The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
That is a 50 percent increase from August 2020 prices. I can still find the little milk cartons of 125 rounds at Walmart for $24.44 on a regular basis.
View attachment 259035
There's definitely some regional strangeness with availability. The last time I was looking for .22 WMR at Walmart, they told me that they couldn't remember the last time they even saw any come in on a truck. Being that I only go into Walmart once a year or so when the wife gets a gift card for Christmas from work, I don't check much now. ;)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I have said this before, the Other Side, has been paying attention. Whatever they can do to complicate or exasperate the Ammo availability issue/problem, will be compounded if they have anything to do with it. (And they do.)

I am glad I (might) have a bit on hand from years of planning ahead.

Now is not the time to think, "Gee, I should stock up."

·
Premium Member
20,780 Posts
There's definitely some regional strangeness with availability. The last time I was looking for .22 WMR at Walmart, they told me that they couldn't remember the last time they even saw any come in on a truck. Being that I only go into Walmart once a year or so when the wife gets a gift card for Christmas from work, I don't check much now. ;)
My Walmart had a lot of this ammo. They also have had a lot of Federal Auto Match as of late. NO SHOTGUN SHELLS.

·
Registered
18,656 Posts
bass pro shop 45 miles away is getting a few boxes of ammo here and there in stock.. including a box of nosler 40gr boat tails in .224 that I needed the other day. they get about 1 brick of primers a week.. but odd stuff.. like federal match large pistol magnum. I still bought it anyway.

Truck drivers in general are in short supply in many areas. florida and about 4 other states are short bus drivers. in at least 1 state.. the gov has activated national guard to drive busses. 2 other states are about to follow.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
My Walmart had a lot of this ammo. They also have had a lot of Federal Auto Match as of late. NO SHOTGUN SHELLS.
Academy had shotgun shells. They have a 10 box limit on shotgun shells. There seems to be no discernible pattern in how regions are getting ammo.

·
Super Moderator
12,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hard to imagine that a CDL HAZMAT certification would be any harder than an FAA HAZMAT certification. We had to re-certify every year. Only takes a few hours.
I frogot, untill you mentioned this, but my friend also said powder and primers (all components} are required Hazmat,
Loaded cartridges are not. Go figure!

·
Registered
382 Posts
So this thread got me thinking (dangerous, I know!)... With the current push towards autonomous vehicles/trucks, how will hazmat items be handled? Will each individual truck have to be certified to carry hazmat materials or will they require a live body behind the wheel for hazmat?

·
Registered
6,629 Posts
So this thread got me thinking (dangerous, I know!)... With the current push towards autonomous vehicles/trucks, how will hazmat items be handled? Will each individual truck have to be certified to carry hazmat materials or will they require a live body behind the wheel for hazmat?
Whichever results in more money in the government coffers.

·
Super Moderator
12,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Im thinking theft will be a issue with no armed driver on board.

·
Super Moderator
30,079 Posts
You have to take the test everytime you renew your license, along with a background check, and live scan fingerprints. It was suppose to be a one time only, until they figured out how much they were making off of it.
I have never retested. I came close the last time that I had my license renewed because I waited until it was almost expired. Just had to run home and get some paperwork.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I have never retested. I came close the last time that I had my license renewed because I waited until it was almost expired. Just had to run home and get some paperwork.
There also use to be one test, that pretty much covered all the basics. Now there's a half dozen, that cover stuff you don't haul, or wouldn't haul if you had half a brain.
Good question! The shipper has the responsibility for correct packaging, paperwork etc. BUT...the driver has the responsibility that "all of that" is correct, because it's his neck in the noose when he gets pulled in the scales and checked. The fines "start" at $20K, for one infraction. That can be one misspelled product name or ID number. Until the fine is paid and the infraction is corrected, the whole truck is impounded, and the driver (if at fault) sits in jail.
Hospital supplies that I hauled/delivered, had it's own set of problems. They decided it was cheaper to let the warehouse morons load the trailers. The floor supervisors who were signing off on the paperwork, and the loaders, had no Haz-Mat certification! There were whole pallets of product that couldn't even be in the trailer, next to a pallet, with one hazmat item on it. I would get to a delivery, and the hospital receiving crew would break down a pallet of sterile surgery kits, and find 60gals of flammable liquid, pack in the center of it! I'm so glad I'm retired!

21 - 40 of 51 Posts