"That Guy" was at the range yesterday

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hkruss, Apr 26, 2009.

1. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

You know the one. The guy who has a little knowledge of guns, ammo and tactics, who HAS to share his vast wealth of knowledge with someone new to the sport,(whether they want it or not!). He can't answer a simple question with a simple answer. He has to give a full five minute discourse on whatever the question is, where a 30 second answer would suffice. And he HAS to talk at twice the normal volume so everyone can hear how very knowledgeable he is!
    This tool was at the range yesterday tormenting some elderly couple who asked him a couple of simple questions. I think part of it was, he was trying to impress two little hotties who were at the next station shooting. (With NO luck I might add!)
    I'm all for learning from someone more knowledgeable than myself, (which is most people), but it has been my experience that the true Pro's aren't trying to impress anyone, but rather give concise answers with the quiet confidence of knowing their craft. Not like this guy.

I hate "That Guy".

Rant off

2. artabr

artabr New Member

I hear you. I've seen my share of the type. Ear plugs are a blessing. I'll call "range hot" if possable and go back to shooting.
    Nothing wrong with being helpful, and we should go out of our way to help new shooters, but there's a limit to everything.

Art

3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I have found two things in life that attracts the 'experts', one is firearms and the other motorcycles.

With firearms I am like you, try to ignore. If it gets too much I will ask simple questions, aimed to trip them up. Effective range of their handgun, what sort of distance can they make hits at? They exaggerate, you call, 'That's good shooting, please show me how its done' Chances are they cant stay on the paper at 25 yds.

There are lots of ways to trip up bluffers, thats just one. :)

Take care though, I once called a bluff, all be it with humour, and he turned out to be a top Royal Marine sniper, 100% guaranteed to know his job.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2009
  4. JetGirl

JetGirl Member

"That guy" is even worse if you're a chick type.:rolleyes:

5. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

That is the reason why i hardly go to the range anymore. i just wait to go to the ranch in tx. I especially hate it if you have an "nice" piece and he makes a big deal over it in front of eveybody.

6. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member

Every Range has at least one. It may be required for licensure. :D

7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

That is just one of the reasons I usually go to the range on a Monday morning (when most people are working), I really don't like being bothered by the "expert" type.

8. cec

cec New Member

I have run into "that guy" a few times. I usually just ignore, maybe a smile if I think it is fun and not dangerous.

The only exception was recently. For a variety of reasons I had not been the to the range for a couple of months. I was taking it easy as I tried to get back into the groove. I also didn't want to waste hard to find/expensive ammo just to make a boom noise.

Anyway that guy was there with a woman he is trying to impress. His shooting style was to run out the target, shoot fast, then claim the scatter pattern was normal. In fact he stated in a loud voice "The guy in the next lane is doing it wrong and going too slow. He is accurate, just not fast. You have to fast and not care about accurate, or in a real fight you will be dead."

That set me off. I calmly pushed my target out a few yards, took a breath, and empted my .45 in quick (and safe) manner. He stopped talking and the woman laughed all 8 rounds hit dead center. There was fair bit of luck, I think the gods of the range smiled on me.

9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I just try to keep to myself and have pleasant conversation between shooting sessions with the company that attends with me, I personally find those types hilarious, and cant help but to laugh and snicker when the bull begins to flow out of thier mouths, most people might think im a nut with a loaded gun, but he and I know why I laugh... And believe me, thats ALL that counts...;)

10. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

Adrenaline is a shooting factor alot of experts forget about when they are discussing the fundamentals of shooting. :eek::eek::eek:

11. Deathbunny

Deathbunny Former Guest

A good line to reply to the "speedy-spray-and-pray-shooter" is: "Remember, speed is fine, but accuracy is final." :D

12. artabr

artabr New Member

I'm going to have to file this one away for future use. I like it.

Art

13. TxIronWolf

TxIronWolf New Member

LOL OMG I used to work with That Guy, anything you do he has done it ether better or twice. Shoots nothing but 44 mag "Anything else is just a pop gun".......If you all see him again tell him he still owes Money LOL

14. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

I'd like to add the knife guy too. Ever met him?

I was just asking to look at a pocket knife in the glass case and this 20 year old kid starts giving me his theories on edged weapon combat and philosophy about the best blades for that or this. I held my tongue as long as I could.

When he said something about how much braver you have to be to fight with a knife than a firearm I couldn't hear anymore. I said something to the effect of that I've had erections that have been in more dangerous places and for longer than you ever have or will and if I want advice on knife fighting I'll call Blackwater.

The knife guy. Can't even let you look at a pocket knife in peace.

15. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

Hey Delta, Great reply,wish I had been there to watch his face.Yea we have all seen these people and will always have to attempt to hold our thoughts,To a point. I also like that little saying "Speed is fine but accuracy is final.";) I think I may steal that one for other individuals that I know. Thanks catfish