Terrorism at home!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Crazyboy23
    (3/7/03 10:01:27 am)
    Reply Terrorism at home!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am in Odessa/Midland Tx. Last night I went to a speech on terrorism, there were 5 experts there. 1 CIA, 1 FBI, 1 Military Counter Intel, and 2 college profesors. I learned alot there, the most interesting thing that I learned is the fact that we are #3 on the most likley targets to get hit by terrorism list. One of these guys let it slip, then tried to cover it up but we all heard it. They said that not only do we have 6 different production plants here but because we are the home town of Goerge W. Bush, and his family still lives here. This is a very scary/interesting thing to know. We always have F-16's flying over, and lately I have seen I rise in national guard movement (I figure the N G movement is because of Iraq)
    I just wanted to share this with everyone. We have an evacuation plan and supplies packed (food, water, ammo, guns among other things)

I knew something was going on around here, it is normally quit, (we are in west texas). At least I know what now.

I know this is kinda off track but, I asked both the FBI, and CIA men what they carried for there personal firearm. Both told my they used to carry the glock 17, but they have switched to the Springfield XD-9. Which is what I carry so that is kinda cool!

Edited by: Crazyboy23 at: 3/7/03 10:07:24 am

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/7/03 10:12:59 am)
    Reply | Edit
    Re: Terrorism at home!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'd have to disagree. Your area might be a nice juicy military target, but not a terrorist target. Terrorism is aimed at scaring people, not affecting production. The wacko Islamic terrorists are still more interested in killing the most people that they can with one attack. This means they will concentrate on population centers.

Plus, they can blend in better in large cities. I lived for many years in West Texas (San Angelo), and I have to say that they would draw a lot of attention out there. A terrorist attack would probably kill more sheep than people, and wouldn't be worth the effort.

It's good, however, that you have a plan ready and you are taking it seriously. But honestly, in your area I'd be more concerned with being hit by a nuke from North Korea than being attacked by terrorists. After all, if it came to a fight with NK, they will be after military targets.

This is all, of course, my opinion. I ain't a terrorist expert by any means. I'd be very interested to find out how they came to the conclusion that your area was #3 in the nation.
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

Chas
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/7/03 11:10:14 am)
    Reply hometown
    Sniper..."because we are the home town of Goerge W. Bush, and his family still lives here."

Good analysis of military vs civilian targets. Americans are having a hard time w/this transition (I think).

I suspect that if the terrorists thought they could get a couple thousand civilians and include some of the Bush family...that would be a worthwhile strike...but I don't know.

We can also see that they are not without symbolism when they strike...American and United airlines...World Trade Towers. There probably wouldn't have been too many lives lost if a plane would've hit the White House...but the symbolic value would have been enormous. Terror seems to include both civilian and institutional or symbolic losses (like the Pentagon). For this reason it's hard to rule out anything.

Chuck

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/7/03 11:17:45 am)
    Re: hometown
    Chas I believe you are correct, since Hussain figures both can play the same game. You have to figure the last Gulf War we openly tried to kill him so I wouldn't put it past him to try the unexpected.
    cointoss2

Crazyboy23
    (3/7/03 11:47:55 am)
    Reply Re: hometown
    We asked them how they determined that, and they pretty much just rolled around that question and blew us off. But they did say that mostly because we are the hometown of the president, and have several chemical plants. Although plants dot the nation, the majority of petrochemical research and production is concentrated along the Texas Gulf Coast and the Permian Basin (Odessa/Midland). DuPont, Monsanto, Union Carbide, Dow, Texaco and Shell all boast major plants here. They also told us it would be a 2 for 1 hit if they did it. They told me that with the way the wind blows here, and a lack of a tained biochemical response team (training them now, if an attack came the response team would come from FT HOOD), that if they hit the right plant under the right conditions, many thousands of people could possibly die. H2S is a dangerous gas that comes from wells and is disposed of by these huge stacks that are burning. We call these torches, one plant we have has around 30 of these, any time a torch goes out, or the have a H2s leak, they evacuate the whole southern part of Odessa. We once had a torch go out and it killed 6 people before they could evacuate. I would hate to see what would happen it all the flames were to go out at once, and the wind was blowing towards town. Home grown human pesticide. With H2s it smell like rotten eggs, and it is likley that one big wiff you will pass out, if now one is there to get you to fresh are and you continue to breath it you will die. I am not say all Arab speaking people are terrorist's but within the last 6 monthe the arab population here has doubled if not tripled. They have a large complex about 35 miles south of Midland. There has also been alot Pro Muslum documention spreading around. This is definetly the wrong place to be spreading this because the people around here are pretty set in there ways, and most have short fuses. I knew in the case of a nucluer war we would be a top target, because there is a large fuel processing plant, and a storage facility close by. I am not real worried about this, but I am not blowing it off either. It is not going to change my life but I am getting prepared. Just in case.

Hey 1952Sniper, how long did you live in San Angelo. My wife is from there.

Edited by: Crazyboy23 at: 3/7/03 12:08:37 pm

Crazyboy23
    (3/7/03 12:21:42 pm)
    I also ment to say that this was not determined off of population, but off hurting the oil Industry and the economy. For some reason the terrorist seem to think that the only reason we are going attack Iraq is for ther oil, so they want to hurt our oil industry, and they also blame the whole Bush family. I am not an expert, but if you think about this we are a target, maybe not #3, but a target none the less. I believe that the biggest battles of the war on terrorism will be fought on American soil.

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/7/03 12:54:47 pm)
    Yes they will try again to bring the fight here, but I believe it will keep reappearing in a different form that we will constantly have to be on our toes against. Can we continue, just look how people have waffled since 9/11.
    cointoss2

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/7/03 1:19:38 pm)
    Reply | Edit
    Well I certainly see your point, Crazyboy23. I guess if we all look hard enough, we can find reasons for terrorists to target our own towns. (except for me, of course; ain't nothing in Bandera worth bombing except a few cowboy bars and dude ranches)

I also spent a few years in the petrochem industry in and around Houston. Deer Park does have a lot of chemical plants, and I've been in just about every one of 'em. It is big-time bad news when a flare stack goes out. I once had the misfortune of seeing a 50,000 barrel storage tank of gasoline catch on fire. They evacuated most of Baytown because we had to shut down the flare. But I digress....

I lived in the S'nangelo area (that's how we pronounce it) from about 1979 to 1990, with a stint away in Germany around 1984. My grandparents still live there. I absolutely love West Texas, and plan to go back one day. Folks still have common sense out there.

Crazyboy23
    (3/7/03 1:34:26 pm)
    I also believe that if most of us look for reasons, we will see reasons that we could be the next target. That is what is the most scary, the could hit anywhere at anytime. But personally I think scared of texans. Texans kinda take it personal when they hit us in the back or hurt women and children. Personally I would share my toys with them one bullet at a time.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/7/03 2:02:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit
    LOL that reminds me of another post that came across this board recently. Looky here: pub145.ezboard.com/fthefi...6075.topic

Crazyboy23
    (3/7/03 3:30:41 pm)
    I think that pretty well says it all.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/7/03 4:35:23 pm)
    Born in Hobbs - spent some time in Odessa as a misguided youth in the early 50's. Back then, if a bomb went off, there were simply miles and miles of more miles to let it dissipate. Wouldn't have taken out a whole lot of people and might have improved the odor from all the refineries!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Crazyboy23
    (3/7/03 5:45:02 pm)
    All of the eviromental control people made them improve the oder and polute less, but I think this is a crock because it still smells, and from what I can tell it is still poluting. But they have build residental housing around these plants so that would be bad. I was told along time ago that if the spiral storage takes go off in one of the tank batteries at these plants that it would cause a chain reaction with the force of a small atomic bomb. This was when I was in High School back in the late 90's. The person that told me this was my chemistry teacher. He might have been Full of $hit.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/7/03 5:56:15 pm)
    Reply | Edit
    Having worked in much bigger facilities, I can honestly say that a chain reaction is not only possible, but probable.

However, the "small atomic bomb" thing is just nonsense. When a refinery catches fire, the whole thing doesn't explode like in a Hollywood movie. Certain parts may explode, but it is a long process. The explosions do not multiply upon each other. I think your chemistry teacher was being a bit melodramatic.

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/7/03 8:15:48 pm)
    I don't know 1952, terrorism is also primarily about making political statements - thus the strikes on Commerce (WTC), Military (Pentagon) and the downed plane reportedly heading for Congress/White House. I can see the Bush family being on some terrorist group's list of high-profile targets.

And similar examples on the news this week - the 'tourist' video tape of an indicted Al Queda member's 'vacation', with extensive footage of NY / WTC, and the Golden Gate bridge, and Disneyland. Lots of prime symbols of the USA.

True terror acts can be like those happening in Japan's subway systems - nerve gas and fire used on everyday commuters. Or repeatedly on busloads of people in Israel.

Rich

jzdziarski
    (3/9/03 7:12:36 pm)
    I thought the FBI and CIA all used Sig's... ?

Crazyboy23
    (3/10/03 9:41:19 am)
    Reply Re: Terrorism at home!
    They did not say that they used them for there work weapon, but the did say that for there own personal carry gun away from work. I also thought he was ful of crap about the atomic bomb thery.

jzdziarski
    (3/10/03 9:58:04 am)
    Are you sure these guys were real FBI and CIA agents? Next time look for a paper hat tucked away somewhere with a big yellow 'M' on it.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/10/03 10:20:45 am)
    Re: Terrorism at home!
    I would think the presidents family would be a juicy target for terrorists.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/10/03 5:54:11 pm)
    XD-9.......yeah sure-----better put a lie detector on them.....or check their paycheck amount.....LMAO!!!!

LTS

Predator Ridge
    (3/10/03 6:15:12 pm)
    "Let ball and grapeshot fly , trust in God and Davis and keep your powder dry"

jp58c
    (3/10/03 8:05:32 pm)
    Hi just to help out,,,the secreret service carries the sig on/off only authorized,,if they get in a pistolero dueling competition they can get in trouble for not using an armorer certified sidearm onto terrorism,,,most are probably ignorant of the Isle's troubles,,,,Lord Montbatten thought HE was safe.Targets of opertunity abound,people have habits some hard to break,,,people also tend to have routines,even if unobvious.When we first started keeping track of terrorist,we started noticing that the red brigade,IRA/INLA,black september/bader meinhof ect ect ectr were assisting each other in both training and missions
    THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FUNDAMENTAL TERRORIST AND EXTREMIST(JIHADIST) Beware of ALL
    And study learn and above all REMEMBER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.