The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took the afternoon off yesterday, loaded up my truck and headed for the range. This time I carried my old single shot 20ga shotgun that just happens to be my first gun. It belonged to my grandfather and was given to me by my dad when I was 9 years old. I had not shot this gun in at least 30 years until yesterday. Brought back some great memorys. I'm gonna try to restore it, and give it a new lease on life, and one day it will belong to my grandson.
If you are lucky enough to still have your first gun, take some pics or a video of it, but even if you don't, I would love to hear about it.
Thanks for lookin,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXW7qZG_13U

Donnie D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Dont have it any more but the first was a Winchester mod 42, 410 pump. I remember the first time my dad took me dove hunting with it. One of his hunting buddies laughed about him teaching me to hunt with a .410 full choke. Of course, he was right in the end, however, my dad had the first laugh after I downed my first two birds. I never hit another the rest of the day.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool. Love to hear everyones stories. I really meant for my title to be "Show us your first gun". So, don't limit it to shotguns, tell us or show us your first gun of any kind.
Thanks,
Donnie D

·
Super Moderator
41,422 Posts
My first shotgun was a Marlin Model 55 with a three round removable magazine and variable choke. I remember the first time I fired it - we lived in Woodlawn, TN, my father made me back up to a fence post so the recoil would not knock me down. I was probably 8 or 9 years old at the time and I still have that old relic but seem to have lost the magazine.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
My first shot gun was a Long Tom, 36" barrel. Mom gave it to me for Christmas in '61. I had just turned 13. I saw many people shoot this gun, and it kicked everyone down at one time or another!

·
Registered
2 Posts
mine was a stevens 15a 22 i can still see me and my dad and brother shooting cans with it i still have it and still shoot it as much as i can

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Winchester Model 37A in 12ga. Hunted with it starting out at about 10yrs old and it was mine when I was 14. Killed alot of tree rats and rabbits with the gun.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
My first shotgun was not much. Dad bought me a Mossberg 20ga when I was 7 years old. I killed 100s of dove and quail with it over the 2 years that I had it. When it came time for dove season the 3rd year Dad opened up the safe and told me to get my shotgun so we could go. I looked for it but it was not their. I asked Dad where it was and he replied that he had given it away. I about $hit!!! He then looked at me and grinned and pulled out his Winchester 101 20ga. He had just bought a new 101 Pigeon Grade 20ga and passed his field grade down to me. That was in 1980 and I still have that 101. When he passed away I wanted to keep the Pigeon Grade but decided to give it to my sister.

·
Premium Member
8,018 Posts
When I was 11 or 12 my Dad bought a Mossberg bolt action 410 for 20 bucks so I could go along duck hunting. Used it on my first real deer hunting season too with slugs. Don't think I ever shot anything with it. (Nobody told me you had to put the bead down on the barrel.) ;) I shot 5 times over the backs of some does. I'm sure I at least scared them. No one thought it was me shooting though. They were sure it was somebody with a semi auto. (and I had to reload) :) With 5 brothers I have no idea where it is now.

The only one I have kept from the family collection is a VERY old 94 in 30-30 that I started using my second deer season and for about 50 years after. Still my favorite gun.

·
Premium Member
9,885 Posts
Bolt action .410. Mossberg I think.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
It was and still is an Iver Johnson Champion 16 ga., I still have it after all these years. I was about 11 or 12 when I got it for Christmas one year. I had never shot a shot gun before this time. I was just comming to the age of knowing everything, and was sure I could beat the effects of recoil. In my infinate wisdom (at the time) held the gun out about 4 inches or so from my shoulder, and touched it off. After the second time of doing this I wasn't feeling qiute as smart as before the first time. I turned around to see both of my older brothers and Dad standing there with big grins, and a looks of "can we be related to anyone this stupid" on their faces. I asked, "is it supposed to kick that much?" and my brother said, you dumba**, put it up to your shoulder and it won't kick the snot out of you. I learned a valuable lesson that day, and that old gun accounted for a lot of rabbits and a few pheasants over the years.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Iver Johnson Champion .410 when I was 12 moved up from there to a 12 ga Browning A-5

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
My first one I just bought a few months ago...an Interstate Arms Hawk 12 gauge pump action, an 870 clone that I'm really enjoying shooting.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Single shot H&R 20 gauge. My uncle carved new stocks when the originals got wet and rotted, before I was born. Weighed about 3 lbs and would leave a wicked bruise if you didn't seat it right.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My first: Winchester mod. 37 410 in 28" full choke a true squirrel machine an one of the best single brls ever made.............Redworm...........

1 - 20 of 31 Posts