Testing .22LR Ammo which type?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by EdP, May 16, 2018.

1. EdP

EdP Member

The mail man showed up today with some new ammo for my CZ 452 testing. I have been reading for about two months on what type of ammo to use and decided, as everyone said, to test the stuff in my own rifle. Each rifle is different, they say!!;)
    I think I will try two rounds of five on each of the types. Then take a good look and continue on the better groups. I will sight in with the SK Standard to test with at 50 yards. Now I need a day that I know the wind will not interrupt the test.. that could be a while in SD!!
    This is what I'm testing:
    SK Standard
    Sk Pistol match
    SK Rifle match
    Wolf Match Extra
    Wolf Match Target
    Aguila Super Extra
    Geco Match
    CCI Green Tag
    Winchester M 22
    Remington Thunderbolt
    Winchester Super X 36 gr 1280 fps
    CCI Blazer
    [​IMG]
    While I was digging around in the basement Ammo boxes I found these old 22LR shells, the one Coast to Coast was marked .89 cents per 100. :D
    The CCI was newer.
    [​IMG]

On the above 12 types, which one do U think will group the best??
    I Hope it is a Cheep one :rolleyes:

2. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm not even going to try to guess which one will group best.

One thng for sure...you are in for one fun day of shooting!!

Hopefully the ideal ammo will be something you can still get!!

lcn, drymag, jsjj388 and 1 other person like this.

3. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

SK Standard plus and Wolf Match Target are the same ammo, just in different packages. If you can safely get the lead out of the brass on the Remington Thunderbolts and melt it down it makes some great fishing weights. Subsonic ammo will usually group better than the faster stuff. You will just have to see what your particular rifle likes.

lcn, drymag, flboots and 3 others like this.
  4. EdP

EdP Member

Bamajoey Thanks for the info because the SK Standard was a little less in cost!!

5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Well-Known Member

I’ll wager a guess, I think you’ll find the Wolf Ex and Target both to give great results. SK rifle should be excellent. The last 4 I predict the worst results. Any Remington 22 I have ever shot has been like shooting blind, just pray and spray. I despise Rem 22 ammo.

drymag, BlackEagle and joe45c like this.
  6. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

I guessing the Wolf Match Target also. I have never shot any but have always heard great things about it. Agree the Remington will be just about the worse. I have shot lots of that with not the best results! Have lots of fun!:)

drymag and BlackEagle like this.
  7. jonb32248

jonb32248 Well-Known Member

CCI should be fair to good. And did you have to remortgage the house?

drymag, joe45c and BlackEagle like this.
  8. EdP

EdP Member

jonb32248, no new mortgage yet but, the credit card bill has not shown up in the wife's hand yet, I may be grounded to this old house for while :D

BlackEagle, drymag, flboots and 2 others like this.
  9. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

You just can't tell what your .22 is going to like until you try them. Got one rifle that likes only CCI Tactical. Another likes CCI 40 grain standard velocity, while another exact same type rifle (10-22) likes the high velocity ammo. An OLD Ruger Standard Model .22 loves Remington Yellow Jackets. Go figure.o_O

BlackEagle, drymag and joe45c like this.
  10. EdP

EdP Member

What's U think if I shoot a 10 round mag and then shoot the two 5 rounds or three targets? then switch to another type?? I do want to get a good test so I can give the bad ammo to my daughter for her M&P 22. Or should I do something different? Let me know?

drymag and joe45c like this.
  11. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

You won't know until you SLOW FIRE at least a full-box at a fixed target from a good bench rest.

I've seen people waste their time and money by going out to a 'shooting area', firing from an unsupported shooting position at tin cans or trash **while trying to determine the best ammo or sights**. This type of shooting is fun - but proves absolutely nothing other than if the weapon functions/cycles with that ammo.

You want to truly test for the best ammo? take your time and do it right. Fire your ammo as in the first paragraph, fire all of it slowly and mark the results and compare your targets when you are done.

bamajoey, BlackEagle, drymag and 2 others like this.
  12. EdP

EdP Member

Jim This is how I will test the ammo, lead sled holds the little .22 just fine. And time is all I have, being retired :)
    this where I shot most of the time, all by my self in the beautiful Blackhills :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    joe45c, lcn, jim brady and 3 others like this.
  13. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This. It looks like you have the right idea with your lead sled.

What about a magazine of 10 of each kind on it's own target, then a second run through, again on separate targets. That way, if barrel conditions change (it heats up, gets a little dirty) you can see which ammo groups more consistantly. I tried something like that when working up my pet load for my .223.

joe45c, jim brady and drymag like this.
  14. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

When I was looking for the most accurate ammo for my guns chamber, I took a once fired 223 case and removed the primer. Then made the mouth just wide enough to accommodate a 22LR cartridge except for the rim. Then zeroed my calipers on the full length of the case. Dropped in my 22LR cartridge and remeasured. I began to make 22LR piles out of those separate lengths. Then shot to find the best of those piles. This works well but is a lot of work. Especially when a particular manufactures ammo does not work well for my chamber.
    -
    So then I decided on shooting 50 per box at one target. Then get another target and shoot 50 of a different manufactured ammo. This went on thru the various boxes I had. Then looking at all the targets, you see a shotgun patterns more/less, but with a larger worn out center. The target with the best, closest worn out center was selected as the best ammo for my chamber. Then for the best ammo I went thru the 223 exercise of selecting the piles for "that" ammo and shot those with a target for each pile and ended up with decent groups and eliminating a bunch of those fliers.
    -
    After that, I skipped the above all together and just shoot and not worry about anything outside the expected results. When I decide on shooting for accuracy, I can by X ammo and sort out to the chosen rim thickness discovered thru the above processes.

joe45c, EdP, ral357 and 1 other person like this.
  15. EdP

EdP Member

I'm going to clean then fire a 10 mag and then 2 five mag's, clean try a different type and proceed thru all of them and choose the best five and clean shoot 20 then 30 and clean and try the other 4 to see which two are the best. After that I can look at the cost per round and results and decide what is best for me and my pocket book:) Thanks for all the help

drymag, joe45c and BlackEagle like this.