Terrible Ammo!

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by deingy, Apr 14, 2018.

1. deingy

deingy Well-Known Member

This isn't new news to those who have tried out the cheap 22 Jr ammo out of Russia. In the late 90s a group of us at work, who needed adult supervision, purchased 10,000 round of this stuff at a very good price. I placed the order and when one guy backed out I ended up with 4000. Waterproof packaging. How could we go wrong? They feel like you are handling candles, they gum up any and all autoloaders, they won't extract, they fire but the sounds are all over the place, and accuracy is unknown due to not getting 3 in a row to fire. Whoever makes this stuff had to be trained by Murphy himself.
    I renewed my State range pass this week and tried once again to shoot some of this stuff up.
    Heritage SSA and a Browning Challenger II that I had added a ghost ring rear sight. Good ammo shot flawless. 22Jr was still terrible. I had even rinsed these in kerosene to reduce the goo. No FTF but everything else. I give up. My inventory says there is still over 2000 left and I'm going to sell them cheap for collector ammo as "THE WORST AMMO IN THE WORLD". IMG_0051.JPG

joe45c and rawright54 like this.
  2. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have seen that ammo for sale at older local gun shops, at below rock bottom prices. Seems nobody was buying it by the amount of dust on the boxes.

shootbrownelk, joe45c and drymag like this.

3. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thats awful. Thanks for the heads up.

joe45c and drymag like this.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Thirty or forty years ago, I bought some sort of Russian .22 LR ammo. It must have been Junior's Daddy!! I do not remember the name of it but it sounds like Jr took after his daddy, it was some sorry stuff. It came in bundles of 50 but had no box, it was wrapped in "wax paper". I bought a brick of it and it probably took me 20 years to shoot the stuff up.

shootbrownelk likes this.
  5. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

Never have seen any for sale, But thanks for the heads up in case i do.

6. Larry Isaacs

Larry Isaacs Well-Known Member

I thought ThunderBolt was bad, guess it comes in second place.

Larry

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  7. larry44

larry44 Active Member

worse than thunderbolt?, OMG! (shame on Remington for making/selling that stuff!).

8. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Well-Known Member

Take it to the range. If a family is there with a kid or two shooting, gift it to them. The kids will have fun burning through it.

9. deingy

deingy Well-Known Member

If I gave it away people would think they were getting something worthwhile and then curse me when they tried to use it. A thought. Take them to the bad side of town and leave them on the tailgate. I'll either save some lives or cost whoever takes them theirs.

The more I think about this idea the less I like it.

10. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

It's that damned Putin...trying to get even with America.

11. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

Several people have told me that the Thunderbolt stuff is the most accurate in their Polish WZ-48 trainers, so I ended up buying a brick of it from Academy to try in it. $18 and change, can't complain as it's only going to be used in that rifle, IF it performs as they say it does in theirs.

12. Larry Isaacs

Larry Isaacs Well-Known Member

If you have not tried it yet, good luck, maybe the new stuff is better.
    I gave three bricks away, although the people thanked me at the time, no one has asked for more.

Larry

mogunner likes this.
  13. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

I've shot it before and like some have said, the reports varied so widely that you knew the powder charges had to be all over the place. Weather is changing for the warmer tomorrow it looks like so hopefully can get out and do some tests. I've got a wide number of different manufacturers of .22 in stock so I should be able to figure something out!

14. bumblebee

bumblebee Well-Known Member

I don't look at any Russian Ammo. I bought Tula once for my 9mm Glocks and even my tupperware guns didn't like it