The Firearms Forum banner

Taurus Model 85

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  carver 
#1 ·
I would be interested in you input on the Taurus model 85, 38spl +P. Is it a revolver that you could easily carry in your pants pocket?

#2 ·
I would buy one, and carry it. They aren't the best looking guns out there, but they work. If you intend to shoot it a lot, you might be better off with a little more expensive pistol.

#8 ·
some years back I got in a deal and bought 10 of the model 85s that were Russian police or some such thing, trade ins.
I bought 10 of them for $1350 plus shipping. Every one of them were the ugliest, most beat up looking guns I ever owned.
But all 10 shot like a dream.

#9 ·
I have owned a Taurus 85UL w/external hammer for about 15 years. It is one of my primary carry guns in either a belt holster or a pocket holster. As others have said it is less expensive than the S&W J frames and would probably wear out before a S&W would. I have not shot all that many rounds through mine but I have not had any problems at all with it. We also own 2 S&W J frames, one steel frame and 1 allow frame. They are both Centennials with enclosed hammers. We also own 2 Ruger LCR's, a .22 cal and a .38 Special. I consider them just as good as the J frames in every way and have a better trigger than the J frames.
But to answer your original question, the Taurus 85 is a very good revolver for pocket carry and is a great value for the price paid. The light weight versions are more pleasant to carry than the steel frames because they are so much lighter.

#10 ·
I have owned a Taurus 85UL w/external hammer for about 15 years. It is one of my primary carry guns in either a belt holster or a pocket holster.
I stopped by a one of our local gun shops and looked at a Taurus .38 UltraLite, it seemed to me that there was too much play in the cylinder. It was a brand new gun but it looked cheap. What is your thoughts on this?

#14 ·
Okay, so I went to a gun shop down the road from us and compared the S&W.38 Airweight and the Taurus .38 Ultralight. There was a price on the new Taurus for $319, on the used (but in great condition) Airweight was $379. I offered them $340 for the Airweight which they accepted, so I am now a proud owner of an Airweight.

Thanks for all your input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.