The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
@TRAP55 sent me this barrel, will be a nice addition to the gaggle of TC barrels I have going which I shared this last March. Going to take it out for a test fire this week and excited to see how this goes. Should be one heck of a whitetail/hog gun. Also if any of you have ever owned one I’d appreciate your thoughts on loads. I have a TC section in one of my reloading manuals but it’s always nice to start with a little direction. Now for your viewing pleasure……😁
Gesture Air gun Shotgun Trigger Wood

And here are the others (44 Mag, 357 Max, 22LR Match and a 222 Remington Hex)
Musical instrument Wood Reed Folk instrument String instrument

·
Super Moderator
47,454 Posts
Nice! Dave is one of the most generous people who I have (never) met. He sent me a scope mount and set of rings for my M1A, I just have to find the right scope that is worthy of a fine gift.

I used to have about a dozen different barrels for my Contender, I sold them all off since I had other guns in the calibers I had. I am down to .22 Magnum and 5.7X28 barrels.

·
Premium Member
13,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes he is. Gave me a great deal and then tossed in the scope. 😁😁😁
I have a bunch of 150G JSPs loaded with 28 grains of Accurate 2015 which I’m guessing will be just fine for testing. May be a bit of a fireball but for a function test it’ll be A Okay.

·
Administrator
14,298 Posts
@TRAP55 sent me this barrel, will be a nice addition to the gaggle of TC barrels I have going which I shared this last March. Going to take it out for a test fire this week and excited to see how this goes. Should be one heck of a whitetail/hog gun. Also if any of you have ever owned one I’d appreciate your thoughts on loads. I have a TC section in one of my reloading manuals but it’s always nice to start with a little direction. Now for your viewing pleasure……😁 View attachment 286287
And here are the others (44 Mag, 357 Max, 22LR Match and a 222 Remington Hex) View attachment 286288
Very nice! I can't help on loads but I have 14" 223 Remington that shoots great at a hundred yards.

BTW, a great line up!

·
Premium Member
13,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! Couple of great guys there!

Mark, that's the 222 your Dad shot that gnat sized group with, isn't it?
Boy, you have a good rememberer. He also gave me the mould he cast those bullets with. Nice that he did all the work for me. 😬

·
Registered
186 Posts
T/C considered offering barrels in .30-30 but decided not to for a number of years. Their testing, and that of popular gunwriter Bob Milek, determined the cartridge was too inefficient in a 10" barrel. Wanting comparable ballistics, Milek and his friend Steve Herrett (of stock-making fame), developed the .30 Herrett to achieve comparable but more efficient performance. Which it did. While case-forming is not particularly difficult it is rather tedious (yeah, I did it for years), and a lot of people didn't want to bother. They convinced T/C they preferred convenience over efficiency. That and the ready acceptance of the 14" barrel caused T/C to reconsider. It became a good seller for those wanting a combination hunting and metallic silhouette barrel (a popular shooting sport at the time).

·
Premium Member
13,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Much thanks @Venom6

Now I’m wondering if a heavier cast bullet using something like Unique or SR4759 might not be a better choice. 🤔🤔🤔

·
Premium Member
13,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’ll let ya know but I think I’m good. Thanks my friend.

Reactions: tedwitt
1 - 18 of 18 Posts