Taurus settlement!

Discussion in 'Firearms News, Reviews, and Featured Articles' started by Txwheels, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

Gotta' love them lawyers...........NOT. Sounds as though the safety does not restrict the movement of the firing pin when the weapon is dropped, I'm not aware of any handgun design that does that. They are probably somehow at fault for not telling the people involved, DON'T DROP YOUR GUN.

drymag and carver like this.
  2. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member

Of the models that had this problem none of the Gen 2 were subject to the recall. My first Taurus, a PT-945 was also not on the list, but it too suffered a defect, though it was a Brittle Extractor that would break. Mine did with-in the first 10 rounds. Taurus Fixed it for free. I was with out the gun for a total of 3 weeks. Shipped it to the them without the magazines it came with, when I got it back it had 2 brand new magazines for free.

carver, howlnmad and drymag like this.

3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member

I have never cared for Taurus. Maybe a bit caused from their ill beginnings but I have just never came around.

Highboy

joe45c, carver, drymag and 1 other person like this.
  4. 76Highboy

The 1911 model 80 series restricts the firing pin from moving. Also, the Ruger 1911's have a titanium firing pin. Titanium is feather weight so it cannot develop the inertia needed to strike the primer if dropped. It could be said the Ruger is designed to restrict firing pin movement.

Highboy

joe45c, carver and drymag like this.
  5. Twicepop

OK, I'll give you the Series 80, as for the Ruger that's stretching the point a bit.

carver, howlnmad and 76Highboy like this.
  6. 76Highboy

No, I don't think so. The titanium firing pin was used to defeat this exact safety issue and it works perfectly. The reason the series 70 became an issue for many 1911 builders was because the firing pin could fail if dropped. So, the series 80 was designed. Ruger's approach, as opposed to going with the series 80, was to use a titanium firing pin and the problem was solved. IMO, I don't think that is stretching it. Very practice IMO, and that was why I went with the Ruger.

Thanks Twicepop,
    Highboy

carver likes this.
  7. Twicepop

Yes, I think so. It's apples and oranges, the only commonality is they are both fruits, but are different, The blocked firing pin of the Series 80 and the titanium firing pin are metaphorically both fruits, but are two totally different entities that may or may not achieve the same results. The safety is in most instances a positive mechanical device to limit or stop the movement of the trigger, the sear or the hammer in most cases, or block the firing pin as in the Series 80. The titanium firing pin is in no way a positive restriction device, it only lessens the chance of an inertia firing. Two completely different approaches to possibly achieve the same results, thanks for you feedback.

carver and howlnmad like this.
  8. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

May be the wrong perspective, but: re "The ar-15 slamming a round in can sometimes dimple the primer." This would suggest a rifle dropped vertically on the barrel from the carry position would not discharge the round as the momentum would be less than the recoil spring momentum (guessing). Yet, the ar pin is heavier than a pistol. Sounds like too much engineering to figure out so it would behoove not dropping the gun to avoid proving an engineer wrong or making a lawyer rich. Yet what you wrote makes sense, which means no cents for the lawyer.

carver likes this.
  9. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

I bought a pt-111-G2 9mm when it went on sale and had a rebate coupon (also got a mil discount). I'm going to get another one around the Christmas time if they repeat their pattern from last year. I was never a fan of Taurus (except the Judge), but the cheap price made me jump on it. Glad I did. It is a fun gun to shoot and manages the recoil nicely.

carver and howlnmad like this.
  10. 76Highboy

So, through apples and oranges if I read you correctly, Ruger did not design their new 1911 to restrict firing pin movement upon dropping?

Highboy

11. Twicepop

You're putting words into it, that I didn't.

76Highboy likes this.
  12. 76Highboy

Ha, your awesome Twicepop!!! I get your point and it is nice to see someone express a good point and stand their ground.

Thanks for the good back and fourth.

Highboy

P.S. I still think the Ruger titanium firing pin is an apple. Possibly of the Bonanza variety. :D

13. Bob Reynolds

Bob Reynolds Member

I bought one too, but had a bad experience with the mag release from the time I took it out of the box, and Taurus customer service was horrible.
    Only offer I got from them was to pay the $50.00 for a return label, or ship it insured overnight, which was also an expensive option.
    Anyone else here experience the mag release falling out of their PT111 G2 ?

carver and drymag like this.
  14. randyj

randyj Active Member

I had a friend who bought one of the Millennium 9mm I believe and it locked up tight on first round fired....slide came about half way back...could not make it move a fraction....he was not happy...lol...

Bob Reynolds likes this.
  15. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

If the rules were the same then as now, the entire country would have gone out of business.
    Then; You have responsibility for yourself.
    Now; Everything can be blamed on someone else.

reflex1 and Bob Reynolds like this.