shooter during the news conference.

The man believed to have carried out the attack was found dead with a self-inflicted gunshot wound in an office, a satchel containing ammunition slung around his neck, authorities said. Police found two handguns — a 9mm and a .45-caliber — and a hunting knife.

The ID name Jiverly Voong was believed to be an alias, said a law enforcement official, speaking on condition of anonymity.

A second law enforcement official, also speaking on condition of anonymity, said the two handguns were registered to Jiverly Wong, another name the man used. Both officials were not authorized to speak publicly.

Later Friday, authorities searched the home of the suspected gunman and carried out three computer hard drives, a brown canvas rifle case, a briefcase, a small suitcase and several paper bags.

Gov. David Paterson said the massacre was probably "the worst tragedy and senseless crime in the history of this city." Noting mass killings in Alabama and Oakland, California, last month, he said: "When are we going to be able to curb the kind of violence that is so fraught and so rapid that we can't even keep track of the incidents?"

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,512537,00.html

2. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

The Taliban? That seems so odd in relation to this situation, doesn't it? Or am I missing something?

Regardless of the why and who, it is terribly, terribly sad....and most assuredly to bring the Anti-2's out of the woodwork.

3. Lori Mick

Lori Mick New Member

I just woke up and wasn't sure I was reading it right.....

i'm looking for some more info....

unless it's just a scare tactic.....

ugh

4. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

I doubt it, but with enough time we'll know.

This whole thing makes me sick. First off for all those that were trying to do it the right and legal way.

Second for all honest firearm owners of America, did you hear Gun Ban Biden? Ya, we all know what his cure is for this type of 'problem'.

Third, buried underneath all surface feelings, it is another liberal mandated slaughter. As in another gun free zone that isn't so gun free.

Forth, media bias. Shoot even on Fox I heard the term 'automatic pistol', 'high power rifle', 'assult rifle'. All of these are the catch phrases to demonize all of us that do have those evil black weapons.

Sick sick sick events.

5. Lori Mick

Lori Mick New Member

So far I only found the story at Fox and Reuters....

But what if it is true? They know damned well that banning AK's or guns all together will NEVER stop malicious attacks on us.

What if it is true and the media hushes it up?

Apparently it just got reported to Reuters and Fox picked it up.

well, I guess we'll find out in due time....

sigh....

6. Lori Mick

Lori Mick New Member

I just did a search on this news..... It had just been reported about an hour ago.....and slowly it's starting to pop up on other news sites....

7. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I'd like the silly camel (NC-17) try that (R) some place where some armed rednecks live. I have had about enough of this crap, We got a Moron for a president, our national securiety sucks, we cant seem to keep the mexicans from coming into this country, RRRRRAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!. I mean honestly, it aint like you cant tell who these (PG 13) holes are. They either smell like beans and hot sauce or camel pu------- sory bout went too far I am goin to bed now.

8. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I doubt its true, and if it is the link will be light and loose, like they met once.

First, if he was a 'jihad warrior' there would be a letter to the effect on him or at his home. Second, it is not unknown when there is an attack, even a genuine terrorist attack for more than a couple of organisations to claim responsibility.

Its interesting the 'high powered rifle' the media was claiming the murderer was using has now morphed into two handguns. Nice to see when it comes to getting the facts straight the media are consistent.

I have no wish to speak in any way disrespectfully of those who died. Their families have my unreserved and sincere sympathy, but perhaps if a couple of the folk in the building had been armed and promptly returned fire, the toll may have been much less.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2009
  9. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

Confused... did he only have the pistols?

What city did this take place in? I thought it was NYC? I mean not to attach an arbitrary value to human life, but I'm not sure this compares with 9/11 as "worst tragedy".

I doubt a strong Taliban link. Islamic militants tend not to be so hot on self-inflicted-gunshots I believe.

10. Lori Mick

Lori Mick New Member

It took place in Binghamton, NY.... about 3 hours northwest of NYC....
    it's a nice small city.... and for them....yes, it was the worst tragedy...

The sad part was the people there were doing the right thing....trying to become American citizens and in class, learning the language preparing for the tests.

11. Lori Mick

Lori Mick New Member

April 3rd, 2009 5:17 PM Eastern
    JOHN LOTT: Gun-Free Zones Are a Magnet for Attacks Like the Tragedy In BinghamtonBy John R. Lott, Jr.
    Senior Research Scientist, University of Maryland, Author, “Freedomnomics”

Time after time multiple- victim public shootings occur in “gun free zones” — public places where citizens are not legally able to carry guns. The horrible attack today in Binghamton, New York is no different. Every multiple-victim public shooting that I have studied, where more than three people have been killed, has taken place where guns are banned.

If a killer were stalking your family, would you feel safer putting a sign out front announcing, “This home is a gun-free zone”? But that is what all these places did.

You would think that it would be an important part of the news stories for a simple reason: Gun-free zones are a magnet for these attacks. Extensive discussions of these attacks can be found here and here. We want to keep people safe, but the problem is that it is the law-abiding good citizens, not the criminals, who obey these laws. We end up disarming the potential victims and not the criminals. Rather than making places safe for victims, we unintentionally make them safe for the criminal.

At some point, you would think the media would notice that something is going on here, that these murderers aren’t just picking their targets at random. And this pattern isn’t really too surprising. Most people understand that guns deter criminals.

If a killer were stalking your family, would you feel safer putting a sign out front announcing, “This home is a gun-free zone”? But that is what all these places did.

Even when attacks occur, having civilians with permitted concealed handguns limits the damage. A major factor in determining how many people are harmed by these killers is the amount of time that elapses between when the attack starts and someone is able to arrive on the scene with a gun.

For years I would tell news people about the fact that every single multiple victim public shooting in the US involving more than three people killed took place in one of these gun-free zones. The response was they might include this information as part of the story if I could get it to them fast enough so that it could be included as part of the news story. But when I started to do that I was told that it would be editorializing to include that information. My response has been that if news stories can contain long (often inaccurate) discussions of the type of gun used in the crime, why isn’t it also newsworthy to note one common characteristic that occurs in attack after attack?

When will this simple fact about gun-free zones become part of the news coverage itself? How different would the political debate about guns be if even once in a while a news story mentioned that there has been another multiple victim public shooting in a gun free zone?

John Lott is a senior research scientist at the University of Maryland and the author of Freedomnomics

http://foxforum.blogs.foxnews.com/2...-for-attacks-like-the-tragedy-in-binghampton/

12. Brian48

Brian48 New Member

I really doubt the Taliban claim has any validity. It's probably just hot air.

13. artabr

artabr New Member

I doubt that there was any Taliban link. The Taliban, IMO is just trying to hijack a tragedy for their cause. They'll get 15 minutes of air time from the media.
    I might be wrong but I doubt it.
    If there would have been a connection the shooter would have made his martyr status known. These lowlifes are braggarts and blowhards. :mad:

Art

14. Lori Mick

Lori Mick New Member

now they're saying that his name was an alias....
    and it could have been his dad who had once worked at IBM....

15. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

That's a good article and brings up another point. Whether or not this act was sponsored by Al Qaida, the Taliban, or lunatics anonymous, I am sure that terrorist organizations would love to see all privately owned firearms banned in this country. I hope politicians consider this fact before trying to use crimes like this as an excuse for more restrictive gun laws.