The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have read so much info in the past couple weeks about reloading that i think im going crazy!
does this sound right? i may have read it here or on another forum but a good way to see what your gun "likes" is by making a few rounds 5-10 and working up the grain.
Math ---> (Start grain + Max)/4 = the amount of grain to add from start grain and work your way up

so all in all i will have around 5-10 rnds of each sample all the way up to the max
20-40 rnds

oh, this is a method of making sure you dont make thousands of rounds of the same and having a gun that doesnt like the round.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I would use a ladder test to determine what the firearm likes. You only load 20 rounds and if you shoot carefully youll have a sweet load by the time youre done. Then just go back to your press and load a bunch of that sweet shootn load.

·
Registered
61 Posts
(Start + max)/4 is the equation? Sounds stupid to me. How about this: start at the minimum, make ten rounds. Move up a logical amount, depending on the spread between start and max grains (i.e if min is 5.0 and max is 7.0, move up 0.2 gr), make another ten rounds. Keep doing this, and if you find one that you think your gun likes, make another ten or twenty rounds to make sure.

You don't have to make a thousand rounds to find something that your gun likes.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Easy poser. He's brand new at this. Im fairly certain you weren't born with reloading knowledge and skill and Im sure you asked questions along the way as well that other, more seasoned reloaders might have thought were stupid. Such criticism could be enough to discourage one venturing into the unknown from learning to reload properly and enjoying the great hobby.

Were here to help, not discourage.

Reactions: vizslas 1

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I agree with Josh that a ladder test is a very good way to find possibly the best load for your particular gun.

As for an equation to find the step distance between your test charge weights...
Someone might have developed the math that you posted and it works for them. And going by poser's reply, it might sound silly to others. Everyone does wind up developing their own personal routine that works for them.
If you follow the ladder test process as linked above, that process gives you the step levels you need to get a good through test.

When I started reloading, I knew nothing about a ladder test and the "old guys" that mentored me taught me to use the data from the manual, starting at the minimums and work up in half steps of whatever the manual had listed for velocity/charge breakpoints (usually 25fps for pistol cartridges and 50fps for rifle cartridges...depending on how the manual data was listed). Making a small batch 3 to 5 rounds of each charge weight.
I made a lot of ammo while developing loads using this "5 at a time" process. Once you get the ladder test system figured out, it will save you quite a few of those initial test batches and you can narrow down the number of possible good loads to do further testing on.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
The OCW method linked above by steve is an in depth ladder type test. Not only does it exploit specific accuracy nodes but it tests them thoroughly as you fire the test. The OCW method is probably the best and most methodical of all load development methods. Though I would consider it to be a little overwhelming for a beginning reloader.

Either way you choose to do it, were here to help if you need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts