The 5 Best 9mm Self-defense Loads

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Austin, Jul 17, 2017.

1. TFFAdmin

TFFAdmin Administrator Staff Member

drymag, Broot, jwdurf and 1 other person like this.
  2. mikld

mikld Well-Known Member

Hmmm. My best defensive round is a 250 gr wadcutter loaded hot in my 44 Magnum...

3. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

I have been thinking about going jacketed for carry guns. haven't loaded jacketed bullets in handguns in a lot of years though. Just might though. practice mostly with cast and jacketed for carry.

drymag likes this.
  4. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

Too hard to follow the trends and with ammo changes, that shifts so much so that your best round could be outdated before it may ever bee needed. The absolute best round there is has 12 more following it!

CrookCountyGO and jwdurf like this.
  5. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

The best load per the data may not be the best defensive load for the distance. Used to be you never had to worry about being sniped from a inside mall distance or large theater distance, etc and you could buy the defensive round that had the best expansion, etc and most importantly the neatest packaging. Now if you think you have need for a round that can perform around 25-50 yards away, you can end up w/ several different types if you have several different carry guns as you know that each chamber likes something differnt. So you may end up w/ a poorer performer than the best but it is the most accurate. If you find that to be your case, then you have to decide on the parameters of the handload you are willing to accept for that defensive load. But at least you can practice w/ the exact carry load for cheap. This is ignoring the stories of defensive factory loads in the court room. Hmmmmm, that would be a good question for the NRA and USCCA self defense insurance folks.