The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Taurus 617 Titanium with cylinder erosion on the face of the cylinder. I bought the gun second hand. I have sent it to Taurus for repair I assume they will simply replace the cylinder. I am invested in making this revolver work. Its a great design. 7 shots and the size of a K frame in 357 magnum. So going forward I am considering ideas to prevent erosion in the future. Not using hot loads is a given. My question is do you think cerakoting the cylinder will add to its strength and resistance? Or is there a coating that will increase its strength?Your thoughts

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
I honestly do't think this gun was intended to be an everyday shooter. It was designed to be a very lightweight carry gun. This is the reason for guns Like the S&W L frame and other pistols intended be shot with heavy loads and often.

·
Administrator
25,060 Posts
The Taurus 617 Titanium revolver is intended as a daily carry weapon.
Range use with .357 loads will shorten it life as a usable weapon.
If you insist on using it at the range, load it with .38 special rounds.

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
Not being an alloy frame gun, it should tolerate 'book' 357mag loads for 'life' as a cary gun and occasional shooter. As a daily shooter, I'd feed it 38spl, or 38+p to keep my recoil memory going.

2 things come to mind on throat erosion. If it was eating a diet the substantial eroded the cyl, what did it do to the frame?

Are you sure some him gunsmithing wasn't done on it to open up the throats for some purpose lil a cast loader trying oversized projectiles and not wanting them pre swaged prior to entering the fc/barrel?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not being an alloy frame gun, it should tolerate 'book' 357mag loads for 'life' as a cary gun and occasional shooter. As a daily shooter, I'd feed it 38spl, or 38+p to keep my recoil memory going.

2 things come to mind on throat erosion. If it was eating a diet the substantial eroded the cyl, what did it do to the frame?

Are you sure some him gunsmithing wasn't done on it to open up the throats for some purpose lil a cast loader trying oversized projectiles and not wanting them pre swaged prior to entering the fc/barrel?
I have no idea what the previous owner shot through it. Frame is good. The cylinder face shows typical erosion. I Plan on cerakoting the revolver

1 - 5 of 5 Posts