Taurus 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Tony22-250, Apr 28, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

I am thinking of buying a Taurus model 1911AL for a personal side arm/home defense. What are the pros and cons about this firearm? reliability, jamming, cleaning?. I have not personally shot one and would like to hear from people who either have one or have shot one.

IMO it looks sharp and you cant go wrong with a .45.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=609&category=Pistol

[​IMG]

2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

mind you this is just an opinion. though the taurus comes with all the bells and whistles and is a ok gun you can get a iai american classic with all the bells and whistle just like the taurus for 200 less. 200 buys alot of ammo

3. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

Just another opinion here. I have been looking at 1911 style pistols recently myself. While I considered Taurus, Springfield, Para and Colt I decided to go with a Kimber Custom II. Different people will rave about each and have their issues with the others. I did have one dealer that I do business with say that he prefers the Taurus. And he carries them as well as Kimber and Springfield regularly. Like I said, just my preference to go with Kimber.

4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

kimber is the class act in the field of "normal " 45's far better than a taurus the only ones that are better are the high end custom type les bear's and wilsons again just an opinion

5. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Except for on this thread I have always heard good things about the Taurus 1911. Many say it is the best value in a 1911 on the market today. The Taurus warranty can not be beat (lifetime of the piece...not the owner). A Taurus 1911 will be my next purchase.

6. Goneracin

Goneracin Member

hmmm this makes me think of giving the taurus a second look

7. neal396

neal396 New Member

I love my Taurus 1911PT. Ive only had it for a couple of days and already put 100 rounds through it. It feels like a good solid strong machine. Taking it apart becomes easier the more you do it. I will certainly let you know if I encounter any problems.

8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have owned a Kimber, an IAI, an RIA, a Colt, and I presently own a Taurus. They are all fine weapons with the Colt, Kimber, and Taurus being the best of those I have owned. I will have to say that the Taurus shoots as good as the other higher priced pistols. I would recommend it without any reservations at all.

9. darwin-t

darwin-t New Member

Some people have had problems with the ambi safety breaking. I have one a like it. The frame,slide and barrel are matched up in some way - all have the serial number, IIRC.

If you can find one, you might look into a Rock Island Tactical or Match. Tacticals are cheaper and similar in features and quality. Match have hand fitted parts.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/1911.aspx

You may have trouble finding them, though.

Para just came out with a basic 1911, too.

My favorite 1911 is a stainless steel Para high cap single action. Least favorite is a Springfield Champion. I carry a Rock Island with Crimson Trace grips.

Oh, the Taurus has a full length guide rod.

10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

darwin, welcome to the Forum!!

11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Tony, While I cannot say I care much for the aluminum framed 1911. The taurus PT1911 is a fine pistol. I have 1, a standard PT1911 that I have taken far into the aftermarket world with everything replaced except the frame and slide. They mak fine shooters and are very reliable as they come, and are excellent platforms for the gun nut that would like to own a full on custom, but, like me cannot afford a $2500 pistol. The only thing left Taurus on mine is the frame and slide. I still use the taurus mags when I go shootin, but when its carried or loaded in the night stand its loaded with power mags. I say buy as many as you can afford, I am looking into a PT1911 C in 9mm for my wife. Taurus does indeed make a fine 1911. In my line of work, I have had the pleasure of fixing, cleaning, and testing some of the higher end 1911 variants and I believe the Taurus 1911s are in the same wheelhouse as kimbers, springfields, and paras. The only one coming even close to matching the value of a Taurus is a Springfield GI. Taurus is a solid gun, at an exceptional value;)