Taurus Customer Service

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by hdbicker, Nov 18, 2011.

1. hdbicker

hdbicker New Member

I am a Retired Chicago Police Officer and I have the misfortune of buying a Taurus model 96 revolver, 22 LR. Really good price, used. I knew and was happy with the lifetime Warranty, so I figured, why not. The trigger pull was horrible. Maybe 25lbs Double Action. Still not a bad buy for the price. Even with all the stacking and power of the Hammer Springs inside, it misfired 1 or 2 times each 6 rounds. I sent it back to Taurus and the firearm was repaired in a very timely fashion. A second problem, that was never addressed by Taurus is the Cylinder was dragging against the forcing cone, causing an even harder trigger pull. I called and was Serviced by someone who identified himself as THE SERVICE MANAGER, sorry don’t remember his name.. I told him the problem and he said that I should send it back and Taurus would correct the problem. I ask why they (Taurus) didn't at least do a cursory inspection, even for safety purposes. and see the cylinder was dragging The answer was that Taurus would only repair what the consumer stated was a problem, and only that alone. ( Can you imagine a bent barrel, split cylinder, whatever) I asked if Taurus would at least pay 1/2 on the reshipping. NO! Was the answer. At 30 dollars a pop for shipping, I didn't send it back. The conversation turned a little heated, so I dropped it. I am a Former (37 Year) Chicago Police Officer, and 6 year Range Officer. I went to most Gunsmith schools, What a surprise when I opened the side plate. CRUDE, Really Crude. I lubed the moving parts and put the firearm back together. Than through my own stupidity I lost the center pin spring. Real dumb on my part. Called Taurus to order a center pin spring. They were very Polite. ( Someone named Robert ) and I was told he would send the part. NEVER GOT the part. Called again. I was told by some female in Customer Service the part would be sent at no cost. Great! After no part as promised. Maybe Service Manager threw me under the bus. I went out and replaced the spring on my own (Probably I lost the Warranty now because of the spring replacement LOL). Never again SMH. I know Taurus is way less than a comparable S&W now. I guess you only get what you pay for. I WILL NEVER MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE AGAIN AND PURCHASE AN INFERIOR PRODUCT AT ANY COST.

2. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow, I have had some good service from them. I had a slide latch that wouldnt latch on a millinium pro and sent it to them and got it back in 7 days no prob. Got a set of grips on warrantie from them in 2 days. I have 4 taurus guns and those two problems are the only two problems I have ever had. I have been hearing about some issues with S&W service lately too. I wonder whats up with that.

3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Guess I got lucky. After 20 some years my practice pistol a 3" model 94 stopped firing and sent it in. Came back in week and a half and had a check list of what they looked at and a new fireing pin. They do have a heavy trigger pull but when all is right they go bag ,Well mine did for 20 years. My old carry gun isstill smooooth and nice a egualy as old model 85 that I dare a sw to work better.

Check your cylinder for front to rear movement. If a revolver has not been serviced well and your sound like the lst owner only shot it till it darn near quit They will develope wear that can be shimmed at the frontof the cylinder to set it back and that will help with the fireing pin stricking harder and let it turn free. Get some spray brake cleaner to wash the action out then with an a drop or 3 of break free clp to slick it up. I pull the side plates off my revolvers I shoot alot and spray them out and relube once a year. Good to go.

4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

That center pin spring you speak of may be considered a restricted part. They will not send it to you. Problem is the CS at Taurus does not know what those parts always are. Cylinder dragging on the cone is common, other issues are the cylinder lugs are under cut so some ammo will lock the gun out upon firing. Taurus is trying to cut down on repair times but the problem is that they aren't always fixing the problem

5. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I have 4 Taurus revolvers and have had no problems with them what so ever. If I had I wouldn't have bought any more after having problems. I have found them to be accurate and well made. Well worth the money. I would recommend them to anyone.

6. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

Taurus Customer Service has always been good to me no matter the problem or question.

7. tonygrz

tonygrz New Member

As far as I'm concerned, Taurus customer service has ruined me on Taurus. The one time I had to send a revolver back, I was billed by FedEx for $95 shipping and Tarus wouldn't pay the fee or reimburse me. I had 8 Taurus pistols and revolvers and put them all up for sale at my LGS. Never again.

Tony G

8. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

I have a Taurus-941 8 shot 22 magnum in high polished stainless steel.I love it and have had no problems with mine.Awesome 8 shot firepower.Kaboom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. 57elliot

57elliot New Member

Taurus warranty is pretty shaky. They wait 3 months before they will even look at your gun. Finally they got a chance to look over a PT845 pistol that was not resetting the trigger. Now they say they won't fix it due to "customer abuse modification". Maybe they are correct. I am not the original owner, so I can't say what the prior owner(s) did or did not do. But now it is over a week since I told them to return the gun, and they haven't done so. They said frame mounting points were modified making firearm unsafe. Would be nice to get back so that I could inspect. Not really impressed with them. I am a dealer. when I send in a Ruger or even cheapo Hi-points they always fix and get them back within 2 weeks. Now it has been over 3 months and not only hasn't taurus fixed it, but they haven't timely returned it. You should see the total cr-p/abused firearms that I've returned to Hipoint that they fixed or replaced. Also had an at least 60 year old Mark 1 Ruger, where I was probably the 5th or 6th owner, which had a broken main spring. Took Ruger just 10 days to fix and and get it back to me. All they asked was for me to ship it to them at my expense. Taurus offered to give me a discount on a new firearm. That might have been acceptable if their "discount" wasn't a price that was 20% higher then what I can get retail. Now I am cutting back on stocking Taurus models and will be pushing Ruger products more.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  10. Ibmikey99$

Ibmikey99$ Well-Known Member

I will not echo the OP with my Taurus experience other than to say it did not function properly when first purchased, Taurus required I pay to get it there, took forever for return, problem not repaired properly and new one created. The pistol was included in the next court ordered firearms I had to destruct so no one else would need to deal with Taurus over that revolver again.

drymag likes this.
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

This thread is coming up on 7 years old!

drymag likes this.
  12. Ibmikey99$

Ibmikey99$ Well-Known Member

The content has not changed, the service has not improved according to responses on many forums. My experience was only two years ago.

13. rawright54

rawright54 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The topic itself is an oxymoron; we won't carry Taurus. We warrant everything we sell for life, and can't afford them.