The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
*VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*
26,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much like the law of a few years back...the degree of the dark film covering motor vehicle windows...maybe a good idea, but unenforcible. The confusion caused by certain city bans and not a statewide law...it just couldn't be a worse law! I don't have a cell phone or does my wife...our kin have them and when you bring this subject up...well, gasoline onto a roaring fire!!! Chief

PHOENIX -
A Triple A study that found 9 out of 10 Arizona of its members want a texting and driving ban, but for the last 6 years, state lawmakers have rejected the bans.

The cities of Phoenix and Tucson have bans on texting and driving, but Arizona is one of about 6 states that does not have a statewide ban -- something Triple A considers the "mother of all distractions."

"I try to drive slow and text. I know it's bad."

Local rapper Uthanasia admits to texting and driving.

"I almost ran into a diesel one time and I think that kind of scared me at one point for about 5 minutes and I went back to texting."

Senator Steve Farley of Tucson says he was the first lawmaker in the country to introduce a texting and driving ban, in 2007. He's introduced a ban every year since.

But texting and driving bans have repeatedly failed in Arizona. Senator Farley blames it on Senate President Andy Biggs.

"He's been the chair of the transportation committee and has been able to kill it by not hearing it in his committee. Now that he's senate president he's been able to kill it by not bringing it to the floor or assigning it to committees as happened this year," says Sen. Steve Farley, D-Tucson.

Senator Biggs wasn't available for an interview. His spokesperson directed us to a speech he made on the senate floor in April where he argued against the ban, saying texting and driving already falls under reckless driving laws.

Biggs also pointed to the city of phoenix texting and driving ban. In Phoenix, texting and driving is a "primary offense" -- meaning officers can stop drivers for doing it.

But according to numbers readily available to us, Phoenix Police wrote an average of just 25 texting and driving citations a year from 2008 to 2010.

"When you talk to police officers this is an absolutely unenforceable idea, but it sure makes lawmakers and policy makers feel good," said Biggs of the proposed ban earlier this year.

Phoenix Police won't comment on Andy Biggs remarks, but we all know an average of 25 citations for texting and driving around here is low. In fact, you could probably count that many people doing it on your commute home.

"I think it definitely could be improved on and I think they need to pay more attention to who's out there," says motorist Shawn Hammon.

In New York, juveniles caught texting and driving can have their licensed suspended from 60 days to 6 months. Uthanasia says that wouldn't stop him.

"Like a bad habit you can't really break a bad habit, it's hard to break like smoking cigarettes, you got to have it. Like texting, I have to have my phone on me," says Uthanasia.

Fines for texting and driving in Phoenix are between $100 and $250. Senator Farley says he plans to introduce another statewide driving and texting ban next session.

Uthanasia suggested instead of suspending licenses, take people's cell phones or somehow block their social networking accounts.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Florida passed and the Governor just signed a texting ban. I am still trying to understand why a new law was needed...wouldn't texting while driving be considered careless or distracted driving?

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Let's pass texting laws, that way when some one dies while texting we can charge them with a misdemeanor crime. Come on folks, people will continue to text, and drive, no matter what laws your state may enact. Unless they simply make cell phones illegal! If they cause an accident where someone else is killed, or injured, the charge should be the same as drunk driving, manslaughter. You can not adjudicate morality. People will do stupid things, because they simply don't think, and no law will make them think! They tried to outlaw alcohol, and drugs, but niether works! Why do they think outlawing texting will make a difference. Either you are smart enough to know it's a bad idea to text and drive, are you ain't!

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
With the technology we have today, I do not believe we could not come up with a simple device that would detect texting going on in any particular vehicle.

·
Registered
479 Posts
As I am out and about it amazes me... Almost every cop and truck driver are talking on their phone while driving

·
*VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*
26,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Land Sakes!! With all of the gizmos and gadgets developed for modern day communication and entertainment, why not have something like an over-ride in the phones where they can't function if the engine is running? Of course, there would be the 'smart-asses' who would circumvent that override, but get busy troops...it can't be that difficult of a thing! Chief

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
was behind a state trooper the other day. As we did 65m.p.h. he was on his computer, and he wasn't running no plates as there were no other vehicles around is for 10 miles down the highway. The wife and I were amazed he was typing on this thing while driving

·
Registered
Pensacola Florida
3,735 Posts
Florida passed and the Governor just signed a texting ban. I am still trying to understand why a new law was needed...wouldn't texting while driving be considered careless or distracted driving?
The only time you would be ticketed is if you are stopped for another infraction such as speeding, running stop sign, running over pedestrian, etc. Something you would never do while texting.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
The only time you would be ticketed is if you are stopped for another infraction such as speeding, running stop sign, running over pedestrian, etc. Something you would never do while texting.:rolleyes:
Wanna bet? They sold the seatbelt law the same way. They promised it would only be a secondary offense...the ink wasn't dry before they started clamoring for it to be primary, and they got it

This won't be any different, they will push for it during the next session of the Legislature

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
They keep passing new and redundant laws all the time to justify their existance in the political scene, and most of them know that the "voting public" isn't paying attention to what they're doing anyway. Think this isn't true, look at what we got in the last four Presidential elections.

·
Premium Member
19,871 Posts
I used to drive my work van with my laptop and an aircard with internet access, a cell phone and pager. They came out with texting phones and I could eliminate the pager. I would be on the internet for my company's web sites and texting all at 70 mph.

I was the highest rated tech in the central region. I gave it up. I would rather stay alive and not do this. I was endangering my life and anyone I hit. Not worth it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts