The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll tell you what. Buying case gages and taper-crimp dies has turned out to be a great investment.

I had problems with ammunition fitting one of my guns but not the rest. I just assumed that if I used a common .45 barrel to test rounds, they would work in any gun. I made a lot of ammo that way. Then I tried shooting the cartridges from a PC1911, and a lot of them stuck halfway in.

I got a Wilson case gage and a Hornady taper crimp die. Today I ran hundreds of oversized rounds through the die, and I used the gage, not a barrel, to set it up. Now I have ammunition that actually works, not just in my SW1911, but in any .45 ACP firearm. I was afraid this ammunition would never be any good in any other pistol, but it's fine now.

The taper die didn't mess anything up. The OAL's are unchanged. I'm ready to shoot .45 again!

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Lee was the first to make a .223 taper crimp die, and I bought one of the first ones when we got heavy into load testing with the then new 1-7" twist. They were a godsend! The first surprise was a close to a 100fps boost on some loads, the second was how much they extend brass life.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some people discouraged me from buying them, but they're a huge help.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Yup these tools definitely work. I use the Lee FCD in all my loads, it irons out most imperfections, and the case gauge makes sure the FCD did its job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts