The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased this revolver due to its light weight and ease of carry. I also like the power of a .357 but quickly found the DA trigger very stiff, 15 lbs plus. So I ordered wolf springs believing they would be as easy to install as in my Rugers. Removing the grip and putting a pin in the spring retainer, i see no easy way to remove the hammer spring, so I heard about someone who had used a drummel and small grinding wheel to decrease pull weight. Unable to remove the spring, I used a chain saw stone on a drill to carefully pair down the spring, moving it in several different ways. It is not the cleanest solution but seems to have greatly smoothed out the trigger without influencing the SA pull. Just be careful not to sever the spring or over grind it in any one area which may cause breakage I imagine.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Mak, I'd be very careful, as you don't want to lighten up the strike too much to where you start getting misfires-- Was it a new gun, or used? If it was new, it might have been an idea to run a few boxes of ammo thru it, after lubing it thoroughly, to give it some time to "wear in".
I'm not familiar with that Taurus model, is it DAO or SA/DA?
I have two Taurus .357 "wheelguns", and have been very happy with them, the SA trigger pull on both is as good as any of my other revolvers. Can't say as the DA trigger pull is that stiff, on mine, just average. "Undercover
They were selling new Taurus .38 Spl. Snubbies last weekend, at the Orlando, Florida Gun Show, for $229., and I was tempted to buy one, but my old Charter Arms .38 Spl. 'Undercover" has served me every day as my CC piece, for many years, so I passed on them.
Cheers,
Fred (Honcho)

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
I love Taurus revolvers, and find them to be very well made guns. One I bought 32 years ago, and it still shoots and looks like brand new. Before altering springs I would recommend deburing and polishing any parts where they might rub during function. You don't need to break out the power tools. Just a light swipe with a jeweler's file is enough to remove any sharp edges. Wet sand with 600 grit sandpaper from any auto parts store will give you a mirror finish. That will smooth that trigger right out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts