The best .45 1911?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

Tags:
  1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member Supporting Member

agent mango
    (8/8/01 9:13:08 pm)
    Reply The best .45 1911?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A simple question that deserves a complicated answer!

What company makes the best and why?

Note: I am not thinking about buying any one type of gun anytime in the future, I am just interested in what is quality for different types of products.

Edit: I am an idiot, I missed the post below. Admin, please kill this post.

Edited by: agent mango at: 8/8/01 11:07:04 pm

Xracer
    (8/8/01 10:42:16 pm)
    Reply Re: The best .45 1911?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, you'll probably get a lot of different opinions. I guess it depends on what you want to use it for....competition work (if so, what kind).....concealed carry (full size or short barrel).....home defense....general plinking????? How much do you want to spend?

When I became a 1911Nut, you had two choices....military surplus or Colt, so I built my own. Nowadays, there are all sorts of choices out there.

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/9/01 6:24:07 am)
    Ditto what Xracer said. The first 1911 I bought was from an Army surplus store in 1973. The next was a Colt Gold Cup. The choices now for good quality 1911's are great compared to then.

A very good choice available now is the Kimber Custom Classic $589 and Custom Classic Target , $670. Excellent Shooting pistols right out of the box. IMHO, The best production 1911 available today for what you spend.

Xracer
    (8/9/01 7:51:32 am)
    I've also heard good things about the Springfields.

Prices range from about $265 for an arsenal refurbished Argentine M1927 (License built M1911) to several thousand from custom builders.

agent mango
    (8/9/01 7:55:22 pm)
    Something with a 4 to 5 inch barrel that is good for defense and plinking.

Xracer
    (8/10/01 8:10:27 am)
    If you mean home (not carry) defense and plinking....since I'm a cheap Yankee, I'd be tempted by one of those Argentine M1927s, if they're still available.

I've seen and shot a few, and the accuracy and fit & finish were comperable to the commercial Colts of the time.....and, I believe that the parts were all interchangeable with the Colts, so if you wanted to add goodies later....no problem.

But, if you want to spent more, both Kimber and Springfield make very nice variety of 1911s.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (8/10/01 11:28:41 pm)
    For the money the Kimber is the best 1911 on the market.