TFF's History for newbies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ysacres, May 20, 2017.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Here is a short summary of the early history of thefirearmsforum.com (TFF).
    The year was 2,000
    On another firearms related website we use to call Brand X, the chat forum was filled with backstabbing, flaming, bashing, swearing, etc. The spineless moderator there had no control over what was going on in the buy, sale, trade forum, or what was being said by the members in the chat room. It was total chaos.

Tac401 (founder of TFF) shooter45 and a few others had the misfortune of dealing with a bad apple who stole from them (transaction gone bad) when they brought this to the attention of the moderator, he then tried to save face and his job by labeling them "Miscreants" and banded them from Brand X. That moderator had just alienated a whole bunch of "good" members and was left holding the trash bag.

The Miscreants needed to find or create new website for chat. tac401 (RIP) got thefirearmsforum.com up and running in no time, with his own set of strict rules that is more conductive to good behavior and politeness. NO swearing, bashing, backstabbing, etc..

After that, the moderator at brand X would delete any post that had the word "firearms" In it, apparently thinking the word "Firearms" (code word) would lead what was left of his members over to TFF. This became very frustrating , after all what's up with a gun site where you can't type the topic title. I posted many ingenious threads :cool: just to see them go poof within seconds. :mad:

A few days later, i got an e-mail from 280freak in ND, telling me about the new site the Miscreants had created (TFF) and everything that was happening over at Brand X, before I left that chat room, I messed with the mod there by spelling "firearms" wrong :p, (HUH) sweet revenge...his binary code was broken by a couple of "dirt farmers". I registered at TFF as member # 19 and ever since avoided that chat room like the plague.

In 2002 Tac401 needed to switch over from Easy board. I volunteered as a few others did to Copy / Paste every post to a new server. It took many hours of late night work. The whole winter of 02 was spent pasting post's, A job I didn't mind doing, because I was very bitter and wanted a better place where we could just all get along and my post's would not be deleted, less I swear or belittle other members.
    Since then Brand X (*************) has new ownership, and I give them the "benefit of the doubt" But I'm so deeply scared I will never enter that chat room "EVER"

In a nutshell, TFF was started by a thief and a mod who wouldn't do anything about it. The moderators here at TFF do a great job of controlling any situation that occurs, my hats off to them. So kick back and enjoy this family oriented PG site where you can ask almost anything and someone will be along to give you a professional answer.

Wiseacres.
    President: TFF witness protection program, and forum historian.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  2. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

I didn't know GB had a chat room nor do I plan on joining it now that I do.

Kudo's and hats off to Tac and Shooter for starting and, probably more difficult and important, maintaining a fine web site. It's good to be at a place where God and topics about Him and Christianity are welcome, profanity isn't the normal course of conversation, people can disagree without being disagreeable and there is lots of knowledgeable guys on board. I'm grateful, thanks to all of you who had a hand in it.

Aspeck, Guts3d, tedwitt and 15 others like this.

3. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks to all who helped create TFF.The friends I have here at TFF have become part of my life now. Again your work is greatly appreciated. Joe

4. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

TFF is the ONLY place I go.
    TFF is the ONLY place I try to help as much as I can.
    TFF is the ONLY place that I have made good friends.
    TFF is the ONLY place I plan on Hanging around. (As long as TFF can put up with me )
    THANKS to all that made TFF possible.
    Mike

jbmid1, jim brady, tedwitt and 21 others like this.
  5. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My thanks to the guys that started this great forum and to those that have worked so long to keep it such a great place. And I thank the members that try to maintain the civility and friendly environment.

jim brady, tedwitt, drymag and 13 others like this.
  6. ysacres

At the bottom of GB home page "Related sites" = forums...(DONT GO THERE) ;)

drymag, nmckenzie, TN Outlaw and 8 others like this.
  7. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

TFF has been a really good forum, especially to me. I tried many other forums before finding TFF, and am still a member of all of them, but never even read third posts. TFF is where I hang and will until I die.
    Great job of building and maintaining a wonderful forum..
    GOD BLESS ALL THAT HAD A HAND IN MAKING IT WORK..
    I could go on and on about how much I love TFF, and how thankful I am of the mods..
    KODOS to all.

8. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Didn't know and still don't care to know.

I like it here even though we have Howlnmad and Goofy. Shooter45 is nice, mainly because he hasn't banned me...yet.

Truthfully though, I get along better with you guys than my own family. I've been on other gun forums but they didn't care to waste time on a guy who has Ed Brown tastes on a High Point budget.

There's guy's here I would bend over backwards for. If anyone wants a shirt, I'll give you mine

9. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks for the summary, ysacres.

I agree with the above statements. Guys here are great.

10. Rewind

Rewind Well-Known Member

Well I'm a new kid on the block and glad I found this place. This is my first firearms forum, but I am a member of many other types of forums. I've even helped start a few and been a member of ones that suffered as described above. Cudos to the ones that created TTF and work to keep it going. Thank you for creating a civil place to discuss this sport we are privileged to enjoy in the U.S.

drymag, nmckenzie, TN Outlaw and 11 others like this.
  11. jwdurf

jwdurf Well-Known Member

I always like hearing more about the history, thanks ysacres.

This is the only forum I belong to. I'm not much for social media, don't do Facebook, have a twitter account but just read news stories there.

You all made me feel welcome from the start, and I have made a lot of great friends here. The mods do a great job and the active members are great. I look forward to coming here and chatting with everyone every day.

jim brady, drymag, nmckenzie and 11 others like this.
  12. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Moderator Supporting Member

Those early days were rough. A lot of members and moderators went over the damn defying JD's and Sam's rules.

jim brady, drymag, nmckenzie and 6 others like this.
  13. ysacres

Aint dat du truth, I remember the day we had a party for the 500th member, before the pump house was even built, can't remember who it was, "don't mater", gone now. That was a slow process getting to that point, then on Sept 4th 1998 here comes google and everyone with an inquiry about how to reassemble their Ruger mark II gets directed to TFF, Loves it and stays.

jwdurf, drymag, nmckenzie and 5 others like this.
  14. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The first Firearms forum I joined sounds exactly like the Brand X described, After 2 days of confusing information and back Stabbing I looked for something different, did a google search on "Reloading Forums" the first on the list was TFF. I opened it up and was extremely pleased with what I found. While I dumped the other forum completely, I joined TFF officially. Since then I found one other Firearms related site that I use as well, But that one is Strictly Relate to Mil Surp Weapons. Surprise surprise, it is very similar to TFF with a few small difference, Same Family Friendly rules, Language, Bashing, and in-neighborly Conduct are not allowed. TFF has definitely Spoiled me thank you very much for the positive experience I have found.

BTW TFF is my Browser Home Page on both my Desktop and my Laptop computers.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2017
    jim brady, jwdurf, drymag and 8 others like this.
  15. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

500th member was :
    Kevin Haas
    *TFF 500th Member*

Then faded away.