The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you had to go get a target rifle right now what would it be?

example.. your intended targets will be 100-200 yd paper or simple knock down targets.

17hmr?

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
.223 Rem. I can reload .223 ammo cheaper than you can buy 17hmr and a .223 is much more versatile than a 17hmr, If you ever want to shoot out to 300-500 yards the .223 will do just fine. At 500 yards the 17 will have run out of steam a long ways back.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
More info needed...

How much do you want to spend, do you reload, are you going to ever need to hunt or go to the field for any other reason with it or go longer...what kind of optics are you bugeting for....maybe a few more...

.17HMRs are accurate as heck out to 125 or a little more...depending on how you can call the wind....any .17 (from the Mach1 to any of the centerfires) are accurate as heck, maybe more accurate than any other rim or centerfire cartridge, and the speed gives nice wallop on varmints downtrange too...but the bullets are tiny as hell and any wind (heck a slight BREEZE,) will screw with your downrange accuracy enough you will be swearing like a sailor on 30-40% of your long range shots..while being impressed as HECK with the accuracy and the ballistic results of rest of them...;)

·
Registered
18,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm.. 6br.. have seen one at a show.. hadn't looked too much at it. a guy i buy some once fired 218bee brass from now and then has it.

if 223 is the target ticket.. i have one in a rem 700 boltgun ( 222 as well ).

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Now don't sell that .222 short!

It held ALL the benchrest records in the late 50s, 60s and early 70s!

The .223 used the .222 as the starting point....and was actually developed from the .222 Magnum.

The .223 only just RECENTLY became as accurate as the .222 was noted for since it was invented in like 1950, only because more components are available for the .223 so it allowed for more experimentation...

Yeah, with work, the .223 will do ANYTHING the .222 will do and perhaps will be better at EVERYTHING after you play with it...,.

But out of the box that .222 will outshoot ANY .223 out of the box...with factory ammo or reloads.

Everything about the .222 cartridge from the very beginning shouts inherent ACCURACY...

The .223 will MATCH it, with work, but can never BEAT it as far as accuracy....

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
You have ALL you need in that M700 in .222...;) Put the money you were going to spend on the HMR into a good Leupold or Nikon scope on it and you are in BUSINESS....;)

G

·
While I love the 222 and the 223. Both of my 223's are damn fine shooters.

My M700 prints .4" groups with 50gr V-Max and my AR prints .4 to .6" groups with 60gr V-Max's. I sprung for some nice fancy Berger 80gr for my AR i need to load them up and get to the range with it warms up.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I would use my Sharps in 45-70. One shot would cover the group you'd shoot with your. .22's.......

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
I would use my Sharps in 45-70. One shot would cover the group you'd shoot with your. .22's.......
I hear you 410, my '97 slug gun makes a SWEET 3/4" group at 100-as loing as it's a one shot group!;)

Seriously, I can make a three shot group with it at 50 from a bench where they will all TOUCH, but it STILL pushes almost 2" for the group size!:eek::D:D

Gotta love those BIG holes. MUCH easier to spot on the target.:p

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
I've always liked the .222, and almost bought a Sako for my walking around gun, but while I STILL believe it's a better "target" round than the .223 just for accuracy, for the record....;)

I went with my Mossberg MVP in 5.56 (223) simply because I was already reloading for the .223 for my AR, and components are not only more available, I already OWN a bunch of them....

So BESIDES plunking down bucks for the new dies, I would have to start accumulating brass....and THEN work up loads from scratch for it:cool:....

So YEAH, I have shot several VERY accurate .223s so it will be "almost" as good....:p;):D:D

Close enough anyway for a lazy reloader like me without a lot of time on his hands....anyway....;)

Bottom line I do NOT want to see the .222 die, it's a helluva round, but yeah the .223 WILL now do anything the .222 will do, probably easier, and (gasp) (I hate to say it....:cool:)

Probably BETTER....

(I ALSO love the Hornet too.....;))

·
Registered
18,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hmm.. 222 223... now if 218bee wasn't so spendy to get brass for.. maybee that.. but I don't think it's gonna be good for the long end of the range...

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
hmm.. 222 223... now if 218bee wasn't so spendy to get brass for.. maybee that.. but I don't think it's gonna be good for the long end of the range...
Funny, but in my quest for my "Walking around" Varmint gun I found a SWEET used Ruger #1 in .218 Bee in a gun shop in Ft Wayne for like $750...

The Bee is a Hornet for repeaters, so I was drooling a little...:cool:

But outside of having to load for it, which would be about twice as hard getting components as a Hornet and that isn't easy.... I ALSO am not yet ready for tinkering with a Ruger #1 for accuracy....

SUCH a beautiful rifle, but so MANY horror stories about what it can take to make on shoot into less than an inch...somehow you spend that much for such a quality rifle you shouldn't have to be talking about "Shimming the Foreend" and "reworking the trigger....":cool:

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
My custom savage .308

·
Registered
18,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hurt my shoulder to shoot something like that all day.. that's why I'm thinking little

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
nah. my savage .308 has the recoil of a light .243.

·
Registered
18,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i think even shooting 243 all day I might be ore. ;)

22lr, 218, 222, 223, I think I an safely doo all day.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I just did a 16" savage .308 for a guy. I installed an M11 brake on it its reduction was even greater than the Vias on my .308. his recoil was so minimal you could shoot it and still see the target in the scope afterward. And that was with 168 gr Hdy Zmax

G

·
Soundguy are you recoil sensitive?

Shooting any centerfire larger than a 22hornet is going to wear you out if you do it all day long. Recoil, heat, eye fatigue, mental fatigue all factor into shooting. as the day goes on

1 - 20 of 31 Posts