Taurus judge 4510 revolver ?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by smokyhollowforge, Apr 30, 2009.

1. smokyhollowforge

smokyhollowforge New Member

Ok I was out looking at a taurus web site and found they have a handgun that will chamber a 3" 410 shotgun shell or a 45 cal bullet. It is the Judge 4510 either 2.5" or 3" chamber. Is this correct you can put the same shell that I put in any of my 410 shotguns and it will work?. I got to have this! Are there other manufactures that make this also? Are these guns any good or junk? I would like to know anyone's input on these type guns.
    Thanks

2. bedwards

bedwards New Member

Taurus is the only one making it and it seems to have quite a following. So much so that Federal is making a shell just for it. I have one with the 2.5 chamber and have really enjoyed shooting it. It seems well made and finished. The grips help the hold for smaller hands. It is NOT a target pistol, but for snakes or self defense, it packs a lot in one package. You will find a lot of people hot and cold for anything Taurus. Personally, I've had no issues. Mine performs best with #6 for reptiles and I keep 000 buck and Winchester Silver Tips in it by the bed. My only wish is that it was a 6 shot instead of 5.
    here is more than you can digest in an evening:http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php
    be

3. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Well-Known Member

Yes you can fire a 45 long colt or a 410 shotgun shell from it. I have it in the 3 inch stainless and yes I think it is well built. I've fired many rounds out of this gun and it performed rather well. There is another manufacturer that makes a similar gun the gun is called a thunder 5 it is way more rugged than the Taurus but not as pleasurable to shoot. I was actually in search of the thunder 5 but didn't want to pay 600 dollars for it because I seen one in a shop for 325 used and when I went back for it it was gone, Thats when I found the Judge. I have had mine for around 2.5 to 3 years. Think before you buy one. It is large to carry for personal protection, And unless you reload expensive to shoot. I too just had to have this gun now I think to myself sometimes Why did I buy this. I am fairly large 6'5'' 330 lbs. and I can carry it for personal protection nearly undetected. Try it before you buy it. JUNK

4. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Well-Known Member

I have the blued 3 inch magnum chamber. the 3 inch chambers are harder to find, but I would wait for one if I were you. You can shoot a much higher variety of shells in it. I was like you, I didn't know I needed one untill I saw one. They are a lot of fun and great for home protection. Mine is loaded with 2 3/4 golden bear #4 buck. Thats five pellets that hold a tight pattern and they have a lot of powder behind them.

5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Taurus isn't a manufacturer of junk guns. They put out a good product. Especially with this being their own design, I feel confident in saying that it is well-built (even having no experience with this particular gun).

(The people who criticize Taurus for their "lack of quality" are generally talking about older Taurus guns that were built on S&W machines. For a time in the 70s, the two companies had the same owner, and they shared all info. Then, in the 80s, Beretta had set up a factory in Brazil to make guns for the military, and when the contracts were up, sold the factory--turnkey--to Taurus.)

6. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

They outta Build a pistol that fires the 12guage 2 3/4 OObuck shell....:D:D:D:D

mike
    gn

7. fleetwood1976

I think JUNKKING was mearly signing off.

Fleet

8. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Well-Known Member

Mike do you remember seeing the old Walther flare guns? or have you ever seen one? They can be sleeved for 12 guage so easily. My brother bought one 15 or so years ago from an old guy in the neighborhood. The guy warned him of the recoil so he was afraid to shoot it. I took the first shot with a 2 3/4" federal high brass. I looked like Popeye swinging his arm in a circle before he punched Brutis. It split the skin on the inner side of my thumb requiring 8 stitches. From that day on nothing but target reloads were fired from it, But if you want to talk about fun thats a gun! JUNK

9. smokyhollowforge

Ok so if one were to go out and buy one what would you prefer 3", 4" or 6 1/2" barrel? 2.5" chamber or 3" ? I am leaning towards 4" barrel and 3" chamber. The 3" chamber mainly because I already own guns that shoot that shell, so I have plenty of the same ammo around for them. Again thanks for you input!

10. fleetwood1976

Your right on the money. 3 inch chamber is the way to go in my opinion.

11. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

OK, now the inevitable question:
    How exactly is it chambered to acomodate both, and can a .410 shotgun be chambered /modded to fire .45? (Rem 1100/.410)
    :):):)

12. Monkey Hollow

Monkey Hollow Member

I looked long and hard at the Judge. I passed on it because of the weight. Instead, I bought the Bond Arms Cowboy Defender. It is an over-under derringer type that looks like it came out of the 1860's. It weighs about 1/3 the weight of the Judge. It recoils about the same as my S&W model 66 with a 2 1/2" barrel with hot loads. All of these .45/410 guns have a long chamber to accomodate the length of the shotshell. When you shoot a .45 Long Colt (or Schofield) out of it, the bullet has to travel through free bore before it even engages the rifling, so great accuracy is not possible. Also, because of NFA of 1934, smoothbores are not permitted, so manufacturers of these guns have to include some type of rifling. They use a real slow twist rate. As soon as my dealer gets in a Judge, it flies off the shelf. They can't get in enough around here. If I were to buy one, I would get the 3"" chamber, so it would shoot any .410 shell you feed it.

13. smokyhollowforge

Thanks for all the input. I am more interest to use it with the 410 shell in it then a 45, Since I have a colt 45 70 series. I like the idea of having 5 410 shells at my beckon call! I love the idea of a 12 gauge pistol!! :D

14. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I wish that they had come out with the 3 inch chamber at the beginning, as it is a little more difficult to find the shorter shells. I like my Judge, it is fun to shoot. I don't believe that accuracy is something they were looking at when developing it. I have shot .45 in mine and it is accurate enough to hit a man sized target at 20 to 25 yards without any problem. Five shots will not be in a three or four inch spread, but accurate enough. I think the main selling point of these are the 5 shots of .410 and they, in my humble opinion, are a good home defense pistol.

15. fleetwood1976

Golden bear 2 3/4 #4 buck holds one hell of a nice pattern, Far better than the Winchester 3 ought buck.