Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Y'all,

I was reading an article in a waiting room where the author was saying that the Judge, and other firearms designed to fire either the .410 shotgun or the .45 Long Colt shoot neither shell/round well. (no, I don't remember the publication - I received 'happy juice' shortly afterwards o_O)

Is he right? What does he mean by 'well' if he is right?

I don't own one, but they've always intrigued me and, were I to fall backwards into a pile of money I'd likely buy one. Unless what this guy says is true.

As always, thanks a million!

Panoply

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
410 is loaded for a18"+ barrel. Ballistics out of a 2" to 4" barrel are bound to suffer and the .410 ain't exactly powerhouse to begin with. The 45 Colt is more at home in the short barrel but the reports I have read indicate the accuracy is marginal at best......so you have a very short barreled underpowered shotgun or an exceptionally large for caliber five shot 45 pistol with ho hum accuracy. Some find it a useful arm, to each their own but like most Swiss knife type gizmos it does work but not excel.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
Please don't go by hearsay.. I own one and at 50 ft will put 4 of 000 pellets in a dinner plate.. and at 30 yards will place all 5 of the 45. in a saucer. Now Mine is the tracker with the 6 in barrel and I cant say the shorter ones will do as well. But for a close quarter weapon it does very well. As far as being under powered? the pellets from the 410 hit with the same velocity and mass per pellet as a 12 guage, the 12 just has more of them, But in close the 410 is like shooting 4, 9mm each shot! and the defense loads back those pellets with shot pellets.. think shrapnel? so in a house the 410 does less house damage.. scares just as bad (its almost like a 12 going off in a hall way) has a huge flame finger to futher frighten the perp and with the last 3 loaded with 45 lc is as potent as anyone needs.

Reactions: carver

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
The S&W Governor is a much better example of a 410 handgun, I have a Judge...I wish it was a Governor. They kill rattlesnakes like nobody's beeswax at short (20ft.) range....I know.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
While these guns don't interest me at all, there are some companies that make specific .410 ammo for them that might work better than the standard .410 shotgun ammo. Still, a .410 shotgun with an 18" barrel will certainly out perform the pistol with the specialty ammo. It's been my experience in life that tools made to do many different jobs, do none of them really well. While tools made for a specific job perform far better. To me it's like the argument "is a .22 a viable SD hand gun". If it's all you have, use it.

·
Registered
18,208 Posts
I have a circuit judge. ie, the carbine.

it actually helps the 410 side of it.

it's still a compromise gun.

If I was going to carry a BIG revolver like a judge.. I'd just as soon carry my sw500mag or my python.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.