Targets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greg48, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Greg48

Greg48 New Member

There seems to be literally a hundred different types of targets to choose from (e.g. http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf.html). Is one better than others for improving marksmanship? What targets do you use (and why) for:

Indoor pistol
    Outdoor pistol
    outdoor rifle (centerfire & .22)

Thanks.

2. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

3. pawn

pawn Active Member

excellent free target site G48, THANKS! :D

4. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

We print our own targets commericaly, depending on what my buddies and I want to accomplish at the range--mostly indoor. Some things to consider. When you want to use them outdoors, a heavy paper will keep em from flying around. Black and red look nice but if you want to see exactly where that round is hitting, use a red ink, the holes show up easily. We also have one that we use at a range that is poorly lit, has a red center, forcing you to zero in on the center when using open sights. Hope this helps.

5. Greg48

Greg48 New Member

Good advice, PPK32. I'll definitely heed it.

6. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I have some of these targets, they are the best!

7. 358 winchester

358 winchester New Member

9 inch paper plates work great

8. 38 special

38 special New Member

I use 81/2 x 11 pieces of paper and stick on orange dots. I shoot different reloads and note the particular load (powder,bullet primer).I keep the targets in a 3 ring binder tabbed for each gun so I can (thru trial and error) find the most accurate load. I have developed some very accurate loads this way.

9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I use mostly shoot-n-c and dirty bird targets for everything. My old eyes can see those hits so much better with them!

10. bigbore480

bigbore480 Member

11. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I prefer to use a target with horizontal and vertical grid lines spaced 1" inch apart. That makes is easy to know how much to adjust your shots.

12. I often use those too, Ron, especially when I'm shooting handguns. Best of all, they are very cheap and easy to replace. I also like to use a variety of Q targets for handgun practice.

For plinking with a rifle, one of my favorites is to use the bright orange clay pigeons set into a target berm at whatever distance I'm shooting that day. For precision work they're obviously not the best, but I've found that they work well for checking the sights on an already sighted-in rifle.

13. islenos

islenos Active Member

My favorite target, we've printed a few thousand of these...:D

Attached Files:

14. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

10/4 on that pistol, i do the same. its always more fun to shoot something other than paper. Of course you need a traditional paper target for sighting in. But at the ranch we go to the refrigerator and clean out all the stuff that is turning bad. Cups of yogert, melon, berrys, eggs whatever. Also use the hulls form our 12 ga skeet shoot. If you got kids with you, well now that just more fun. Have the kids fill ballons with water and place them on a bench or something.

edit: i forgot to mention that when i was a teenager and in my early 20's i lived in new orleans. i always lover the elections because the terds would put there signs on the median. (illegal) we would take them to the range. good freebee's

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009